Thai Girls Who Say "krap"

thaiman

I remember recently, some Americans were in Bangkok filming a movie and a rather well known black male movie star closed out his interview by saying "Sawatdee Ka."

a rather well known black male movie star ?

Are you worried that if you mention his name he'll be tracking you down and taking legal action against you? :)

I remember recently, some Americans were in Bangkok filming a movie and a rather well known black male movie star closed out his interview by saying "Sawatdee Ka."

Are you worried that if you mention his name he'll be tracking you down and taking legal action against you? :)

Being American, he bloody might.

Being American, he bloody might.

Actually you're both mistaken. I remember the interview but can't remember the guy's name.

My wife uses Ka in everyday conversation

Jarr with me all the time, and occasionally as an email header “Thankyou Jarr” when acknowledging receipt of an important work related project or report from a colleague.

She uses Krub when talking to young boys and sometimes in a lighthearted manner in a mixed gender office environment amongst friends.

The "jaa" is a common phrase in informal female communication and I often hear women on the phone saying "jaa, jaa, jaa" as they are listening to the other person. But you would always hear more polite phrasing when speaking with an official or someone like that.

In that case it means 'really?' and is not only used between females but by females to males also. (don't know about males/males, males/females)

I'm guessing you're not a troll, by your membership date... What did the "female" look like? A "Tom Boy?" Because a katoey would always, or at least when ever I have the unfortunate experience of running into one or hear them speaking, they try to speak in the female tense; ka. But I have heard "Tom Boys", butch lesbians speak in the male tense; "krop." We call them butch dykes in the US. They even have a group called dykes on bikes: Motorcycle Club. To each is his or her choice, I guess. Best wishes and good luck in "love" to everyone!!!

Im from the us and we called them "bull dykes"

same same, but different

I have seen a bit of misinformation in the postings. One of the main reasons for this is that it is tough to put Thai words into English, especially when there are some similar sounding words.

Here are the particles that will get you through Thailand. I can't type Thai on this keyboard, so you will have to look them up if you really want to pronounce them properly. Some of the below is open to a bit of interpretation, as hard and fast rules don't really exists.

Ja (two words, different tone)- 1) added to the end of a sentence to be polite in a more informal setting, mainly by women (though men can use it when speaking with someone they know fairly well or when they are trying to endear themselves to a woman). It is a more casual form of kha. 2) at the end of sentence, similar to saying ok, or I understand. You will see Thai women on the phone saying ja repeatedly, it means they are being told something and they are agreeing to it or saying they understand.

Jaa - is for romantic or other close relationships. As in hello "teerak jaa", or hello mother jaa. Putting jaa on the end of any sentence clearly means there is an intimate or very close relationship between two people – spouse, child, etc. Should not be over used.

Khrub – polite particle at the end of a sentence for men to use. Women can use it in certain circumstances. I hear business women use it a good deal when the wish to express their authority. As mentioned by others, women will also say it when they wish to teach others, or woman trying to act like a man. Some gender confused women will also use it – but it does not mean they are correct, just confused.

Khrub Phom – equivalent of "yes sir". A very polite means of saying khrub, but a must if addressing a higher ranking officer. You will likely hear this from very polite service or sales people. Also said to be sarcastic when someone orders you to do something - I say it to my girlfriend often.

Ha – said by children to adults to be polite.

Kha – polite particle for women to use. Men should only use it if they are a ladyboy, openly gay or in private with their girlfriend/wife/mia noi, or trying to seduce a woman. They may also say it to help teach someone Thai.

Na – there are two different tones for this one, each with a different meaning. 1) another polite particle you can add to the end of a sentence, mainly used to indicate a question. 2) It can also, if used in a different tone and mean something similar to please. If said repeatedly, as in na, na, na, it shows you are trying to convince someone to do something they don't want to do. Example "go with me to the movies, na, na, na" – really trying to convince someone to go with you.

Si – put at the end to make it more of a demand or a command, - come home Si! (pronounced like sea, but short)

Sa – do something quickly

Thur – do something quickly, or right now (this one is impossible to write in English)

Wha – rude particle at the end of a sentence, equal to a curse. As in aray, wha. Or what the F—K

Ya – same as Wha, but for women

Rawk – sometimes pronounced lawk: to make a negative statement seem not so rude or bad.

QUOTE (dvdlock @ 2010-06-02 00:30:33) My Thai wife of 15-years does this but only among friends and family. She says it's because Ka is a bit soft and girlie, nothing more.

Aren't girls supposed to be soft and girlie?

I'd be feeling a bit short-changed if i married a girl who wasn't.

Me too! lol, poor guy.

I'm quite surprised you hear anyone saying crap or crup, mainly because the r is silent (same as in jing and many other Thai words).

Cap or Cup is the usual from people who feel masculine.

The r is not silent in the same way it is in the word "jing". Every Thai person knows that the proper pronunciation is "khrap", they are just lazy because it's easier to pronounce without the r. That is not the case with jing, in which the r is always silent.

• 8 years later...