Thai Girls Who Say "krap"

thaiman

What gets to me and when you get some Issan speaking tosser who tries to be a smart ass by emphasizing the KR sound in krup.

Usually from taxi drivers or staff at subway.

That doesn't really bother too much, so long as their grammar is ok

What gets to me and when you get some Issan speaking tosser who tries to be a smart ass by emphasizing the KR sound in krup.

yea but it does get on your nerves. In normal spoken Thai that I have noticed - nobody really emphasizes and rolls the Rrrrr that much. They are trying to take the piss out of you (and usually 5 seconds later they say something equally ignorant to their buddies like "farang mai rieu"). Anyways, not really a Thai girl thing. Usually just some insecure male trying to be smarter than he actually is capable of.

Edited by bkkjames

Sometimes my wife finishes a sentence with the word; jaa, like Sawadee jaa.

So there is Krup, Ka and Jaa.

I don`t have a bladdy clue and this is all making my brain hurt. Anyway, ignorance is bliss.

Isn't Jaa Northern Thai (Chiang Mai/Lanna) version of Ka for the lady? My gf's from Chiang Mai and she never says Ka except when we are down south.

I don`t have a bladdy clue and this is all making my brain hurt. Anyway, ignorance is bliss.

Isn't Jaa Northern Thai (Chiang Mai/Lanna) version of Ka for the lady? My gf's from Chiang Mai and she never says Ka except when we are down south.

I think "jaow" is the word your looking for with regards to the north, and used by both men and woman. "Ja" more than likely descended from that. But that's not what this is about :)

I sometimes hear Thai women say it to little boys. I've also been told that its a bit flirty or romantic. I've also been told that its considered romantic for a male to occasionally end a sentence with a "kaa."

Just because a Thai girl says krab doesn't mean she is gay :)

Jaa means 'head of the household', or boss in other words.

In another form it means yes, usually as spoken by children to adults.

I think "jaow" is the word your looking for with regards to the north, and used by both men and woman. "Ja" more than likely descended from that. But that's not what this is about :D

Correct, getting my jaow and jaa mixed up! :)

I have been really enjoying this thread... Doesn't look like the OP is going to get an answer...

She could be a Tom... saying Khrup to assert her 'masculinity'...

She could be trying to help him learn, like Pii would with Nong...

She could be flirting with him, hoping he would reply with kaa (accepting a more submissive role in the relationship)...

She could be "A boss" asserting her authority, either over him, or just by habit...

Only answer seems to be to go back and gather more information...

nakaa...

Daewoo

I sometimes hear Thai women say it to little boys. I've also been told that its a bit flirty or romantic. I've also been told that its considered romantic for a male to occasionally end a sentence with a "kaa."

Just because a Thai girl says krab doesn't mean she is gay :)

Mothers say it to their sons so they get used to using krap correctly. Likewise, fathers use ka with their daughters.

Spouses, partners, etc use the opposite genders version (wife says krup, husband says ka) when they are being romantic or otherwise. Generally you can imagine as a term of affection/

Krap can be used with a hint of sarcasm by a female when she is receiving 'orders' from a male (krap phom)

Just because a Thai girl says krab doesn't mean she is gay :D

Mothers say it to their sons so they get used to using krap correctly. Likewise, fathers use ka with their daughters.

Spouses, partners, etc use the opposite genders version (wife says krup, husband says ka) when they are being romantic or otherwise. Generally you can imagine as a term of affection/

Krap can be used with a hint of sarcasm by a female when she is receiving 'orders' from a male (krap phom)

Thanks for clarifying. I know just enough Thai to be dangerous :)

yea but it does get on your nerves. In normal spoken Thai that I have noticed - nobody really emphasizes and rolls the Rrrrr that much. They are trying to take the piss out of you (and usually 5 seconds later they say something equally ignorant to their buddies like "farang mai rieu"). Anyways, not really a Thai girl thing. Usually just some insecure male trying to be smarter than he actually is capable of.

This is what I'm trying to understand and thanks for bringing this up. Thais are so subtle when trying to get a "one up" or when "mocking" farang. It's these small things you start to notice when you've been here for a long time. So let me ask again: Is the girl who says "krap" trying to mess with me or trying to help me with my language? My gut feeling everytime is that they are playing their subtle tactics on a farang.

This is what I'm trying to understand and thanks for bringing this up. Thais are so subtle when trying to get a "one up" or when "mocking" farang. It's these small things you start to notice when you've been here for a long time. So let me ask again: Is the girl who says "krap" trying to mess with me or trying to help me with my language? My gut feeling everytime is that they are playing their subtle tactics on a farang.

OK..right, you gonna have to give a very clear and precise example, otherwise it's going to be impossible to even try to answer correctly, if it is at all possible to answer, and your original thread will just go way off topic>

On a related subject, when I was teaching quite a lot of the boys used "chan" as the personal pronoun. Not katoys or gay kids especially, as far as I know. What do you know about that?

Chan is not used exclusively by women. Though less common, it can be used by males, usually with people they know well. If you read the Thai subtitles on a movie, you will find that chan is used by male speakers pretty well as often as pom. The "I" word used exclusively by women, usually considered more polite, is "dichan".

OK..right, you gonna have to give a very clear and precise example, otherwise it's going to be impossible to even try to answer correctly, if it is at all possible to answer, and your original thread will just go way off topic>

I found a few Tom types like to use Khap to go along with their buzzed hair, male shirts. Even seen one or two use the male toilet - and not trying to get a look in at me - they didn't attempt the urinal though. :)

A lot of people in Isan use "ja" as well. Wat dee ja

Jaow here usually means you, or kun. Koy means me for a male or female speaker. In Laos too.

There's also a doc that sometimes goes on the end of sentences in Isan which I believe is something like a kap or ka. Bor ben yang doc is mai pen rai. I haven't spent a lot of time in Laos, but when I have I've only heard bor ben yang deur, deur being something like leuy.

I have been really enjoying this thread... Doesn't look like the OP is going to get an answer...

She could be a Tom... saying Khrup to assert her 'masculinity'...

She could be trying to help him learn, like Pii would with Nong...

She could be flirting with him, hoping he would reply with kaa (accepting a more submissive role in the relationship)...

She could be "A boss" asserting her authority, either over him, or just by habit...

Only answer seems to be to go back and gather more information...

nakaa...

Daewoo

Agreed! One would have to know the situation in which it was used...

Jaa is the Thai equivalent of Dear, as in English it can have different meanings depending on the emphasis , work collegues use it al the time, friends use it when they are wheedling a favour from another friend and sometimes it is used in business for familiar politeness, ditto with Khap, my GF uses it sometimes as do other close women friends usually in response to a statement using Krap from my side.

It's just sarcasm, plain and simple. Weather it's light hearted or with downgrading intent, depends on the context. Nothing at all do with tomboys or lessies

Took dtong na krap !

A lot of this discussion needs to be kept in context, namely formal and informal conversations.

In the west, we may say hello informally to a friend by saying "Hey, what's up?" On the other hand, we might answer a phone at work by saying "Good afternoon, this is Joe Schmoe, how may I help you?"

The Thai people and their use of Thai language is no different. People in the village will usually say "wat dee" or "wat dee ja" to a friend or family. But this will immediately change to a "sawatdee ka" in more formal circumstances.

The "jaa" is a common phrase in informal female communication and I often hear women on the phone saying "jaa, jaa, jaa" as they are listening to the other person. But you would always hear more polite phrasing when speaking with an official or someone like that.

It's no different than the use of masculine/feminine phrasing in Spanish, French, Italian and other languages (el nino, la cuenta, etc.)

As for the "Khrap-pom," I usually get this from the more polite and professional taxi drivers, and usually after I have engaged them in conversation in Thai, or have given them a direction like go here or stop there. A lot of taxi drivers will just say khrap, khrap, khrap, but the use of "khrap pom" to me is an indication of a driver's professionalism and respect for me as a customer.

Without a doubt, the worst thing I've ever seen with the use of jaa, khrap, ka, etc., is when a western male uses the word Ka instead of Khrap. I remember recently, some Americans were in Bangkok filming a movie and a rather well known black male movie star closed out his interview by saying "Sawatdee Ka."

A lot of this discussion needs to be kept in context, namely formal and informal conversations.

In the west, we may say hello informally to a friend by saying "Hey, what's up?" On the other hand, we might answer a phone at work by saying "Good afternoon, this is Joe Schmoe, how may I help you?"

The Thai people and their use of Thai language is no different. People in the village will usually say "wat dee" or "wat dee ja" to a friend or family. But this will immediately change to a "sawatdee ka" in more formal circumstances.

The "jaa" is a common phrase in informal female communication and I often hear women on the phone saying "jaa, jaa, jaa" as they are listening to the other person. But you would always hear more polite phrasing when speaking with an official or someone like that.

It's no different than the use of masculine/feminine phrasing in Spanish, French, Italian and other languages (el nino, la cuenta, etc.)

As for the "Khrap-pom," I usually get this from the more polite and professional taxi drivers, and usually after I have engaged them in conversation in Thai, or have given them a direction like go here or stop there. A lot of taxi drivers will just say khrap, khrap, khrap, but the use of "khrap pom" to me is an indication of a driver's professionalism and respect for me as a customer.

Without a doubt, the worst thing I've ever seen with the use of jaa, khrap, ka, etc., is when a western male uses the word Ka instead of Khrap. I remember recently, some Americans were in Bangkok filming a movie and a rather well known black male movie star closed out his interview by saying "Sawatdee Ka."

Jaaaaaaaaa.