Nature

soohk

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 11:55 PM, Philchumphon said:

Aka Dryas Iulia 

Pap Aka Dryas Iulia.jpg

Nice shot  - The Julia Butterfly is a native of the central American region and has invaded Thailand and is spreading.  First collected in Chumpon in 2007.  It is spreading southward through Malaysia. It was thought that the wild Thai population was from escaped animals from the Phuket Butterfly gardens however barcode investigation reveals a different subspecies D. iulia Hispaniola from Costa Rica.  These are commonly exported around the world.

• Like 2

This caterpillar has been living on a tree next to my home for the past 2 weeks. When I see it, it has moved few meters up or down. Sometimes it's not there, but the next day it returns to the same place on a tree trunk. I suppose it travels up to the tree to have a night time dinner.

It's maybe 12cm long. 

Any idea what this could be and become? 

29440096565_26ddb0fe86_z.jpg

4 hours ago, oilinki said:

This caterpillar has been living on a tree next to my home for the past 2 weeks. When I see it, it has moved few meters up or down. Sometimes it's not there, but the next day it returns to the same place on a tree trunk. I suppose it travels up to the tree to have a night time dinner.

It's maybe 12cm long. 

Any idea what this could be and become? 

29440096565_26ddb0fe86_z.jpg

Underwing caterpillar?

http://somethingscrawlinginmyhair.com/2012/11/03/large-underwing-caterpillar-and-adult/

Thanks. It could be that family. I underestimated the length. It's actually 18cm long. 

I took a photo as it was still on the tree. However trying to mingle the measuring tape to 2.5 from my balcony was a bit challenging. :)

29444563775_b21a5d060d_z.jpg

On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 5:30 AM, Mousehound said:

Nice shot  - The Julia Butterfly is a native of the central American region and has invaded Thailand and is spreading.  First collected in Chumpon in 2007.  It is spreading southward through Malaysia. It was thought that the wild Thai population was from escaped animals from the Phuket Butterfly gardens however barcode investigation reveals a different subspecies D. iulia Hispaniola from Costa Rica.  These are commonly exported around the world.

Thank you for this information..
Phil

4 hours ago, Ron19 said:

Previous images from the Creepy Crawley thread which has been closed can be found here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/612591-creepy-crawlies/#comment-6027081

Pity it's been closed. I like close-ups of creepy-crawlies. Glad to see some are being posted here.

• Like 2

Me2501 has some wonderful photos, keep them coming! 

Btw. What if the Creepy crawlers etc closed topics would be listed under 'Previously pinned topics' while it could be renamed 'Previously pinned and closed topics' ?

Then my main question. Thaivisa newsletter mentioned a 'Wildlife photography tips' topic, but the link directed to a error page. The topic sounded good and I wonder if it's somewhere? I didn't find it using search.

Mandatory nature photography (this is actually from Penang national park, Malaysia, but don't tell anyone)
29147078282_ff37f3668b_c.jpg