Nature

soohk

Hey guys, lets try and keep this to Thailand related!...  

For Jetsetbkk question re bugs on the "false azalea" ... I have never seen bugs on them... But I would suggest that if just a few like you have shown, pince off with fingers and squeeze!  Or rather than using harsh chemicals perhaps try spraying with Sunlight dish detergent;)

• Like 2

Top marks there Goomps!

Beautiful focus and composition!

Apologies for my previous post,just had another look at it and it is far too dark!!!

I really should invest in a faster lens for this kind of photography,trying to capture things from the 'small world',really

shouldn't be done with a slow mid range zoom.Here is another shot of the same ??? (what are they actually?),this time

from a different angle and a little bit brighter.

Thanks Shaggy ,

Sure is not easy to get hand held manual focus images , especially when your focal plane @2.8 is less than 2 mm. thick. Even shooting a little closed in still requires one to be on the right plane for the composition and as you know bugs don't hang around long mate .  I think you are doing a cracking job at it though , shoot , you must be the allrounder when it comes to toggin '...

ps , I think they are dragonflies mate :crazy:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Goompa said:

Sure is not easy to get hand held manual focus images , especially when your focal plane @2.8 is less than 2 mm. thick. Even shooting a little closed in still requires one to be on the right plane for the composition and as you know bugs don't hang around long mate .  I think you are doing a cracking job at it though , shoot , you must be the allrounder when it comes to toggin '...

I got utterly frustrated when trying macro photography as it was virtually impossible to get the enough of the subject in focus. Any focus bracketing would not help as the little buggers tend to move around. 

I figured it's best just to enjoy and appreciate the works of Goompa and others :) 

Talking about frustration.. swifts are one fast little buggers. I spent an hour to watch them drink from a lake and failed to get any photo where the swift was touching the water. I put my Canon sx50 to 'sports' mode and tried..and tried .. and tried :D

This was the best shot I got, out of 100 or so frames. 

Then again, it was fun to watch their behaviour. So no real harm done as always when trying to capture the nature.

29632253721_5031bdd391_c.jpg

16 hours ago, Ron19 said:

On Goomps advice I am investing in a dedicated macro lens to further my interest in this field. He recommends one which hopefully my brother will bring with him when he comes here on the 3rd of October.

Sent from my iris 755 using Tapatalk

I am sure you will enjoy close up togging a lot more Ron , having a dedicated lens really helps the genre . It may seem a little daunting at first but when you start to get the hang of it you will become obsessed.

I would suggest starting with auto focus and progress into manual when you become a little more comfortable with the unit .

I try and make a priority to use shutter speed as the core of my shooting style as bugs don't keep still long .

disclaimer ; I recommended a less expensive lens in the range of lenses available for Ron to start with , there are many alternatives to choose from on the market . JMO

Have fun ...

Goompa

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goompa said:

I am sure you will enjoy close up togging a lot more Ron , having a dedicated lens really helps the genre . It may seem a little daunting at first but when you start to get the hang of it you will become obsessed.

I would suggest starting with auto focus and progress into manual when you become a little more comfortable with the unit .

I try and make a priority to use shutter speed as the core of my shooting style as bugs don't keep still long .

disclaimer ; I recommended a less expensive lens in the range of lenses available for Ron to start with , there are many alternatives to choose from on the market . JMO

Have fun ...

Goompa

No need for a disclaimer, I am sure that I will appreciate the one you suggested. My situation doesn't allow me to go for top of the range, firstly I can't afford to and secondly when my wife finds out what I've done I will have to take care of certain parts of my anatomy if I see her with a knife in her hand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goompa said:

Great shot of that little lizard shaggy , which lens were you using to get that ?

That Sony sure does have some great DR mate , maybe have to get some better glass for mine I thinking .......:(

Cheers fella,believe it or not,that was taken with my old box standard 55-210 mm kit lens @ ƒ/6.3, 210.0 mm, 1/400,

ISO 320

• Like 1