Nature

soohk

22 hours ago, Ron19 said:

Will try to improve on this specimen when the new lens arrives after the 3rd of October.

Good to see you are getting a handle on your close-up images Ron , when you get some new glass I am sure you will be amazed . All about practice mate.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 3:24 PM, Goompa said:

Good to see you are getting a handle on your close-up images Ron , when you get some new glass I am sure you will be amazed . All about practice mate.

As it turns out I have had a dedicated Macro lens for some time.

Two years ago my brother gave me a Sony 4.5 - 5.6 / 75 - 300 1.5 / 4.9ft Macro Manual Focus.

Didn't realise until during the week, had a try of it but had trouble focusing but that could be my eyes.

My 1st effort with it is a Marigold that I have just posted in the Flowers thread.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ron19 said:

As it turns out I have had a dedicated Macro lens for some time.

Two years ago my brother gave me a Sony 4.5 - 5.6 / 75 - 300 1.5 / 4.9ft Macro Manual Focus.

Didn't realise until during the week, had a try of it but had trouble focusing but that could be my eyes.

My 1st effort with it is a Marigold that I have just posted in the Flowers thread.

In all due respect Ron , a tele-zoom with a macro switch is not really a macro lens as such. Sure it has the capability to take an image to some degree of a macro mage , but it does have limitations in the event of aperture and dof.

Capable of taking a nice sharp image and purposeful as a zoom as well the limitations are in the construction of the lens as it is not a true "Macro" lens. Image compression is a trade off for the dual purpose of the lens and a non-fixed aperture results in the camera having to use a slower shutter speed in auto to compensate for the smaller f stop. Stopping down a lens or having a lens with a smaller ap. or f stop increases the dof and as a result negates fall off. There is also the addition of distortion as a result of the engineering involved to make the lens a dual purpose unit , though can be fixed to a degree in post.  Your flower image looks ok , though as you may be able to see there is not a lot of separation from the background imo Just my opinion mate I am not an expert and I would enjoy @FracturedRabbit input to my argument if he would kindly assist .

Nonetheless Ron I am keen to see what you can deliver with your find , rule #1 the camera takes the image in the viewfinder , you press the button...........  I am just a hacker though , no credentials.

Cheers

• Like 2

When I try to think about macro (and most nature) photography, purely based of physics, it would benefit to have a large sensor and a sensor which manages to capture and differentiate smallest amount of light with a small aperture as possible in the shortest of the time possible. 

Real macro photography is different compared to trying to isolate the subject with a wide opening as the focus length is not enough for macro shots. 

Then again, It's great to hear other opinions and learn from them.

54 minutes ago, FracturedRabbit said:

A rather abrupt, and given your position, surprising,  response to Goompa very politely pointing out that your lens is probably not a true macro; which it isn't.

i hid it.... Long day for Ron? :goof:

I must try and use my macro lens more, trouble is every time I do the wind or even a breeze seems  to come up.... :sad:

9 hours ago, FracturedRabbit said:

A rather abrupt, and given your position, surprising,  response to Goompa very politely pointing out that your lens is probably not a true macro; which it isn't.

9 hours ago, FracturedRabbit said:

I am sorry but this appears to be taken the wrong way and was my comment to Goompa's last comment which was "    I am just a hacker though , no credentials. " This comment would not be out of place amongst mates in Australia and is meant as a compliment.

8 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

I must try and use my macro lens more, trouble is every time I do the wind or even a breeze seems  to come up.... :sad:

I am sorry but this appears to be taken the wrong way and was my comment to Goompa's last comment which was "    I am just a hacker though , no credentials.

13 hours ago, Goompa said:

In all due respect Ron , a tele-zoom with a macro switch is not really a macro lens as such. Sure it has the capability to take an image to some degree of a macro mage , but it does have limitations in the event of aperture and dof.

Capable of taking a nice sharp image and purposeful as a zoom as well the limitations are in the construction of the lens as it is not a true "Macro" lens. Image compression is a trade off for the dual purpose of the lens and a non-fixed aperture results in the camera having to use a slower shutter speed in auto to compensate for the smaller f stop. Stopping down a lens or having a lens with a smaller ap. or f stop increases the dof and as a result negates fall off. There is also the addition of distortion as a result of the engineering involved to make the lens a dual purpose unit , though can be fixed to a degree in post.  Your flower image looks ok , though as you may be able to see there is not a lot of separation from the background imo Just my opinion mate I am not an expert and I would enjoy @FracturedRabbit input to my argument if he would kindly assist .

Nonetheless Ron I am keen to see what you can deliver with your find , rule #1 the camera takes the image in the viewfinder , you press the button...........  I am just a hacker though , no credentials.

Cheers

I made a comment with regards to your comment " I am just a hacker though , no credentials."

My comment was " Bullshit " which I would hope you being Australian would realise is meant as a compliment.Some members have taken this as a put down to you but that is certainly not  meant to be that way.

I hope you didn't take offence and if you did , I am sorry. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

Not a long day at all, you  have taken this the wrong way completely.

No problems from my end , never got to see your reply post so I guess I can figure it out from the after posts , We Aussies have a different way of communicating , thanks for your apology Ron but not required in the least .

Yes Ron was stating that I am not a " Hacker " in his reply to me stating I am :smile: .

Thanks FR for your posting and for helping me explain things a little clearer ,sometimes I just get confused and cannot elaborate to well .

Some great images on your page as well ,

Cheers