Nature

soohk

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 10:08 PM, shaggy1969 said:

Well spotted me2501!!!

Caught this dragonfly in our back garden,sitting on the old chicken shed.Didn't realize,until I focused in,that it had a wasp (I think) in it's clutches and was preparing itself some breakfast.Quite amazing and at the same time shocking, to watch nature at work.

Sony a6000 coupled with my CZ Sonnar, 1/200 sec, ISO 500 and judging by the high ISO,I would guess around f/8 for the aperture.

Being a manual aperture,the f stop is not recorded with the exif data.

29737035851_e5ba0001f3_h.jpg

.........Goomps, will be back!!!

Outstanding shot.  This looks like a young imm. Blue Skimmer.  The female stays yellow/orange  but the male develops a bright blue bloom as it ages.  The blue is a form of algae.  These dragonflies are the Apache helicopter

of the insect world.  Getting them in focus whilst in flight is a real challenge.

^ Brilliant stuff, me2501!

This video is nowhere near as detailed or clear, even when viewed at 1080p, but it was dark and good fun to watch the bat flying around. He/she didn't seem to mind that I was standing directly in the flight path:

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:48 PM, Assurancetourix said:

This morning during my MTBike balade

Olympus TG 860 - 49 mm ( macro position )

29969561852_7777b414e4_b.jpg

Coleopterans can be pretty hard to identify.  At first I thought this was certainly a Tenebrionidae (true Darkling Beetle).  The pie-dish shape and colour being diagnostic.  Then I thought about the claws being uneven which pushed me to thinking, for a moment, about Rulelinae - which contains the Christmas Beetles - but these are bright and often metallic colours.  Then I thought about the powerful digging claws and swung toward the Scarabaeidae Dynastinae - Rhinoceros and elephant beetles.  On closer inspection the claws in the picture may well be even and the right upper claw just a trick of the angle .  So my money (for a day or so at least) is on the latter group.  But I could be wrong, so if any one knows for sure I would like to know.

20 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Bug on my Desert Rose :

Desert Rose bug DSC06091.JPG

RIP bug.

giggle.gif

A caterpillar of the Nymphalidae group of butterflies.  And, to be pedantic not a bug,.  Think I would have sacrifices a few leaves of a rose in exchange for a stunning butterfly. 

Archived