Pun Pun Veggie Restaurant

Drew Aitch

Hi forum.

I decided to eventually go and check out the Pun Pun Veggie restaurant today for breakfast. I arrived at Wat Suan Dok around 09:45 and headed to the rear of the temple. The directions on the web say it's at the back of the temple grounds on the right hand side and that there's a visible sign for the restaurant.

Could I find it? Unfortunately not! I saw no tables, chairs, cooks, or diners, nor did I smell any food cooking at any point. It might have been a bit early though, and because I'm not totally sure what to look for other than the sign at the rear, I buggered off home and had a microwave curry.

Directions seem easy enough when written down, but the fact of the matter I just couldn't locate the joint! So I gave up after 20 minutes of searching and asking a couple of locals in the adjacent soi, who just said Mai Loo Ka/Krap

Can anyone here explain to me how to find this place as if I were a 5 year old?

Thanks in advance

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

If i remember correctly, you go in the main entrance and keep going stright and looking at the right side. You go past the big temple on your right and a school on your left and on the right side there is a huge tree and a bunch of booths - but set away from the road a bit.

If i remember correctly, you go in the main entrance and keep going stright and looking at the right side. You go past the big temple on your right and a school on your left and on the right side there is a huge tree and a bunch of booths - but set away from the road a bit.

Thanks Ulysses G.

It sounds like i went along the route you mention, but still couldn't see a seating area, any dining activity, or the sign they talk about. I bet when i do eventually find it i'll kick myself for passing it by a dozens times :)

Btw, i was on the motorbike, and cannot enter from the front anyway because there's a kind of strip across the entrance stopping vehicles. So i rode in from the rear but to no avail. Guess I'll have another go on Thursday as it seems they're shut on Wednesdays.

Thanks for your response.

Aitch

Why not go into the Monk's chat room and ask there in English? Or aren't they open in the morning? :)

edit: I've been there twice and both times also I had difficulties to find it. The food is delicious though. :D

Edited by Nienke

Why not go into the Monk's chat room and ask there in English? Or aren't they open in the morning? :)

edit: I've been there twice and both times also I had difficulties to find it. The food is delicious though. :D

Hi Nienke

I did think of that, but being a school type of complex, i wasn't sure if it was okay to just causally roam in and out of the buildings. This is why i simply asked a couple of locals in the adjacent soi.

Oh well, never mind, I'm sure i'll find it on the next attempt. I just wondered where the bloody sign was which is the best way to locate anything be it a public toilet, government office, or any pub or restaurant etc :D

Cheers all.

Aitch

Hi Nienke

I did think of that, but being a school type of complex, i wasn't sure if it was okay to just causally roam in and out of the buildings. This is why i simply asked a couple of locals in the adjacent soi.

Oh well, never mind, I'm sure i'll find it on the next attempt. I just wondered where the bloody sign was which is the best way to locate anything be it a public toilet, government office, or any pub or restaurant etc :D

Cheers all.

Aitch

It is tucked away round the back of the modern buildings, past the one on the right where they hold Monk Chat. It is set back under a large tree & is easy to miss. But it is fine to just wander around until you locate it. They food is good & their special drinks like pun pun pun are wonderful. And the prices are amazingly low considering the quality & the quantity. I am a regular customer & have never been disappointed with any of my selections.smile.gif

Ive been meaning to write a topic like this for ages Aitch! You are not the only one. Ive tried on 4 occasions to find it!! As you say, nobody you ask seems to know where the heck it is. Even inside the temple grounds, ive gotten "mai roo". Once i was directed further up the road when i asked for ran ahaan pun pun..ben ran ahaan Jay. They sent me up to a regular jay restaurant, so ended up eating there.

Honestly..i thought i was going crazy not being able to find it. If anyone does go in the near future, a pic/map/detailed instructions etc would be great. AND, even better, let the owners know that people are struggling to find it. I would go regularly except that i get so frustrated trying to find it and give up. I imagine they have lost several potential customers because they are not well signed/easy to find.

Bearnagh, as helpful as that is, most people looking for a veggie restaurant probably arent looking for a meat alternative... :):D

Bearnagh, as helpful as that is, most people looking for a veggie restaurant probably arent looking for a meat alternative... :):D

Of course it must be much more "fun" to guide people to a restaurant they cannot find by a series of multiple cryptic clues than to offer the obvious, simple solution .... a web-link. Bit of a paradox, especially when the discussion is taking place right here on the internet.... how curious and quaint!

From the front gate on Suthep Road just go straight past the big hall (will be on your right) keep going past the monk chat building (also on your right), and just after that will be a garden area (again on your right)

Turn right on to the path in that garden area (there's a bar across the path blocking bikes from memory) about 10 or 20 metres down that path is the restaurant (open air, under a large tree and umbrella tables) - it's on your right as you are walking down that garden path.

A web link to a non vegetarian restaurant that isnt the one the OP requested seems the obvious simple solution?

It was offered in the spirit of a little bit of light-hearted humour. Guess that doesn't work here on TV.

Ive been meaning to write a topic like this for ages Aitch! You are not the only one. Ive tried on 4 occasions to find it!! As you say, nobody you ask seems to know where the heck it is. Even inside the temple grounds, ive gotten "mai roo". Once i was directed further up the road when i asked for ran ahaan pun pun..ben ran ahaan Jay. They sent me up to a regular jay restaurant, so ended up eating there.

Well thank god for that. I thought I was going nuts! I mean, it's within the walls I was standing yet it was like playing hide and seek with the joint. Are we sure Pun Pun is not on wheels like the local street vendors? Yes, that's probably it, and they dart around the grounds dodging the sun and any customers they don't like the look of :D

Seriously though, I'm sure they know it's a sod to find, and one can't help but wonder if they don't make it easier to find on purpose. Even their directions on the official site are a bit vague for first timers. Maybe they're not allowed to put signs up outside and inside the grounds directing folks to their tables, who knows! Google maps show the exact location from an aerial view, but didn't help much walking around at ground level :D

ogb - thanks for the detailed directions. I'll take them with me next time. Guess I'll have to find a spot to park the bike out front if I'm to follow them exactly.

Bearnag - I've been to the meat eating Pun Pun, and the grub was great and plentiful, but right now I'm trying to get a little healthier. So piping hot succulent sausages, fried eggs, golden brown home fries, baked beans and sizzling bacon etc, are not exactly going to help me achieve my goals. Dam, I'm drooling all over the keyboard just thinking about that plate of pleasure :D

Anyhow, back to the plants! I'll let you all know how I got on come Thursday (closed tomorrow)

Heck, it must be silly season because I've never seen so many replies to such a plain ole request for a food stall :)

Aitch

Well thank god for that. I thought I was going nuts! I mean, it's within the walls I was standing yet it was like playing hide and seek with the joint. Are we sure Pun Pun is not on wheels like the local street vendors? Yes, that's probably it, and they dart around the grounds dodging the sun and any customers they don't like the look of :D

Seriously though, I'm sure they know it's a sod to find, and one can't help but wonder if they don't make it easier to find on purpose. Even their directions on the official site are a bit vague for first timers. Maybe they're not allowed to put signs up outside and inside the grounds directing folks to their tables, who knows! Google maps show the exact location from an aerial view, but didn't help much walking around at ground level :D

ogb - thanks for the detailed directions. I'll take them with me next time. Guess I'll have to find a spot to park the bike out front if I'm to follow them exactly.

[b]Bearnag[/b] - I've been to the meat eating Pun Pun, and the grub was great and plentiful, but right now I'm trying to get a little healthier. So piping hot succulent sausages, fried eggs, golden brown home fries, baked beans and sizzling bacon etc, are not exactly going to help me achieve my goals. Dam, I'm drooling all over the keyboard just thinking about that plate of pleasure :DAnyhow, back to the plants! I'll let you all know how I got on come Thursday (closed tomorrow)

Heck, it must be silly season because I've never seen so many replies to such a plain ole request for a food stall :)

Aitch

BBBbbbbuuuuuuuurpppppppppppp :D:D:D

Have a look at Pun Pun Organic Vegetarian restaurant, Wat Suan Dok, Chiang Mai | Earthoria which shows the location of the restaurant within the temple grounds. On their own website (http://www.punpunthailand.org/?page_id=82) they indicate that they are open every day.

Thanks Offroadlanna :D

I've actually been through that site and viewed the photos, listened to the podcast, and zoomed in on the Google map etc, but when in the actual grounds, i just could not locate the retched restaurant as depicted in the photo, and that was the reason for this post. But anyway, with all the help and guidance given so far, if i cannot find it next time, then it's off somewhere for big plate of Bangers & Mash. I'll let the weeds continue to grow around Pun Pun for all the true vegetarians and vegans out there who could probably sniff their way to the pots anyway :)

Aitch

Have a look at Pun Pun Organic Vegetarian restaurant, Wat Suan Dok, Chiang Mai | Earthoria which shows the location of the restaurant within the temple grounds. On their own website (http://www.punpunthailand.org/?page_id=82) they indicate that they are open every day.

Thanks Offroadlanna :D

I've actually been through that site and viewed the photos, listened to the podcast, and zoomed in on the Google map etc, but when in the actual grounds, i just could not locate the retched restaurant as depicted in the photo, and that was the reason for this post. But anyway, with all the help and guidance given so far, if i cannot find it next time, then it's off somewhere for big plate of Bangers & Mash. I'll let the weeds continue to grow around Pun Pun for all the true vegetarians and vegans out there who could probably sniff their way to the pots anyway :)

Aitch

Hi Drew,

First time I went I looked 15 minutes for the place and could not find it. Second time I took a Thai friend and she asked a couple of monks and they had no clue. We finally found it but it was closed and look like it was closed for some time. Maybe it still is

R'steeltje

nt I looked 15 minutes for the place and could not find it. Second time I took a Thai friend and she asked a couple of monks and they had no clue. We finally found it but it was closed and look like it was closed for some time. Maybe it still is

Hi Rsteeltje

Like the previous poster said it is closed on Wednesdays. I hope it was a Wednesday when you went? It certainly has (or had), a reputation for being extremely healthy, yet incredibly delicious food (even for meat eaters), and at affordable prices too. I'm trying to 'health-up' a bit, and a few potential meals a week at this place was something i've been looking forward to.

I was going tomorrow for another look at breakfast time, but now have a prior appointment. I'll most likely head over their again on Friday morning. I'll keep the forum posted.

Cheers

Aitch

I just had lunch there. Yes, they say they start serving at 9 and are closed on Wednesdays, as previously mentioned. The location is on the back side of the Monk Chat building.

Part of the inquiring problem may just be the pronunciation. To my US-English eyes and ears a more appropriate spelling may be "Pahn Pahn." Both words are pronounced the same even though they have different spellings in Thai, meaning "1,000 Varieties."

I just had lunch there. Yes, they say they start serving at 9 and are closed on Wednesdays, as previously mentioned. The location is on the back side of the Monk Chat building.

Part of the inquiring problem may just be the pronunciation. To my US-English eyes and ears a more appropriate spelling may be "Pahn Pahn." Both words are pronounced the same even though they have different spellings in Thai, meaning "1,000 Varieties."

Thanks for the update Mr Brad :D Nice to know it's still there. If i can't find it on my next visit, then i probably need a mental health check-up :)

Aitch

Another thing to keep in mind is that they close for 2 or 3 weeks every April when all of the leaves fall off of the big tree which is their only form of climate control there.

Don't be put off by the discomfort there. The food is amazing. Actually I was very surprised the last time I was there about 2 months back that they actually replaced 3 or 4 of the chairs and stools and repaired another 2 or 3.

Seriously the food is really good there and the staff are very nice people. MrBrad is correct with regard to the pronunciation of the name of the place.

Edited by elektrified

Well if you can't find the veggie one, might as well go straight to the meat-eating one.....

[deleted - punpun restaurant link]

:)

I'm sure Gonzo the Face will pluck the sausage outa your Superman Breakfast..voila a veggie brekky..

Just a little word from the Superman sausage plucker, while I have never had the pleasure of visiting the Pun Pun Veg Rest. I have heard many fine reports on it...

I would like to write a little, drawing on years of experience with the use and pronunciation of the word " Pun Pun ". If you are speaking to a local or listening to a local then it may come out somewhat sounding like Bhun Bhun , even if the local tries to write it out in English it would come out that way. So that may in some small way be part of the problem....

Now if the person speaking is more European, it may come out or sound like Poon Poon....

In telling the pronunciation to folks, I simply say if you go out to have a good time you have FUN not FOON, that ususally brings somewhat of a smile and a forevermore memory correction...

Now wishing continued success to the Bhun Bhun Wegetarian Lestaurant, I will go back to my sausage plucking...... but....... I draw the line at bacon plucking..

Gonzo

A lot of people rave about the food at (veggie) Pun Pun, but I do not find it to be more than average Thai vegetarian food. It is the atmosphere of the place that I really like.

I actually prefer the taste of the food at some of the super-cheap Ahhan-J veggie places taround CM that prepare everything in advance and serve it on brown rice.

A lot of people rave about the food at (veggie) Pun Pun, but I do not find it to be more than average Thai vegetarian food. It is the atmosphere of the place that I really like.

I actually prefer the taste of the food at some of the super-cheap Ahhan-J veggie places taround CM that prepare everything in advance and serve it on brown rice.

Any super cheap ones in particular UG?

I've given up trying to find the veggie Pun Pun.

It is too hard to explain where they are on here and there are others close by, so it gets even more confusing. They are much more difficult to locate than veggie Pun Pun. Stop by my workplace sometime and I will draw a map.

Edited by Ulysses G.