Kata Confusion

squiggly

Hi

I am thinking of staying in Kata, Phuket for a few days after I arrive in TL. I have been looking at the best place to find a hotel (there are so many of them, makes it hard to choose =P) ... but have been confused by lots of contradictory claims, some saying that "northside" (kata central) is the shopping/dining/nightlife area - while others claim that hotels southside (e.g. Sugar Palm Resort) are in the middle of town etc (they cant both be true...or can they??)

I want to enjoy the best of the beach, aswell as shopping/eating etc. - where should I stay? Northside seems to have more action, but southside has better beach access. Should I find somewhere in the middle (I have been tempted by Sawasdee Village)? Or is Kata small enough that it really doesn't matter?

More generally, I would love to hear any stories/experiences ppl have had staying in Kata.

Cheers

The southern end of the beach is generally better as it has the nicest part of the beach and hotels that back onto it. The northern bit goes inland slightly where it meets with the bottom end of Karon Beach. This is where most of the bars and shops are, but there is also shopping and some bars at the southern end where the road goes up towards Kata Noi (Little Kata). The Boat House in the south is one of the nicest hotels, backing right onto the beach and fronting a couple of decent bars. :)

mom-tris-boathouse-phuket.jpg

The southern end of the beach is generally better as it has the nicest part of the beach and hotels that back onto it. The northern bit goes inland slightly where it meets with the bottom end of Karon Beach. This is where most of the bars and shops are, but there is also shopping and some bars at the southern end where the road goes up towards Kata Noi (Little Kata). The Boat House in the south is one of the nicest hotels, backing right onto the beach and fronting a couple of decent bars. :)

Thanks! I think I am starting to get a better picture now...

Hi

I am thinking of staying in Kata, Phuket for a few days after I arrive in TL. I have been looking at the best place to find a hotel (there are so many of them, makes it hard to choose =P) ... but have been confused by lots of contradictory claims, some saying that "northside" (kata central) is the shopping/dining/nightlife area - while others claim that hotels southside (e.g. Sugar Palm Resort) are in the middle of town etc (they cant both be true...or can they??)

I want to enjoy the best of the beach, aswell as shopping/eating etc. - where should I stay? Northside seems to have more action, but southside has better beach access. Should I find somewhere in the middle (I have been tempted by Sawasdee Village)? Or is Kata small enough that it really doesn't matter?

More generally, I would love to hear any stories/experiences ppl have had staying in Kata.

Cheers

They are both true.

Further, your information is completely correct.

I don't agree that the Southern end is the nicest part of the beach BTW, but that is personal.

Kata Center (central) is dead now. The Sugar Palm area is perfect for Beach and shopping. From Sugar palm to the center is about a 20-30 min walk. Hooker bars are on the north end if that is what you want. plenty of little bars on the south end too regular bars

Go on tripadvisor.com forum too for more info

I don't agree that the Southern end is the nicest part of the beach BTW, but that is personal.

Sounds as though you're as confused as the op. The northern end of Kata Beach is the same as the middle and has fishing boats along it. The southern end is where the beach opens out, has no road behind it, and has hotels fronting onto it.

Go on tripadvisor.com forum too for more info

Tripadvisor is a bit of a user-generated, MFA site. Better off looking at Wikitravel's Kata page for solid info. :)

Sounds as though you're as confused as the op. The northern end of Kata Beach is the same as the middle and has fishing boats along it. The southern end is where the beach opens out, has no road behind it, and has hotels fronting onto it.

Wait, someone does not agree with you so he must be confused? Sorry, I have been working in Kata for 7 years now, and know it reasonably well. I simply don't agree that the Southern end is the nicest part of the beach.

Be wary of the tuk tuk's there...total rip off if you are in Patong and trying to get back to your hotel....I usually rent a car or scooter to avoid this, even though driving "over" the hill can be dangerous late at night

Wait, someone does not agree with you so he must be confused? Sorry, I have been working in Kata for 7 years now, and know it reasonably well. I simply don't agree that the Southern end is the nicest part of the beach.

Well done, although I personally prefered Kata Noi when I lived there. Okay, put it this way, from a touristic point of view, which is where the op is probably coming from, the southern end of Kata has the nicest, most appealing stretch of sand. :)

Well done, although I personally prefered Kata Noi when I lived there. Okay, put it this way, from a touristic point of view, which is where the op is probably coming from, the southern end of Kata has the nicest, most appealing stretch of sand. :)

Again, you don't get what I'm saying.

In your opinion the southern end of Kata has the nicest, most appealing stretch of sand from a touristic point of view. And I don't agree with that. I find it very strange that you again give your personal opinion as a fact.

But we are getting a bit off topic here.