Can A Thai Get 30 Baht Co-Pay For Dental Work ?

SunSeek01

Hi All - I have a question about the Thai 30 baht Co-Pay for Thai people. I have a friend who says she needs 3 root canals and some other work. I have checked the forums here for Dentists and that helped alot. The one she goes to, she says they want 20,000 baht for it.

My question is, should this Thai Girl be able to get Dental work with the 30 baht Co-Pay program? I have searched alot for it and can find nothing (probably because I cannot read Thai). Thanks - Sunseek01

Yes she can, but she must go to her local hospital where she is registered. My wife did it last week, don't expect anything but the basic work though.sad.gif

Quite correct. Both my wife and daughter got their dental work done through the local hospital. As for the standard, it would depend on the dentist involved. I myself have had work done at the local hospital, was excellent and incredibly cheap to what one would have to pay overseas.

Yes she can, but she must go to her local hospital where she is registered. My wife did it last week, don't expect anything but the basic work though.sad.gif

Quite correct. Both my wife and daughter got their dental work done through the local hospital. As for the standard, it would depend on the dentist involved. I myself have had work done at the local hospital, was excellent and incredibly cheap to what one would have to pay overseas.

I think you get what you pay for. There is the 30 Baht plan for medical at local hospitals for Thai's if registered with that government hospital. I'm not sure about root canals. But extractions, probably no problem. She can go check and wait in a long line, depending where you live. My Thai dentist has all new equipment, new office and a new crown was 10,000 Baht. A good cleaning 500 to 700 Baht. But she's the one with the Thai ID card, so she needs to go and register and see what services are available at her local government hospital, not a private hospital or dental clinic, they require real insurance or cash.

As has been said many times on the forum, the 30 baht co-payment was discontinued two or three years ago, so that the scheme is now usually known as the UC (universal coverage) scheme or universal healthcare scheme. Coverage does include basic dental care, but the previous poster is right to say that this may not include more complex treatments. Overall though, the UC scheme treats a wide range of medical conditions and provides many high-cost procedures (contrary to what some posters here will tell you).

http://www.nhso.go.th/eng/index_main.jsp#

See also the story near the bottom of the page about the Bangkok Hospital Group to get an idea of how even private hospitals may join the scheme. Unfortunately TV is not accepting the correct URLs for the individual page links, and seems to be disabling some hyperlinks on the NHSO website - so you may need to retype the URL yourself.

Don't forget that many Thai people in formal employment will be covered by a second public scheme - the social security scheme - which gives more generous coverage in some areas (don't know about dentistry). This scheme usually allows the member to select a private hospital from the options available if desired.

P.S. on the website select 'NHSO information' from the menu on the left and then select 'Benefits package'.

Edited by citizen33

20kbht is a lot of money for 3 root canals.

I am just having one done at the white person price of 5000bht

My uncle (Thai) had one done recently for 1500bht

Make sure it is not a different sort of extraction this girl is after!

(a cash extraction from your wallet)

Edited by sarahsbloke

As has been said many times on the forum, the 30 baht co-payment was discontinued two or three years ago, so that the scheme is now usually known as the UC (universal coverage) scheme or universal healthcare scheme. Coverage does include basic dental care, but the previous poster is right to say that this may not include more complex treatments. Overall though, the UC scheme treats a wide range of medical conditions and provides many high-cost procedures (contrary to what some posters here will tell you).

http://www.nhso.go.t...index_main.jsp#

See also the story near the bottom of the page about the Bangkok Hospital Group to get an idea of how even private hospitals may join the scheme. Unfortunately TV is not accepting the correct URLs for the individual page links, and seems to be disabling some hyperlinks on the NHSO website - so you may need to retype the URL yourself.

Don't forget that many Thai people in formal employment will be covered by a second public scheme - the social security scheme - which gives more generous coverage in some areas (don't know about dentistry). This scheme usually allows the member to select a private hospital from the options available if desired.

P.S. on the website select 'NHSO information' from the menu on the left and then select 'Benefits package'.

Great info, Citizen33...I've been looking for something on the 30 Bath Prg that provides info in English....but with all my Googling I kept coming up dry. Below is a cut and paste from the web site above regarding dental benefits.

<LI>Dental services: extraction, filling, scaling, plastic-based denture, milk-tooth nerve-cavity treatment, and placement of artificial palate in children with harelip and cleft palate.