Hull Consulate. O-Type Visa, New Regulations?

Hello,

Some months ago I wrote to the consulate in Hull, UK with a question regarding 1-year "O" -type visa. They have answered, that I can state "visiting friends" without any evidence provided.

Couple of days ago I have looked at their web-site (http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com) and found out they have renewed all documents this months and now it seems they have new regulations. Now you HAVE TO provide a letter from a friend living in Thailand.

Is it true or is it me just a paranoid? Did any of you applied and got O-type visa recently (since this month, June 2010)? Any luck?

Regards

P.S. I wrote another email with same question to the consulate. Waiting for the feedback.

I find the following paragraph on this document very interesting:

Some course organisers offer the opportunity of employment on completion of their course. Such organisations

may advise applicants to apply for a Non-Immigrant Category “B” Visa. However, a “B” visa can only be issued

if the course organiser issues a letter requesting a Category “B” visa. The advantage of this type of visa is that

it will allow the applicant to take up the employment offered immediately they have completed the course

without having to wait for their Work Permit to be issued. With a Category “O” visa it is not permitted to work

until the Work Permit has been issued.

Is this a relaxation on Work Permit rules? Seems completely new to me that you can start working with a B Visa without having completed the WP process?

Sunny

Yes I applied for a 1 Year O Visa on Tuesday to Hull (and I am in Weymouth) and took advise that all you need is to download the forms and give a name and address of who you are staying with (as in friend) and send it off with passport, I also sent 2 photos, couldn't see that written down, but did it anyway, that cost £100 for visa and £6 for mail return by registered post. Just this minute got the passport back today Thursday with the visa stamp valid til 9th Jun 2011, (and one photo returned) Superb service.

Leaving for BBK on the 1st July for my very first visit..............and can't wait!! Paul

Edited by photosonmytravels

Yes I applied for a 1 Year O Visa on Tuesday to Hull (and I am in Weymouth) and took advise that all you need is to download the forms and give a name and address of who you are staying with (as in friend) and send it off with passport, I also sent 2 photos, couldn't see that written down, but did it anyway, that cost £100 for visa and £6 for mail return by registered post. Just this minute got the passport back today Thursday with the visa stamp valid til 9th Jun 2011, (and one photo returned) Superb service.

Leaving for BBK on the 1st July for my very first visit..............and can't wait!! Paul

Get your ass down to Pattaya mate,much better,nicer people,less humid,good expat scene,loads of beaches to go to,easy to drive around,more cost effective,most things walking distance,ohh did i mention much nicer people lol.Glad to show you the best places and the best people

Anyone knows if it still works to send the passport/application from another EU country? It work just fine last year. I had to pay £10 for postal, anyone know how it is know? I'll sent two e-mail to the consulate but no answer.

Cheers for the offer, heading for Hua Hin, but as I said in PM will be going to have a look at everywhere, so keep the beer cold.blink.gif

Anyone knows if it still works to send the passport/application from another EU country? It work just fine last year. I had to pay £10 for postal, anyone know how it is know? I'll sent two e-mail to the consulate but no answer.

very interested in this so I up the question

• 1 month later...

Anyone knows if it still works to send the passport/application from another EU country

Hi,

It still works B)

I am from France and just get last week a Non-Imm O visa "for visiting friend" from Hull.

I send my passport + docs as registered letter a Wednesday and received them the next Wednesday.

Price is now 112 £ (was 110 £ 15 months ago) for visa + postage for any Europe country (except UK).

You have to fill a new doc with the address of your friend. I put the name of a French friend retired in Thailand: no problem.

Hull said by email "The sponsor in Thailand does not have to be a Thai national" :)

See http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/downloads-and-visas.aspx , "Ab" and "Ad" packs.

Thanks to Hull consulate :jap:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone knows if it still works to send the passport/application from another EU country

Hi,

It still works B)

I am from France and just get last week a Non-Imm O visa "for visiting friend" from Hull.

I send my passport + docs as registered letter a Wednesday and received them the next Wednesday.

Price is now 112 £ (was 110 £ 15 months ago) for visa + postage for any Europe country (except UK).

You have to fill a new doc with the address of your friend. I put the name of a French friend retired in Thailand: no problem.

Hull said by email "The sponsor in Thailand does not have to be a Thai national" :)

See http://www.thaiconsu...-and-visas.aspx , "Ab" and "Ad" packs.

Thanks to Hull consulate :jap:

Great news for me! :)

Did you get a Multi-Entry or a Single Entry? Does that make any difference?

I am an Italian national and would like to get a Non-0 Multiple-Entry.

Edited by SinghaJoe

To photosonmytravels, it says on the appliation form - Affix a reent photo here (so yep, you needed to send a photo).

I just filled my new one in (Wife took it back to UK with her, she will send it in and DHL it back to me here in CM). Confused me a bit as the 'visiting family/friend' letter was mentioned against non-imm 'o', as was other bits for other 'o' sub classes, but nothing about children/spouse on the added pack (ad) - but tells you to look at the pack for required documents and proof. So, I took 'family' to include spouse and kids (though it used to mean extended family or parents) and filled out the letter. I also included copies of English and Thai birth certs, wedding cert copy, id card copy and the other forms. I put perminant address as my CM address, but address to return it to as my wife's UK address. It didn't say anywhere perminant address had to be in the UK, because I don't have one there any more.

Edited by wolf5370

112 £ would be rather expensive for a Single Entry... ;)

Of course I got a Multiple one, and the big difference is that :

- the Single give you max 1 stay of 90 days

- the Multiple allow you to stay up to 15 months with a visa-run every 3 months.

112 £ would be rather expensive for a Single Entry... ;)

Of course I got a Multiple one, and the big difference is that :

- the Single give you max 1 stay of 90 days

- the Multiple allow you to stay up to 15 months with a visa-run every 3 months.

Thank you very much for your feedback, this is very helpful for me :jap:

...I just filled my new one in (Wife took it back to UK with her, she will send it in and DHL it back to me here in CM)...

Do I understand this correctly? With you staying behind in Chiang Mai, Thailand, your wife brought your passport to the UK, sent it off to a Thai consulate for a visa, and with this visa mailed it back to you in Chiang Mai?

I have seen posts by some members who did the same, made a border run, and found their visas declared invalid upon their return to Thailand because the visa was issued on a date when the passport, ie the entry and exit stamps, clearly showed that the passport holder was in Thailand. Whether your visa will suffer the same fate depends on how attentive the immigration officer will be. Good luck!

--

Maestro

...I just filled my new one in (Wife took it back to UK with her, she will send it in and DHL it back to me here in CM)...

Do I understand this correctly? With you staying behind in Chiang Mai, Thailand, your wife brought your passport to the UK, sent it off to a Thai consulate for a visa, and with this visa mailed it back to you in Chiang Mai?

I have seen posts by some members who did the same, made a border run, and found their visas declared invalid upon their return to Thailand because the visa was issued on a date when the passport, ie the entry and exit stamps, clearly showed that the passport holder was in Thailand. Whether your visa will suffer the same fate depends on how attentive the immigration officer will be. Good luck!

--

Maestro

Yes. Could well be a problem as your passport will not be stamped out and back into Thailand.

Got a quick question about this if I may. If someone doesn't have a fixed address in Europe, would the Thai consulate in Hull mail the passport back addressed to a friend and his address?

Yes. Member report a few months back that Hull consulate will mail back to anywhere within Europe, but applicant has to pay additional postage charges if outside UK.

does the person you are visiting have to be Thai ? also I am visiting a falang but staying at a hotel, what do you put on the form ?, yes I understand to put their address provided you can put a falang address but does this not indicate you are actually staying there ?

Member report a few months back that Hull consulate will mail back to anywhere within Europe,

but applicant has to pay additional postage charges if outside UK.

I indicated price on the previous page : 112 £ for a Multi : 100 £ + 12 £ postage

does the person you are visiting have to be Thai ?

I gave the answer on the previous page : "The sponsor in Thailand does not have to be a Thai national"

Thanks to read the full discussion before posting such a question :whistling:

See :rolleyes: