Your England Starting Xi

2long

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats exactly my choice too although i'm not sure about Lennon. You need a very long neck to catch one of his crosses at the moment.

I think Capello though will pick James in goal, Carragher with Terry and a different option upfront..

At the start of the tournament i felt he was our best. Now i'm starting to look at his selections/substitutions as our greatest liability.

Edited by carmine

Agreed, but maybe give Milner a run out on the right as he can hold the ball up and pass it a bit better then Lennon.

Strange no one wishes to give Defoe a run out at least we'd have to play the ball on the ground if he were on the pitch instead of hoofing it upto the bigman, he's a far better player then Crouch or Heskey could ever be, and for a time when Owen (similar player to Defoe) was still good, he and Rooney were fantastic together.

Agreed, but maybe give Milner a run out on the right as he can hold the ball up and pass it a bit better then Lennon.

Strange no one wishes to give Defoe a run out at least we'd have to play the ball on the ground if he were on the pitch instead of hoofing it upto the bigman, he's a far better player then Crouch or Heskey could ever be, and for a time when Owen (similar player to Defoe) was still good, he and Rooney were fantastic together.

The thinking may well be to bring on Defoe and Lennon second half. To my mind that would work better.

The thinking may well be to bring on Defoe and Lennon second half. To my mind that would work better.

Thinking more about it, its Algeria <deleted> they were beaten by a nation of 2 million id stick Milner and Defoe in if for no other reason we may pass the ball about a little more and not rely on players running like headless chickens on the wing and a bigman who can do nothing more then occasionally trap a long ball and hold it up for a 30 yard shot from Lampard. This way Rooney can come deeper and get more involved as he does at ManUre.

Beckenbaur is on the mark with what he said about England of late ... there is too much kick and rush football and not much else.

PS id be good to have A Johnson there.

Edited by hansum

It's not easy to pick, considering the poor squad that we have. To be honest, no decent reliable keeper, dodgy centre backs, a right back who can't defend, nothing on the left, two central midfielders who continue to under perform, and only one decent striker.

With that in mind, I'd have to go with

GK J. Hart - no need to explain that one, look at the other two jokers.

RB G. Johnson - should have taken Neville though.

CB J. Terry - best of what we have in that position.

CB L. King - although he is about as reliable as British made car in the 70's

LB A. Cole - obvious choice, but he may be ruled out with injury as well.

LM J.Cole - no one else really

CM - M. Carrick - sick of the piss poor performances from Lampard, didn't even realise he was playing until the second half when he skied one over the crossbar, so Carrick get's a chance.

CM - G. Barry

RM - S. Gerrard - played well for first 20 minutes of the USA game, and then went missing like Chavy does when he's in town. :)

CF - W. Rooney - the only true world class player in the team at the moment

CF - J. Defoe - more pace, and can score goals. Isn't that what forwards are meant to do?

And please, please no Carragher he is well past his sell by date, although may do a good job at carrying water bottles.

ABC: Anyone but Carragher.

Agreed. :)

Toad have you been under a stool lately? King is out for 3 weeks mate.

Ahah, yeah well the internet is bloody dodgy up here in Kan - anyhow in that case Dawson in for King.

ABC: Anyone but Carragher.

Agreed. :)

Toad have you been under a stool lately? King is out for 3 weeks mate.

Ahah, yeah well the internet is bloody dodgy up here in Kan - anyhow in that case Dawson in for King.

ok, I will fill you in on today's news. Drogba cleared to play tonight with a cast. Hope PEPE wears a helmet

ok, I will fill you in on today's news. Drogba cleared to play tonight with a cast. Hope PEPE wears a helmet

Cheers Jimmy, I am sure that Pepe can look after himself though.

This line up sounds the most logical to play atm. 4-2-3-1. I'd play these players in my starting line up.

23. Hart - Simply he is England's best GK

2. Johnson - He might not be the best but he gets the job done.

3. A Cole - Dont need explanation

6. Terry - He is our best CB

5. Dawson - The most in-form of all CB

14. Barry - We need a DM to release Lampard & Gerrard

8. Lampard - He will play better with Barry covering for him

7. Lennon - He is England's best right winger with his speed. He will get better as the tournament progresses.

11. J Cole - We all know know what he brings and best player to play on the left

4 . Gerrard - Captain needs to play behind Rooney as he does for Liverpool to unlock defences.

10. Rooney - Rooney told A. Shearer after the US game that he prefers playing upfront on this own. He is our only World Class striker.

On paper, it is our best starting XI. We might not have the best and most talented squad at the WC but they all are capable of doing decent jobs. If these starting XI cannot win us games then nothing will.

SUBS I would bring on,

17. SWP- Replacement for Lennon when he gets tired. Do we have other options?

18. Carragher (Johnson) - When we are winning and need to defend.

11. Carrick (Lampard/Gerrard)- simply to rest either one or to defend a lead playing alongside Barry.

19. Defoe - I am sure he can score better than Heskey

9. Crouch - England's plan B

16. Milner - Do not rate him at all even on his debut. Might need to come just to give J Cole a breather.

15. Upson - To cover one of the CBs

England do not need to use

21. Heskey - Not sure how to utilise him really as he cannot score goals even though he played well on saturday.

20. King - Injury proned; reports says that if England reaches the Q-F, he might have a chance to play. Doubt though

13. Warnock - A Cole can play all game unless suspended or injured.

12. Green - hmmm rolleyes.gif

1. James - Back up

Hopefully we can win the World cup......biggrin.gif

Hart, A Cole, Terry, Dawson, Johnson, Lampard, Gerrard, J Cole, Lennon, Rooney, Defoe

Should be ideal game for Hart and Dawson to get into the World Cup, hopefully not to busy, also great game for Defoe and think with Gerrard behind Rooney should go well.

Milner and Crouch to come on once game won to really put the seal on an easy victory

HART

CARRAGHER TERRY DAWSON A.COLE

JOHNSON BARRY J.COLE

LAMPARD

GERRARD

ROONEY

OK won't happen !

BUT

Jo Hart shows the arrogance of youth and no calamaties on his CV

Solid defense witn Dawson adding a bit of much needed pace

Johnson is an excellent attacking player,better at crossing than Lennon,can help "old" Jamie C

The whole team would be more skilfull and better suited to Fabio's passing game rather than the "hoof" and hope approach..

Something a little different.................

I hear the Algerians are fired up for this one.....probably looking to play similarly to the North Koreans. How will England combat this defensive style of play?

If you can't get fired up for a world cup game you probably should'nt be playing football at all.

Question is, are they any good?

I hear the Algerians are fired up for this one.....probably looking to play similarly to the North Koreans. How will England combat this defensive style of play?

If you can't get fired up for a world cup game you probably should'nt be playing football at all.

they can be alright. they're pretty tidy in midfield, can keep possession and ziani is a decent player. not much goal threat to them though so the game should mostly be about england breaking them down.

they can be alright. they're pretty tidy in midfield, can keep possession and ziani is a decent player. not much goal threat to them though so the game should mostly be about england breaking them down.

They're not a bad side no real goalscoring threat but hard to break down. If England allow them too much possession their belief will rise and anything could happen....

England should win this one but those suggesting an easy victory are well wide of the mark. :)

They're not a bad side no real goalscoring threat but hard to break down. If England allow them too much possession their belief will rise and anything could happen....

England should win this one but those suggesting an easy victory are well wide of the mark. :)

they are well wide of the mark yes, and for a number of reasons. this world cup is shaping up to do england no favours at all. the pace of matches is slow, perhaps mainly due to the appalling jabulani ball. teams are having to really concentrate on passing to keep possession, never england's strongest suit anyway. long shots are not happening thanks to the ball(oon) flying away whenever its hit, so this doesn't help lampard and gerrard. running with the ball seems to be a problem since it bobbles so much, so that doesn't help someone like lennon (or heskey's first touch).

i can see england labouring against algeria then changing it at half-time, bringing crouch on and starting to just lump it up to him and heskey, see what falls.

Edited by StevieH

That sounds exactly like Sheffield Uniteds game plan through last season Stevie.

Henderson was the target......all very poor really and got nothing but boo's.

Hoofball.

I hope Defoe comes on and Carragher don't.

Hart in goal, Lobert Gleen on the bench.

HART

CARRAGHER TERRY DAWSON A.COLE

JOHNSON BARRY J.COLE

LAMPARD

GERRARD

ROONEY

OK won't happen !

BUT

Jo Hart shows the arrogance of youth and no calamaties on his CV

Solid defense witn Dawson adding a bit of much needed pace

Johnson is an excellent attacking player,better at crossing than Lennon,can help "old" Jamie C

The whole team would be more skilfull and better suited to Fabio's passing game rather than the "hoof" and hope approach..

Something a little different.................

So you think Glen Johnson should play in midfield at the expense of Wright philips or Lennon?

And have Carragher :D at full back! You are right it aint never going to happen.And on the basis of that change the whole team will be more skillful :)

At least Gareth Barry is going to play..... :D He is such an important player for us now! simply because we have nobody else :)

Keano! Keano!...... :D

Cut me some slack, it's early, but please explain that one Smokie

At least Gareth Barry is going to play..... :D He is such an important player for us now! simply because we have nobody else :)

Keano! Keano!...... :D

Cut me some slack, it's early, but please explain that one Smokie

Been on the Wacky Backy:o .

Ps when is someone going to sort out these emotions, spoiling my repartee completely.

Edited by alfieconn