Thai Honesty

Ulysses G.

Yesterday, I got a medicinal massage from a real master who only charges 150 baht an hour. He is an older man and works for someone else, so I know he does not make much money.

He just called me to ask if I had lost some money yesterday as he found some on the floor and is trying to contact all his customers to give it back to the owner. I know that there are plenty of dishonest people in Thailand and the world, but who would expect poor people to be this honest? I have had things like this happen to me in Thailand more times than I can count, which is why I object when some members claim that most Thais are cheaters and thieves.

Have other posters had any uplifting experiences like this that they would like to share? 

• Like 1

Last year I changed some US$ at the SCB ex-change booth at the air port, I did not count the money before I handed it over.

The teller counted the money and then handed me the amount in Baht, I signed the form and put the money in my pocket and walked away.

15 minutes later I was at the Thai Airways desk buying a ticket and the guy from SCB came to me and said he had made a mistake with the money I exchanged, he told me he had miss counted my dollars and he owed me 60 US$, he went away and came back 5 minutes later with the money and a form for me sign.

FD

got a motorbike taxi which is normally only 20 baht, but handed him a 50 baht note and as the light was dim he mistook it for a 20 and drove off. i wasn't that bothered so went round the corner to the laundry shop to pick up my washing. when i came back the motorbike guy was waiting there on the off-chance i returned as he had realised he had got it wrong.

also, woman from local restaurant saw i had dropped my keycard and chased me all the way to my apartment to give it back.

yes there are a lot of scammers but also a lot of 'salt of the earth' types here too.

^Similar thing at King Power Duty Free in departures.

Cashier had given me the wrong change and was running around the airport trying to find me, he was breathless when he caught up.

I would probably start to run if one of the employees of King Power would try to catch me. You never know if they will accuse you of stealing. :ph34r:

I remember picking up my Laundry, driving back home (20 min) and then I did miss my wallet. Not much money ( maybe 1500) in it, but all my Bank Cards, so not very happy. Remembered that I payd for the Laundry so I went back and there it was. The Girl did smile and did hand me over the wallet. I opend it and her smile went away telling me no no, I dont take money. I had to tell her that I opend up my wallet to give her a Tip. Sure she did earn it. :jap:

I was in a very touristy resort (chaweng on Samui I think) the first time I visited Thailand. Walking down the road, homeless looking guy runs up to me and starts waving something at me and talking in Thai, I say "no thanks" and carry on walking. He chases me and does it again, then again. The third time I start to get annoyed and stop to tell him to bugger off. I look down and see a massive wad of money in his hand. Whoops. Check my pockets and it is mine. About 5000 baht I think. Felt like a jerk. Offered him a reward, several times. He refused.

My phone came out of pocket in a taxi on the way to Mayamar Embassy while standing in line driver came back and caught the attention of other people around me and they motioned for me to look at taxi, went over and he had my phone. He would not take reward.

Arrived at the old airport from Laos with girlfriend we caught a taxi to hotel. After taxi left girlfriend realized she had left purse in Taxi contained passport and Id card. I stayed at hotel and she goes off to police station to make report. About a hour passes and the taxi arrives with purse different driver, the driver who had delivered us went off duty and he asked his relief to deliver purse. I had to force some money on to the driver he just didn't want it. Every thing in purse including a few hundred baht.

Edited by moe666

left my school bag with computer in the back of a taxi while drunk.

Taxi driver called number on business card from inside bag, met up with 'after-hours' telephone receptionist to hand over the bag.

SC

left my school bag with computer in the back of a taxi while drunk.

Taxi driver called number on business card from inside bag, met up with 'after-hours' telephone receptionist to hand over the bag.

SC

You know you shouldn't drink at school mate.  :unsure:

I left my wallet with about 20k bht in it on the counter in a 7-11 a while ago.

Out in the carpark I heard a tapping on my car window and the cashier had come out to hand it back.

She refused my offer of a reward for her honesty.

Stupidly left over 23,000 baht on the hotel bed and went out for the day. Came back to find the room clean and every single baht under a folded towel on the bed.

Nice tip for them when I left.

I routinely pass the same ‘group’ or ‘team’ of street beggars every day on my sojourns in and out of my small soi. I ALWAYS acknowledge them and say hello but never give them money. To a person they all seem okay with this, often times saying hello to me before I’ve even noticed them sitting on the sidewalk.

One nite I was walking home, (more than a little drunk :blink: ). As I passed one of the beggars I’d seen every day for 4+ years, he called me over. Being under the influence and not understanding exactly, I was hesitant to stop, until he motioned me back. However, upon returning to where he was sitting he only pointed to my pocket where the 15K baht I’d just taken out of the ATM was about to fall out. He said in thai, “I’m just looking out for you.”

I was so taken aback, that I tipped him 500 baht for him noticing I was gonna drop my money. To his great credit, he took 4 of the 100 baht notes and stuck them back in my pocket, saying, “100 was more than enough”. That I would receive this type of behavior from a guy missing a leg along with half his arm, who sits begging on the street every frickin’ day for as long as I’d been here just blew me away.

Sadly, he was hit by a taxi and killed just a few weeks later, but it’s something I’ll never ever forget. :)

Note to the poster known as 'bkkjames'. .. I did my best to keep this succinct and to the point. . :D

I routinely pass the same 'group' or 'team' of street beggars every day on my sojourns in and out of my small soi.  I ALWAYS acknowledge them and say hello but never give them money.  To a person they all seem okay with this, often times saying hello to me before I've even noticed them sitting on the sidewalk.

One nite I was walking home, (more than a little drunk  :blink: ). As I passed one of the beggars I'd seen every day for 4+ years, he called me over.  Being under the influence and not understanding exactly, I was hesitant to stop, until he motioned me back. However, upon returning to where he was sitting he only pointed to my pocket where the 15K baht I'd just taken out of the ATM was about to fall out. He said in thai, "I'm just looking out for you."

I was so taken aback, that I tipped him 500 baht for him noticing I was gonna drop my money.  To his great credit, he took 4 of the 100 baht notes and stuck them back in my pocket, saying, "100 was more than enough".  That I would receive this type of behavior from a guy missing a leg along with half his arm, who sits begging on the street every frickin' day for as long as I'd been here just blew me away.

Sadly, he was hit by a taxi and killed just a few weeks later, but it's something I'll never ever forget.  :)

Note to the poster known as 'bkkjames'. .. I did my best to keep this succinct and to the point. . :D

Touching story Tod. Had me sitting on the edge of my office chair right up to the last sentence  - then you lost me mate. :D

Over the years I' ve been here I witnessed mostly honesty from Thai people.

They give back your lost items, will help you without asking for something in return.

You will be many times invited to join in for whatever.

I also had some misfortunes, but isn't that so in every country.

Taxi driver returned my Blackberry - although he didn't ask for it I gave him 1k and the mrs gave him a bunch of baby products for kid.

That is what i would have done. Reward good deeds and its a lot less then a new Blackberry.

Taxi driver returned my Blackberry - although he didn't ask for it I gave him 1k and the mrs gave him a bunch of baby products for kid.

That is what i would have done. Reward good deeds and its a lot less then a new Blackberry.

I offered the guy my fake Omega3 watch instead of the 1k, but he said the deal sounded fishy. 

I said, "Hey, don't worry about the time mate, you can look just like James Bond."

He said, "Thanks but I have more women than you  -- you look like you need it more than me."

My friend’s wife is Thai and I count her as one of the most honest and trustworthy people I have ever meet in my life. There has been times in our relationship, (purely plutonic) where she has been holding considerable amounts of my money, and could have quite literally kept it with no real legal redress.

With all the scams and cons going on here it’s very easy to think all Thai are thieving Gits! I am a little ashamed that I tend to think the worse of Thai’s when dealing with money or property, I’m always thinking “what’s there angle?” But it does help knowing just one very honest Thai person, for me, maintains some faith in Thailand and hope for the good people of Thailand.

OP, no mention of the honesty of Farang’s, and there cons and scams in Thailand……….Maybe another topic here? No names, no pack drill.

I offered the guy my fake Omega3 watch instead of the 1k, but he said the deal sounded fishy. 

I said, "Hey, don't worry about the time mate, you can look just like James Bond."

He said, "Thanks but I have more women than you  -- you look like you need it more than me."

And we already concluded the guy was honest. So either he was good looking or you are :D

The lady i am living with is writing the most honest CV resume ever, i am telling her everyone lies/exaggerates on their CV but she insists on doing it her way to my annoyance.

My CV is truly a great work of fiction.

Here's the flip side of this wonderful album of top ten hits on Honesty in the LOS.

Today in the office, one of the staff is not in. Boss asks where she is. Gets the reply, she is in ICU, had a car accident on the way back from Pats.

Naturally he asks follow up questions, like is she ok, what hospital etc? He gets the typical vague answers. The giveaway is that none of co-workers are the least bit concerned about her.

Really, could have just rolled out the usually "upset stomach, take the dog to the vet, business leave, university visit again for something mythical" instead of ICU.

Edited by bkkjames

Here's the flip side of this wonderful album of top ten hits on Honesty in the LOS.

Today in the office, one of the staff is not in. Boss asks where she is. Gets the reply, she is in ICU, had a car accident on the way back from Pats. 

Naturally he asks follow up questions, like is she ok, what hospital etc? He gets the typical vague answers. The giveaway is that none of co-workers are the least bit concerned about her.

Really, could have just rolled out the usually  "upset stomach, take the dog to the vet, business leave, university visit again for something mythical" instead of ICU. 

Yea if you have to lie lie believeable :P blend it with truth. Come one in ICU where are the brains.

It is the odd post like this that sometimes restores my faith in humanity, good to hear something positive, especially when economics are all stacked against honesty at the moment.

What has economics to do be honesty ?

OK Here’s twice it’s happened to me- the last time about 3 months ago, the first about 5 years ago. Both times a broken down car at the side of the road in a fairly desolate place- read dual carriageway with a 5 km hike to town. Both times I was helped by a good Samaritan who approached me and asked if I needed help. Both times the guy took me off on his bike to seek assistance. The first time (at night) the guy kept running off on his bike to get water for my bust radiator, while the mechanic he had fetched worked on the car. He must have made 8 or 9 trips. They worked on it for about an hour and a half. Neither the mechanic nor our saviour would accept a penny. Second time, the guy took me to town literally 2 minutes before an enormous storm- I saw him as he came back to check everything was good. You have never seen a wetter person. Meanwhile I rode in a car provided by the mechanic. I was able to press a couple of hundred on this guy, but I did have to press.

According to my Thai friends however, the mechanic in the second scenario really pulled my pants down over the towing fee. Sorry about that tiny negative note- Good ol’ Thailand I say.

Oh- and my good Thai friend who never ever lets me put my hand in my pocket, and looks after me like a brother. When I had to call him about the second occasion above, his response was "why the hel_l did you just go to the nearest garage you could could find? You should have called me"!

It is the odd post like this that sometimes restores my faith in humanity, good to hear something positive, especially when economics are all stacked against honesty at the moment.

What has economics to do be honesty ?

Unless you are living on another planet, the poor people around are hitting hard times, and some are turning to THEFT!

Previously "Honest" people are now stealing water pumps and the like, they are struggling, and economics have turned them to thieving - to survive!

Edited by BadBoyBubby