Getting Glue Of The Gas Tank

I knew the moment I asked them to put it on I shouldn't have.... :blink:

I got a Progrip tank guard from Kawasaki on my 650R. I don't think they even cleaned the tank with alcohol before applying it. It started peeling off and now has dropped off leaving a sticky mess on the tank.... :bah:

I tried cleaning the glue with ispropyl alcohol as it's quite mild, but wouldn't shift it. Any ideas what to use? I don't want to damage the paint work with anything to strong.

Any help appreciated!

Matt.

Try WD-40 just let it soak. Don't use anything stronger. If you don't have any and have to buy something there is cheap contact cleaner the one I have is "Perfects" in a brow/orange can. It has pictures of zippers, bicycles, grass clippers etc. Do NOT use contact cleaner / degreaser.

You are lucky the Isopropyl alcohol was probably blue at 70% strength. Had it been clear at 98% or more you would be asking about a respray! I have to buy a new windshield as my staff tried paint thinner to remove the residue from my old tax sticker mad.gif

Edited by VocalNeal

Thanks for the reply guys. I watered down the isopropyl a little... Good job I didn't use the bottle of 100% acetone I have here... :blink:

I'll get a can of the orange stuff and try that first. Is petrol really OK for paint work?

Thanks for the reply guys. I watered down the isopropyl a little... Good job I didn't use the bottle of 100% acetone I have here... :blink:

I'll get a can of the orange stuff and try that first. Is petrol really OK for paint work?

stickers and tank guard probably has petrol resistant glue since they are for the petrol tank.

Otherwise petrol works fine for cleaning paintwork. When done, paint needs waxing.

Of course. Lots of petrol spills on tanks. Like any other solvent etc. please try the "Orange" stuff on a less visible section of the tank first. Many sage adages. "Measure twice , cut once" etc.

Like i said my guys didn't do that and one day I'll get a new screen.