Register At Amphur Problem

urgent help on marry at the amphur , i went to my amphur today to get register marriage, i have all the paper work in hand.

1. i have affidavit from my embassy sign and confirm

2. got it translated to thai confirm

3. got it verified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at Chaeng Wattana confirm

i thought this was enough to register my marriage at the amphur, maybe my amphur is being an azz, they also require me to have the following

--in my affidavit from the embassy i did not put down how much i was making$ and what kind of job that i have, because i wasn't working, they told me that have to be verify, how am i suppose to verify thing that i don't work.

--next they said i need 2 people to verify our marriage, and that they themself or office working will not do it for me, <deleted>...are you kidding me.

--and they needed a translator, why on earth do i need a translator.

1. does anybody in recent day or week got marry in bangkok have to go through all this?

2. im planning to try another amphur which is farang friendly, does anybody know any that i can try, location of that amphur or a phone number for that Amphur that i can call and find out for myself.

3. you are out of luck and have do all these shlt over again.

All three are requirements.

The income/job is required as the document is designed to prove you are capable of supporting a wife. An entry might be accepted - a blank is unlikely to be. But you are not required to use any specific office so try another.

The two witness can be other customers/people visiting office or you can bring your own. Some offices may provide but it is not there job to do so.

Translator is required if you do not speak Thai so that you know what you are signing. Does not have to be an official translator but someone that can speak your language and understands Thai.

Ban Ruck near Patpong is the most used by both foreigners and Thai.

Please let us know how you make out, since I may be going to the Amphur in Korat in the next month to do the same as you. Although I did list an income on the Embassy form, I thought I better have in case later I may have had to use the amount for evidence of income on some other forms in the future, at least it is recorded there.

All three are requirements.

The income/job is required as the document is designed to prove you are capable of supporting a wife. An entry might be accepted - a blank is unlikely to be. But you are not required to use any specific office so try another.

The two witness can be other customers/people visiting office or you can bring your own. Some offices may provide but it is not there job to do so.

Translator is required if you do not speak Thai so that you know what you are signing. Does not have to be an official translator but someone that can speak your language and understands Thai.

Ban Ruck near Patpong is the most used by both foreigners and Thai.

"Bang Rak," to be specific: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bang_Rak_District

Mac

I got married 4 months ago (way up north in Chiang Mai), nobody in the office spoke English, office opened specially Valentines day Sunday.

1) I already declared an income, no proof required but I did fill in all blanks with something.

2) The office staff did all the witness stuff, I didn't ask, they just did it.

3) Nobody spoke English, my gf a few words, I speak some Thai and brought a dictionary, no translator.

When the gf left to do some last minute photocopying the office girls were chatting me up (in Thai), very cheeky at my wedding I thought.

As I had prerviously obtained an 'affirmation of freedom to marry' in Thai and English, I'm pretty sure nobody had any doubt about me knowing what I was signing.

They also gave us a nice wedding gift, needlepoint Thai framed wall hanging along with sweets and coffee while we did the deed.

Very good value for 40bht

Edited by sarahsbloke

They are simply being difficult and applying the letter of the law precisely.... Only alternative is to go to a different amphur and hope they are less obstructive. In Thailand when faced with anything new or different the usual first response is to try as hard as possible to do nothing so that no mistakes are made.

My wife and I legalized our marriage a few months ago and after a rather large wedding party a month earlier decided to do the simple thing and head down to the nearest and most convenient amphur office (With all necessary documentation, and forms completely filled out, including income). They made the process very difficult and were rather tricky, it soon became apparent that we had found ourselves in one of those situations where someone for what ever reasons doesn't like the look of you and will use everything in their power to make the process awkward.

In the end they just flatly refused to marry my wife and I. I took the name of the duty manager (or equivalent and left), but not before we had been left with a rather sour taste in our mouths after such negative treatment and being tarred by the same brush as a (sorry to say it) 'whoremongering sexpat and his latest sexploit'.

30 mins later we had driven Bang Rak Amphur office near Silom, 30 mins after that we were legally married and congratulated with a Wai from the officer who had been very helpful and polite throughout.

Two days later we received an apology phone call from the director (or whatever the 'boss guys' position is) at the Amphur office asking for forgiveness and what would we like to be done to have the situation remedied (we'd told my FIL about what had happened at dinner that night and straight away he was on his phone).

My response was that it was too late, the insults have been made, we are already married, so just hang or fire the silly cow who treated us like that...

Fortunately my wife had taken the phone call and suggested that he takes better care and educates his staff to less obstructive.

What I learned that day: When things look like they are not going to go our way, walk away and try somewhere else, although I now know of one more amphur office in Bangkok now who may be a lot more respectful of Thai/Western couples than they had once been.

Edited by richard_smith237

They are simply being difficult and applying the letter of the law precisely.... Only alternative is to go to a different amphur and hope they are less obstructive. In Thailand when faced with anything new or different the usual first response is to try as hard as possible to do nothing so that no mistakes are made.

My wife and I legalized our marriage a few months ago and after a rather large wedding party a month earlier decided to do the simple thing and head down to the nearest and most convenient amphur office (With all necessary documentation, and forms completely filled out, including income). They made the process very difficult and were rather tricky, it soon became apparent that we had found ourselves in one of those situations where someone for what ever reasons doesn't like the look of you and will use everything in their power to make the process awkward.

In the end they just flatly refused to marry my wife and I. I took the name of the duty manager (or equivalent and left), but not before we had been left with a rather sour taste in our mouths after such negative treatment and being tarred by the same brush as a (sorry to say it) 'whoremongering sexpat and his latest sexploit'.

30 mins later we had driven Bang Rak Amphur office near Silom, 30 mins after that we were legally married and congratulated with a Wai from the officer who had been very helpful and polite throughout.

Two days later we received an apology phone call from the director (or whatever the 'boss guys' position is) at the Amphur office asking for forgiveness and what would we like to be done to have the situation remedied (we'd told my FIL about what had happened at dinner that night and straight away he was on his phone).

My response was that it was too late, the insults have been made, we are already married, so just hang or fire the silly cow who treated us like that...

Fortunately my wife had taken the phone call and suggested that he takes better care and educates his staff to less obstructive.

What I learned that day: When things look like they are not going to go our way, walk away and try somewhere else, although I now know of one more amphur office in Bangkok now who may be a lot more respectful of Thai/Western couples than they had once been.

Thank you for your post and your insight as I expect to be going thru the same process soon.

You're welcome...

For whatever reasons, Bang Rak Amphur office appear to be far more familiar with handling mixed marriages than alternative Amphur offices in Bangkok. Either that or my wife and I simply went to the wrong place at the wrong time.

As such, I've always advised friends who are due to marry soon that even if it involves a little more travel, with the correct documentation the Amphur office at Bang Rak make it a simple process.

Edited by richard_smith237

Thank you for your post and your insight as I expect to be going thru the same process soon.

I should have asked you what office gave you the problems so I may avoid it or go to it knowing about the apology they gave you.

Being a polite Canadian I used to get out of the way of Thai people using cell phones and walking into me, or generally speaking giving them the right of way, like motorcycles on the sidewalks not paying attention to where they were going now I just stay the course and let them bump into me, it is their problem not mine. They cannot have it both ways. Can't wait to call the police the next time a motorcycle driver drives over my foot on the sidewalk, or demanding 500 bhat in lieu of calling the police.

Edited by Colabamumbai

i will try Bang Rak Amphur office on tues, i think i know where that office located, let see how it turn out, my paper work have a flaw that need to be fix, dumb of me not to fill in my income instead of leaving it blank, that need to be fix on monday.

and about the 2 witness that i needed, they just straight out refuse, once the boss speak no other worker are willing to be a witness, my wife willing to be a translator, they said no can do and that i need a different translator.

i will try Bang Rak Amphur office on tues, i think i know where that office located, let see how it turn out, my paper work have a flaw that need to be fix, dumb of me not to fill in my income instead of leaving it blank, that need to be fix on monday.

and about the 2 witness that i needed, they just straight out refuse, once the boss speak no other worker are willing to be a witness, my wife willing to be a translator, they said no can do and that i need a different translator.

Seems that (at least some) Thai people try for that extra bit of luck by registering at Bangrak, it is the duly-named province of love. And there's a constant stream of people coming in and out to register, so they've had probably slightly more than their share of foreigners come through.

When you have choice, don't hesitate 1 second to go somewhere else! And for sure, in Bangkok, Bangrak is famous for being farang friendly.

But believe me, to be the first farang (even foreigner) ever married in 1 district can be kinda fun too!!! And to avoid any trouble, my future (at that time) father in law just had to invite all local officers to the wedding where they did everything in front of everyone and the photographer, on a not working day :rolleyes:

They are always much nicer after lunch!

I of course, and them probably, will remember that for long!

Good luck chowder! Bang Rak did my first marriage rego way back in 2525. It was the one recommended by the 'agent' that did all the paperwork.

I recently got re-married at the Amphur in Banglamong (Pattaya). The wife and I just fronted up with requisite paperwork and the deed was done in about 45 minutes. We didn't bring witnesses or translators, just us two and the papers.... oh yes, and a pocket full of loose change for the ubiquitous Thai Government office photo copier lady!

If anyone wants a quick and easy Amphur marriage experience, I recommend Banglamong. You can also get some splendid low-season room rates for the honeymoon weekend too!

Yes Of course Pattaya---for any problem if you are looking for Farang friendly answer--from immigration to marriage, No interpreters needed--they just explained the whole thing in English, everything simple easy and quick.

Just been down there for a wedding of some friends who live in Udon Thani......

I just think they are so used to these situations---whether it includes complete Farang madness, or normal situations, they just handle it with the minimum of fuss.

I tried to exercise my right as a permanent resident to register my marriage without the silly affirmation of freedom to marry form but was rejected by Rajthevi and Samyan District Offices because they didn't know their own regulations. Finally we got the job done at the Sathorn District Office where the staff are very friendly and know the regulations backwards.

In the OP's case I would say that a declaration of income is required on the affirmation to marry form to prove that a foreigner is capable of supporting a Thai wife and this seems not unreasonable, even though it would be better if proof were required. Re language it is a legal requirement that a translator should be present if any of the parties getting married cannot speak and read Thai. This is because they need to be interviewed in Thai by the officials and sign forms in Thai. This is also a reasonable requirement as a foreigner could claim that he didn't understand what he was signing and the details of the interview and declaration in front of the officers is transcribed on the back of the marriage certificate for posterity. There is no reason why district offices should be expected to provide services in foreign languages for people who can't speak the official language and bear in mind that they charge a pittance for registering marriages. The Sathorn staff briefly tested my Thai comprehension and reading ability before aggreeing a translator was not needed. As far as witnesses are concerned, I believe the regulations state that the staff are indeed not permitted to be the witnesses but this seems flexible, depending on whether they like you or not. The staff witnessed for us as "a favour" to avoid sending us away empty handed, while warning that were not really supposed to do this.

As an aside, I took my wife in, we had the Embassy paperwork, we had our id/passports, we also had a heap of photos on A4 of before and during the wedding which was accepted. We took an actual invitation and the guests wedding book. We did not have any witnesses other than that apart form the bill from the hotel which showed paid!

I also went to the Amphur office in our district so not sure if you are aware you should register locally where you live. We did go back twice for whatever reason but I did not recall that being an issue. They were polite (Huay Kwang) and efficient. We got our two wedding cert's one for the wife and one for hubby and that was that. smile.gif

I actually registered the marriage the day before the wedding... :whistling:

It was at Bangrak, but we had an off-duty policeman running us around that day (doing all the paperwork) with enough English to be the translator and one of the witnesses (my father was the other witness).

(At least I assume he was treated as a translator as we definitely didn't get asked for one.)

Edited by bkk_mike

i went to Bang Rak Amphur office, have no problem at all, no need 2 witness, no need translator, 15-20minute walk in walk out .

but you do need a bunch of photo copy though, make sure you have 2 copy of everything including wifey document and 2 copy of your passport, at the end of the paper work, you still need to do another photo copy of the last paper work, but there are a copy place right next door.

thank you all for helping.

Edited by Maestro
Deleted comment of deleted post - Maestro

• 1 month later...

It was at Bangrak, but we had an off-duty policeman running us around that day (doing all the paperwork) with enough English to be the translator and one of the witnesses (my father was the other witness).

(At least I assume he was treated as a translator as we definitely didn't get asked for one.)

So it's possible to register before having the ceremony?

That would be very handy as I have to go to BKK for the Affirmation to be validated. We could then nip round to Bang Rak and do the necessary.

The Amphur near the wife's home might not be so well practiced in dealing with Foreigners.

On the lighter side, I went decades ago to Phra Khanong [& she is still my mia luang.]

At Amphur they ask my g/f what we want, she told him we want to get married.

Ok he said, my Passport & her ID please, and please sit down over there.

10 min later he called me up 7 said you are now married to that girl over there.

I said no no, not that one, the woman on right, [was an other farang/g/f, at the time], okay sit down again, another 10 min we was officially married. Can't recall, guess 20 baht. Simpler at those times.

FWIW; more thais than you can shake a proverbial stick at (as well as hordes of foreigners who marry thai nationals get married at; บางรัก (Bang-Rak). Especially as it has the thai word for 'love' (รัก) in it :P . It is trouble free to 'get hitched' there, as they deal with plenty of foreigners every day.

As an aside, the place in bangkok when thais want to go get divorced is; บางจาก (Bang-Jak), as it has the thai word for 'apart or depart from' (จาก) in its name. :D ..

And don’t confuse the ‘dog-n-pony show’ that is a traditional thai wedding with ANYTHING which is legally binding :( . You can register the marriage at ANY Amphur and BANG, you’re married. Conversely, you can have a thai traditional wedding, and you’re ahead nothing, except showing the village what a rich foreigner you are and giving ‘face’ to your soon to be extended thai family.. B)

So it's possible to register before having the ceremony?

That would be very handy as I have to go to BKK for the Affirmation to be validated. We could then nip round to Bang Rak and do the necessary.

The Amphur near the wife's home might not be so well practiced in dealing with Foreigners.

It's possible to register and not have the ceremony.

Saved a lot of money on that. ;)