Why The Disrespect Towards Other Peoples National Anthems

tigerfish

We north americans find it entirely amusing the animosity shared between various countries across Europe. We have absolutely no understanding of it and think you are all stark raving mad. I mean Americans and Canadians only have each other to make fun of and that gets boring fast.

Look south. I thought most of you septics looked down on the Mexicans.

Interesting how a topic complaining about Thai people not respecting other people's countries turned into a thread with people not respecting other people's countries.

to stay on topic i must admit that after a decade in the los i am a bit bored with the need to stand before every movie i attend. Of late i have been tempted to play unknowing tourist and simply stay seated but have yet to do it, having said that i have encouraged my children to be respectful of their thai national anthem and their American anthem; played before all sporting matches we have attended in the US..

Biggest problem we had tonight, in an English bar, was a sweaty sock with German flags painted on each cheek, singing the well known song throughout the match with a slight alteration. "You're going home, you're going home, you're going, England's going home", in a very loud jock accent.

After the 16th verse, and being asked and then told to shut up for his own good several times, eventually the bar manager had to step in to ask him to leave to avoid getting filled in.

<deleted>? I would support the sweaties against Germany any day of the week as part of the UK, this was just surreal to me.

I went to a pub in HK to watch the Scotland Germany game - European qualifier I think, for 2004, or maybe a friendly.

It was a disappointing turn-out I thought, the pub was nowhere near full, mostly Scots, one or two Germans and an English get chanting "if you hate the <deleted> Germans..." etc. I was almost moved to apologise to the Germans. I'm not sure that he knew who Germany were playing.

Maybe the reason so many of us say we hate the English is because they're just like our fellow countrymen, whom we feel we shouldn't criticise lest it reflect badly on ourselves.

SC

as an American, i only have these words going through my head which i originally heard from that hooligan documentary with all the English dudes singing "i'd rather be a Paki than a kraut". those guys must really be pissed off right now...

We used to sing "I'd rather wear a turban than a rose"

SC

i suspect you are looking for a reason to complain.

would you preferred a moment of silence?

i cant think of any sport recently when anyone has paid attention to national anthems, tonights f1 included.

i certainly didn't pay any attention to the television once the whistle blew. why would i? i was too busy enjoying a chuckle at rooney's abysmal performance. saviour indeed.

i would also like to point out that the disallowed goal made little difference in the end. 4-1, 4-2, who really cares?

So you know absolute nothing about football.Anybody knows even after only playing school boy football that at 2-2,the second half would have been totaly different as far as tactics go.Overall we got done by a faster,more skilful outfit who took advantage of our naive attacking to try to get back into the game.Are you realy that naive you havent seen that.

We north americans find it entirely amusing the animosity shared between various countries across Europe. We have absolutely no understanding of it and think you are all stark raving mad. I mean Americans and Canadians only have each other to make fun of and that gets boring fast.

for the record: animosity does exist, no doubt about that. but in my [not so] humble view it is limited to the bulk of uneducated low class people. ask any educated Brit or German and most of them will confirm my opinion.

:jap:

p.s. down with the perfide Albion! may the frog eaters suffocate and the black plague hit the countries south of the alps!

av-11672.gif

Are you American my friend,as you havent got a clue about the hooligan element within the football game.Many are bankers,laywers,sales managers.As for the american comments,so you havent seen all the fighting and anarchy going on in college football with major riots in the town,with full riot police trying to quell the violence.Make i ask what you think of this or am i dreaming this.Not even mentioned the continued punch ups with the ice hockey and the fans of basket ball teams

as an American, i only have these words going through my head which i originally heard from that hooligan documentary with all the English dudes singing "i'd rather be a Paki than a kraut". those guys must really be pissed off right now...

SC

Would that be a red or white rose,and glad it was USED TO SING,

i suspect you are looking for a reason to complain.

i cant think of any sport recently when anyone has paid attention to national anthems, tonights f1 included.

i certainly didn't pay any attention to the television once the whistle blew. why would i? i was too busy enjoying a chuckle at rooney's abysmal performance. saviour indeed.

i would also like to point out that the disallowed goal made little difference in the end. 4-1, 4-2, who really cares?

And pray tell how you managed to do that without looking at the television... :whistling:

and also the disallowed goal could have made a difference, when your 2-2 your not pushing like your 2-1 down. Even though i concede we were <deleted> :ermm:

agreed to above - yes you were sh?te,,, seriously though, I have been disappionted with the standard of most of the Euro Teams performances, never expected the Africans to go far, although Ghana are still there yet, and good luck to them,,, but for me the Argies have been head and shoulders above the rest,, to have disrespect for the national anthem of any team is distasteful

SC

Would that be a red or white rose,and glad it was USED TO SING,

As I've said elsewhere, sooner or later you realise that regardless of one's own fashion sense, and stereotypes you may have in your head, one dislikes people for being <deleted>, and the fact that they are English should be irrelevant - we should show sympathy for their embarassed compatriots, and not tar them with the same brush. Its probably just good-natured youthful exuberance in any case...

back on the topic of fashion, I think I actually wore a rose once - funnily enough, a floppy hat with a red rose bought in Old Trafford while watching the cricket. Being a Wire supporter by residence, if I were to wear a rose, it would be red, I suppose.

SC

That's why you waited so long to turn up in WW11 :lol:

I'm sure that when World War Eleven does begin, the Americans won't be late.....They'll probably start it:whistling:

Thats strictly an American thing, so I guess the americans get 2 nationalities to poke at. Canadians aren't so lucky. Mexcians are as mysterious and unknown as Thais are if you never leave Canada.

It never ceases to amaze me how much importance is placed on people kicking round a bag of wind, the way they go on about it in the papers in the Uk you would think its the end of the world. Get over it, I say.

Those footballers sure are good role models too!!

Thats strictly an American thing, so I guess the americans get 2 nationalities to poke at. Canadians aren't so lucky. Mexcians are as mysterious and unknown as Thais are if you never leave Canada.

We don't poke at Canucks. We hardly notice you.

Sadly, I guess it is true that there a lot of racist feelings towards Mexicans.

The funniest European thing to me is the way Dutch people react if they think you assumed they were Germans.

Edited by Jingthing

We don't poke at Canucks. We hardly notice you.

ROFL, another blatant jibe from the americans... I TOLD YOU! :lol:

It's just a silly game and it's just a silly song. It's up to you to attach as much blind nationalism to it as you like, but don't expect others to follow your 'rules of demeanor'. Most people could care less, and you shouldn't take it as any sort of affront towards you.

right and wonder if they sing, because they are on TV (television) now. Personally I would prefer a hard rock tune and people, instead touching the left breast, dancing the pogo while listening to that, if they want to.

It's just a silly game and it's just a silly song. It's up to you to attach as much blind nationalism to it as you like, but don't expect others to follow your 'rules of demeanor'. Most people could care less, and you shouldn't take it as any sort of affront towards you.

silly song maybe!

especially as it is all about the queen and nothing about the people of the nation. doesnt mean to say though that it is any less important to me when it represents my country as my national anthem. me i usually stay quiet, when its played. the same way i would if any other nations anthem was being played, no matter how much i may not like the country it represents.

my moan though, is that having lived in the thailand for quite a while and having to fall into line so to speak when such things are taken so seriously. why cant the thais that were in the pub at the time, show the same respect.

im sure that if it were a england v thailand match and someone started booing the thai national anthem, they would be kicked out the door, given a good kicking by the locals and the bib would appear within a minute with some kind of jumped up "les majeste" charge.

silly song maybe!

especially as it is all about the queen and nothing about the people of the nation. doesnt mean to say though that it is any less important to me when it represents my country as my national anthem. me i usually stay quiet, when its played. the same way i would if any other nations anthem was being played, no matter how much i may not like the country it represents.

my moan though, is that having lived in the thailand for quite a while and having to fall into line so to speak when such things are taken so seriously. why cant the thais that were in the pub at the time, show the same respect.

im sure that if it were a england v thailand match and someone started booing the thai national anthem, they would be kicked out the door, given a good kicking by the locals and the bib would appear within a minute with some kind of jumped up "les majeste" charge.

Ah, the 2006 Calcutta Cup! I was in Manila - it had been a bit of a tiring weekend, what with the attempted coup and all, though I had not been directly involved, but it had disrupted travel plans. Anyway, I got to the bar where I was to watch the game, stood for the anthems, and then somebody woke me up at half time and suggested I should go home... tremendous game, as well. Its great to be the better team on the park, but better still to win when you're not.

I suppose we are lucky in that we get two anthems, the English only one, and they have to share that with the rest of us. They're both dreadful dirges though - you can see what it did to your footballers this week...I reckon that Flower of Scotland does us no favours at all, except for at the Calcutta Cup, and I'd not change it for anything

SC

Biggest problem we had tonight, in an English bar, was a sweaty sock with German flags painted on each cheek, singing the well known song throughout the match with a slight alteration. "You're going home, you're going home, you're going, England's going home", in a very loud jock accent.

After the 16th verse, and being asked and then told to shut up for his own good several times, eventually the bar manager had to step in to ask him to leave to avoid getting filled in.

<deleted>? I would support the sweaties against Germany any day of the week as part of the UK, this was just surreal to me.

The last time I saw this phenomenon was when a Scottish guy started abusing an English guy who had just walked into a bar at about 3am one night in Bangkok. The English guy was having none of it and simply stood up and punched the abusive moron in the head a few times. That taught him. Of course he was too drunk to do anything about it.

Correct:

"I've come across several people like this, they are always either Scottish or Northern Irish.

And considering the UK pumps 1 Billion GBP into Scotland per annum whilst they have their own Country & Parliament and their money grabbing SNP MPs(13 at the last count) in our British Parliament,whilst we have none in their Parliament,I wonder they have the barefaced effrontery & gall.

Nice try, but the 1 billion is probably a drop in the ocean when you consider the amount of Oil Being PUMPED into the UK from predomenantly Scottish Waters pumped through mostly Scottish refineries, not forgetting the huge taxes the English oops sorry UK government are demanding from the North Sea Operators to top up their coffers ,,,, the Westminster big wigs were rather reluctant to let go of that,

I'm probably off topic as usual, but i find the German Anthem absolutely wonderful,the English one a little bit less.

May this be the reason for the 'disrespect' noticed by the OP ? Joking, but perhaps not.

People love music, you know. :)

Second in this 'Hit Parade' i think is the USA Anthem, you can understand why those folks do well in the sports (well, the real football for the USA is still a dream, but give them time and they will learn)

Disagree,

If it was level at half time England would have adopted different tactics in the second half and not shoving all there player up front thereby having a weak defence where the two other goals were scored on breakouts...it simply would have been a different game.

Thats my take on it anyway!

Admittedly I'd never have gone in with german flags on my cheek, and wouldn't have been singing, but I think you'll find a majority of Scots would have been quietly wanting Germany to win.

For you to not understand this, I'm going to guess you've never spent a lot of time in Scotland.

It's not the big things that annoy us about the English. It's the succession of little things.

Example:

On the weather map on the TV in the UK, they change the perspective so that Scotland appears smaller than it is, and the South of England appears larger.

I have no issue with the BBC showing cricket in England, but why do they show it in Scotland too. What makes the BBC think that's fair on their licence payers north of the border? We don't force YOU to watch shinty or the highland games.

Every single reference to Scotland by an Englishman complaining about their tax subsidising people north of the border never takes into account taxes on oil, duties on whisky, etc.

The poll tax went live in Scotland first - despite this actually being illegal under the Act of Union (where it is illegal to tax people in Scotland differently from people in England).

When they introduced rules on foreigners needing permission to marry in the UK, weddings in a Church of England church were exempt, but there was no such exemption for the Church of Scotland.

8>< SNIP NESTED QUOTES DELETED ><8

Admittedly I'd never have gone in with german flags on my cheek, and wouldn't have been singing, but I think you'll find a majority of Scots would have been quietly wanting Germany to win.

For you to not understand this, I'm going to guess you've never spent a lot of time in Scotland.

It's not the big things that annoy us about the English. It's the succession of little things.

Example:

On the weather map on the TV in the UK, they change the perspective so that Scotland appears smaller than it is, and the South of England appears larger.

I have no issue with the BBC showing cricket in England, but why do they show it in Scotland too. What makes the BBC think that's fair on their licence payers north of the border? We don't force YOU to watch shinty or the highland games.

Every single reference to Scotland by an Englishman complaining about their tax subsidising people north of the border never takes into account taxes on oil, duties on whisky, etc.

The poll tax went live in Scotland first - despite this actually being illegal under the Act of Union (where it is illegal to tax people in Scotland differently from people in England).

When they introduced rules on foreigners needing permission to marry in the UK, weddings in a Church of England church were exempt, but there was no such exemption for the Church of Scotland.

Oh, stop whinging, you miserable Scots git. You'll get us all a bad reputation.

If you don't want to watch it, turn the cricket off. If you'd rather watch Scotland play, then get out there and practice.

Thank God that your church is not an arm of the (English) state, and accept the consequences. Personally, I think it is wrong that our Crown is also head of the Church of England - I think temporal and ecclesiastical powers should be separated, but it was our James VI who most clearly put forward the divine right of kings, and we are lucky to have had a crown that since then, has more or less accepted the concommittant responsibilities.

As for the premature introduction of the Community Charge in Scotland, that was a particularly spiteful move which I assume was intended to bully us into voting Tory in the future - or perhaps an attempt to drive up nationalist support and gerrymander us out of the British parliament; in any case, in retrospect it was a milder curse than a second parliament.

I was glad to see England do well in the World Cup, and I am glad that the ball has now crossed the line to complete the 1966 Cup Final, albeit 44 years after the Final Whistle.

SC

Disrespect for other country's National Anthem is just plain ignorant... even if you detest the country they represent. It's a frigging sport, for gawd's sake, not a national disaster!

That said, however, there are so many stupit louts with no respect for ANYTHING, that I just shrug my shoulders. You could line up all the idiots in this world and try to shoot every one, and you would run out of bullets before completing the job. Why worry about a few fools who make jerks of themselves in public.

Disrespect for other country's National Anthem is just plain ignorant... even if you detest the country they represent. It's a frigging sport, for gawd's sake, not a national disaster!

That said, however, there are so many stupit louts with no respect for ANYTHING, that I just shrug my shoulders. You could line up all the idiots in this world and try to shoot every one, and you would run out of bullets before completing the job. Why worry about a few fools who make jerks of themselves in public.

Often-times I'm jealous of other countries' anthems, which seem so much more upbeat, optimistic and inspiring than our own; one of which the English use, for want of something to adopt for their own, and the other which is only really relevant for games against the English in any case. Both miserable dreary dirges, though, at the risk of sounding disrespectful...

SC

If only this was adopted as the "Angrits" official National Anthem even I would be happy to stand up and sing it wiff "em :thumbsup: ...Great sentiment...

Cant however stand the other DIRGE.... :coffee1::mellow:

And did those feet in ancient time.

Walk upon Englands mountains green:

And was the holy Lamb of God,

On Englands pleasant pastures seen!

And did the Countenance Divine,

Shine forth upon our clouded hills?

And was Jerusalem builded here,

Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold;

Bring me my Arrows of desire:

Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!