In Thailand, Do You Think Most Foreigners Can Tell Your Nationality ...

Jingthing

Are you a walking stereotype?  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I often get mistaken for a german, and germans say I speak german with a hamburger accent, telling a difference between nationalities in thailand is usually very easy, with the english, the knotted hankey on the head and the black socks with flipflops are usually a dead giveaway, the australians are easy to recognise, their loud checked shorts, bearded faces and their drunken love for bar towels, and thats just the aussie women :whistling: zie schtermans by their red faces and love for small women, and of course the ever present doppelkorn and underberg smell in the mornings,words fail me to describe our US friend, human nearly, loudmouthed definitely,and should be banned from invading or visiting any country bigger than luxemburg B) that way they can feel superior, last but not least our scandinavian and swiss friends, very shy and retiring, usually only seen in the prachuap area of thailand , lurking in the door ways of real estae offices in and around huahin :jap:

If I see a foreigner I assume he/she is not a Thai national, and conversely, if I see a Thai then I think I can safely assume he/she is not a foreigner.

That's nice, but the topic is about which NATIONALITY among all the nationalities of foreigners (defined as non-Thai) we find in Thailand.

The funniest occasion of this kind of thing for me was when an Irishman started off on an anti-American rant to me before I said a word. I smiled and replied in my most convincing American accept (I was diplomatic). That was priceless.

What Thais assume about our nationalities is another matter. I think a lot of them think I am an Arab until I speak.

Edited by Jingthing

If I see a foreigner I assume he/she is not a Thai national, and conversely, if I see a Thai then I think I can safely assume he/she is not a foreigner.

That's nice, but the topic is about which NATIONALITY among all the nationalities of foreigners (defined as non-Thai) we find in Thailand.

The funniest occasion of this kind of thing for me was when an Irishman started off on an anti-American rant to me before I said a word. I smiled and replied in my most convincing American accept (I was diplomatic). That was priceless.

What Thais assume about our nationalities is another matter. I think a lot of them think I am an Arab until I speak.

Is that because of your 4 wives following behind you JT? :lol:

How can someone possible know that?? An average Norwegian can look like someone from xx other countries on Europe.

There are plenty of clues. I guess you aren't cut out to be a private dick.

Your avatar is a good clue.

From Whitman to Metatron.

such as? what's the outward difference between a Serbian and a Polish for instance?

or, in your case easier, between a Finnish and a Dutchman?

Finns look like Lapp dancers, Dutchmen fly

Do they teach you nothing in school these days?

SC

The best Polish is Kiwi

I have the hair of an australian, the face of a syrian and the chin of an italian.

Or so I am led to believe.

Nobody ever guesses where I am from.

That is the advantage of speaking some languages fluently without any accents :-)

Before I open my mouth people assume I'm Russian or Polish. (Sometimes I get people guessing Swedish)

I'm American (of Dutch descent) and I get the "Russian/ Polish" thing no matter where I go!

& after i open my mouth i get the whole "You sould like you are Eastern European.." I have no idea where this comes from!!

I was born and raised in North Carolina, and then lived in NYC for a little over 7 years, people in both places always ask me "Where are you from???????????" No one ever guesses that I'm American.

EDIT* typo =(

Edited by ihunnieibee

Even when I open my mouth people can't tell.

Born Finland, grown up Sweden, Collage in US, now Thai Expat.

I usually can tell call tourist passport.

Scandinavian, Russian, English and US citizen are easiest.

Dutch and Canadians are hardest to spot.

(During the word cup I have no problems spotting the dutch)

Is that because of your 4 wives following behind you JT? :lol:

Unlikely :rolleyes:

This is a pure racial thread, but "silly-funny" coated .

It makes you wonder why would anyone -continuously and relentlessly - tries to stir shit on such sensitive topics.

It makes you wonder why would anyone -continuously and relentlessly - tries to stir shit on such sensitive topics.

Nope. Its actually you who is stirring it here. There are many visual clues to nationality. I have met people who claim they can usually tell Americans by the way they walk, and I think there is merit to their observations.

Nope. Its actually you who is stirring it here. There are many visual clues to nationality. I have met people who claim they can usually tell Americans by the way they walk, and I think there is merit to their observations.

the size of their backsides is usually a good indicator.wink.gif