Being Careful With Your Cash

gravion

Like most others on Thaivisa forum, I usually carry around ฿1,000,000 in cash and since I'm 6'6 of muscle with a conventionally handsome face to boot and I'm a 30 year veteran of the SAS, Black Ops, Black Water, Black Skin, Navy Seals and I once disarmed an apache gunship that was drunk and causing trouble in my soi, I don't worry about theft.

• Like 1

Like most others on Thaivisa forum, I usually carry around ฿1,000,000 in cash and since I'm 6'6 of muscle with a conventionally handsome face to boot and I'm a 30 year veteran of the SAS, Black Ops, Black Water, Black Skin, Navy Seals and I once disarmed an apache gunship that was drunk and causing trouble in my soi, I don't worry about theft.

I think I know You , : where we in the Girlguides together?

one thing that bugs me about thai banks is that if you make a large withdrawl they count out all the cash in front of everyone else to see, no discretion. They should have a private area to do this.

I once knew a jackass. He was in a bar and I saw him that night and he said he lost 60K that night somewhere. duh! do I really know that guy? well I did but care not to now. moron carrying that cash out on a drunken binge night

I think it was a wind-up; he was hoping you'd comb the soi on your hands and knees...

I might start using that one...I'm chuckling in anticipation now

SC

I usually withdrawal 20K baht from the ATMs and I am not too worried. Though I wouldn't want to walk around late at night on a dark soi carrying that. Sometimes I am carrying a lot more to make a big cash purchase. No big deal, just get there and pay.

At least they let you withdraw cash here. I tried to withdraw $6000 there in cash and they told me i had to fill in a form and come back the next day for that huge amout of cash. I left with a bank cheque for $240000 which I deposited in the bank next door. They had the cheek to ask why I was closing my accounts too.

Edited by harrry

Isnot that true everywhere in the world. When you have cash you have to worry about being robbed. I had a friend make a withdrawal at an atm in Montreal he was knocked onconscious and robbed right at the atm. He woke up on the ground cash gone. This was in broad daylight. I see Thais walk out of banks with hundreds of thousands of baht all the time in brown envelopes. Life is full of risk.

A few years ago (when I was still rich!), I needed to transfer 2 million baht between 2 Thai banks. The easiest way to do it was to withdraw this as cash from one bank, walk across the road to the other bank and deposit it.

So one Friday afternoon, I withdraw the 2 million baht, walked across the road and tried to deposit the money at the other bank.

'No can do' was the answer - 'this is just a small sub-branch, and we cannot accept cash deposits more than 100,000 baht'

So I ran back across the road to put the money back into the first bank and found that they were now closed for the weekend...

I went home on the MRT, clutching 2 million baht to my chest and telling anyone who stared at me or came within 2 meters of me to '<deleted> off' (well, I tried to look fierce anyway...)

I spent the weekend clutching my money - even have a photo somewhere of the piles of bank notes

Simon

A few years ago (when I was still rich!), I needed to transfer 2 million baht between 2 Thai banks. The easiest way to do it was to withdraw this as cash from one bank, walk across the road to the other bank and deposit it.

This is still the quickest and easiest way to transfer money between two different banks in the UK. It takes a full three working days to do a bank - bank transfer with different banks on a personal account there (at my bank anyway). Of course if you pay more than £10,000 in cash into your account the inland revenue are informed just for good measure.

I had an experience the other day with some people carrying a large wad of cash in a brown envelope. Even though it wasn't mine,I still felt nervous walking with someone with a couple of million in cash. They were a couple of people transferring ownership of a property.

The buyer played safe and had a bank draft to start with but when the seller tried to deposit it into the Government Savings Bank the GSB wouldn't accept the bank draft. Back to the original bank we went and despite that bank manager phoning the GSB manager he wouldn't accept the bank draft. The original bank then gave the money in cash.

As for me I regularly walk around with 20k in cash and don't worry. I do make sure the cash is spread around and not all in my wallet.

This is still the quickest and easiest way to transfer money between two different banks in the UK. It takes a full three working days to do a bank - bank transfer with different banks on a personal account there (at my bank anyway). Of course if you pay more than £10,000 in cash into your account the inland revenue are informed just for good measure.

i'm not sure it's the revenue, i think its the money-laundry sniffers that are informed.

The Thai's love their cash!

I'm at the bank at least a couple of times a month and there is nearly allways someone either depositing or withdrawing large amounts of cash.

In Australia even medium sized banks you need to give them 24 hours notice if you need to withdraw more than $10k.

Acouple of months ago I was a Bkk Bank branch and a couple of tellers down there was a woman withdrawing about (approx) 6 million! The money counting machine was going flat chat for at least 10 minutes and then she just stuffed the cash inside her bag.

She finished just before me and I follower outside where I expected her to jump into a security car or something. She jumped into a tuktuk!!

Not a taxi, a <deleted> tuktuk!!! :o

I felt like robbing her myself :whistling:

As a tourist, when I come to Thailand I tend to take out 10 or 20 Thousand Baht at a time. I will carry about 5 thousand baht and leave the rest in my room safe along with my American Cash.

But you have to be careful no matter where you are. Just recently here in the USA. I needed to move money from my Credit Union savings account to my bank account. I drove to a no charge teller in a local 7/11 type store and took out $500 USD, (The max allowed to withdraw per day as set by the banks here in the USA). I then drove to my local bank located in a shopping center. It was about 9pm. The shopping center was near empty but very well lit. I parked my car infront of the ATM and began to deposit the cash. When I was done and the ATM pushed out my deposit slip, a car appeared out of nowhere, swiftly pulled up behind my car. The driver had his window down and just watched me. I pulled my ATM card, looked from them to my receipt and back to them as I moved back to my car. I can only guess that once they realized that the ATM didn't give me any money, they sped off leaving the parking lot as quickly as they had entered.

I can only guess that if I had made a withdrawl and they had seen cash in my hand they would have probably pulled a gun and demanded my cash.

i'm not sure it's the revenue, i think its the money-laundry sniffers that are informed.

On that note, I'm off down to the maney-launderers just now to wash and rinse about a third of a million, and I'm sure that they will have to advise the sniffers. It takes me a few days to withdraw it all, bit by bit (so to speak)

SC

how about ur atm cards? because i think this is only in thailand, u can use the atm card as like a debit card to purchase things without PIN...

so if ur atm card is stolen, its likely to be used in shopping spree?

As a tourist, when I come to Thailand I tend to take out 10 or 20 Thousand Baht at a time. I will carry about 5 thousand baht and leave the rest in my room safe along with my American Cash.

Probably safer leaving it on a table mate.

Weren't you the bloke who sh-t himself when I tapped him on the shoulder at the cash machine?? :whistling: Think you'd just drawn out 500 Baht for a night out!!

Weren't you the bloke who sh-t himself when I tapped him on the shoulder at the cash machine?? :whistling: Think you'd just drawn out 500 Baht for a night out!!

that must have been me, i've got 2 atms cards, one with 100k and other one is for recieving my salary, 20k a month. i aint hiso and do not wish to spend more than 200 for a night out, as if i get invited...

thai atm isnt very private and anyone can see the screen which displays how much is in ur card... i do carry both cards at the same time, because it's not exactly safe leaving at the apartment. where i live is semi-ghetto. 2500 on a rent, got aircon though...

i have spoken to a thai dude, about if hewill jack a person if they carry 6 million in cash. now he goes on about karma and shizz.

prolly in eu or us or japan or korean or china or some asia, u will get mugged straight up yeah? i actually do not know if i could control myself from mugging if i see 6million in their floppy bag!!! maybe need a beer b4 hand thoguh, dunno.

as well as somchais and nanas cueing up on the deposit machine... wow lots of oportunities there during peak hours in the mall...

there must be some hiso somchais and nanas cueing up, putting their profits from their own business or drug deal or soemhting....

wow

they there must be wads of 50,000. maybe more in those brown envelopes. they look really delicious.....................................................

The Thai's love their cash!

I'm at the bank at least a couple of times a month and there is nearly allways someone either depositing or withdrawing large amounts of cash.

In Australia even medium sized banks you need to give them 24 hours notice if you need to withdraw more than $10k.

Acouple of months ago I was a Bkk Bank branch and a couple of tellers down there was a woman withdrawing about (approx) 6 million! The money counting machine was going flat chat for at least 10 minutes and then she just stuffed the cash inside her bag.

She finished just before me and I follower outside where I expected her to jump into a security car or something. She jumped into a tuktuk!!

Not a taxi, a <deleted> tuktuk!!! :o

I felt like robbing her myself :whistling:

Bloody big bag to hold that much, plus the weight!

In UK do an EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer) before 1515 on any working day and the funds will be in the other UK bank account (business or private) the same working day. May cost up to Max £25./ transaction.

Inter same bank transfers are not subject to the £10,000 money laundering checks and will be instant.