Regestration Of A Used Motorcycle

I was looking to buy a big bike, found one that I liked but the seller was dragging his feet supplying the greenbook, and getting around to me taking it for a test drive. The other day while looking for a big bike to rent to take a long ride with my friends, I found the exact bike for rent, so I took it to see how it would do on a long drive. I loved the bike and asked the guy I rented it from if he wanted to sell it. He gave a price 30,000 Baht less than the one I was looking at, and it's in better shape. No brainer there.

Now my problem. The Thai that rented it to me, has had it for 5 years and never transferred ownership. He has a signed copy of the Thai's ID that sold it to him. I'm assuming that there is a transfer document as well. Any one else had to deal with this? Anyone know what hassle I will have to go through to get the green book in my name? I'm on a retirement visa, and know I'll need a certificate of residency. I'm just wondering about the Thai paperwork. Would the seller just sign another transfer document, and sign a copy of his ID? Would there be extra charges for not changing ownership for 5 years?

Might be easy, might be impossible.. Very often if they havent changed the name its for a reason, like the book is bent in one of the 10's of ways it can be messed up.

Have you dont a full inspection for frame numbers, engine numbers, book model, year of manufacture and if that matches the bike, evidence of frame number tampering, is the bike a parts import, does it have the excise taxes paid, etc etc etc.. Those are just the start.

The Thai that rented it to me, has had it for 5 years and never transferred ownership.

Ask yourself "Why?" - and then do all the checks LivinLOS advised, if you think there is a reasonable answer.... and by "think" I mean if you are given one, not just imagine one as there could be all sorts of reasons

- the registered owner could be dead, it could be stolen, have been collateral for a loan, etc, etc, etc.

Technically, even if all the other paperwork is in order (which seems unlikely if it is such a bargain), the signed copy of the original (actual) owner's ID card is no longer valid as it is out of date (Thai ID cards are only valid for 5 years). Anything signed by the seller / current "owner" is worthless, as the bike is not registered in his name.

The only "extra charges" you could be liable for would be if tax has not been paid for 5 years (or more), which would make you liable for a small fine of a maximum of three years road tax plus interest.

Unless you can go to the Land Transport Office with the seller and transfer the bike to your name and then pay whatever you agree on you are effectively buying a bike that you cannot transfer to your name and own, even if

it comes with a valid book and you can tax and insure it. That could make it worth more than a bike that has no book at all, but on the other hand it could be stolen or have a valid owner which could make it worth a lot less.

It sounds like you are looking at lemons - its only a guide, as even though it sounds unlikely there may be a valid reason for a bike being sold cheaply, but what bike are you looking at, and for how much?

The Thai that rented it to me, has had it for 5 years and never transferred ownership.

Ask yourself "Why?" - and then do all the checks LivinLOS advised, if you think there is a reasonable answer.... and by "think" I mean if you are given one, not just imagine one as there could be all sorts of reasons

- the registered owner could be dead, it could be stolen, have been collateral for a loan, etc, etc, etc.

Technically, even if all the other paperwork is in order (which seems unlikely if it is such a bargain), the signed copy of the original (actual) owner's ID card is no longer valid as it is out of date (Thai ID cards are only valid for 5 years). Anything signed by the seller / current "owner" is worthless, as the bike is not registered in his name.

The only "extra charges" you could be liable for would be if tax has not been paid for 5 years (or more), which would make you liable for a small fine of a maximum of three years road tax plus interest.

Unless you can go to the Land Transport Office with the seller and transfer the bike to your name and then pay whatever you agree on you are effectively buying a bike that you cannot transfer to your name and own, even if

it comes with a valid book and you can tax and insure it. That could make it worth more than a bike that has no book at all, but on the other hand it could be stolen or have a valid owner which could make it worth a lot less.

It sounds like you are looking at lemons - its only a guide, as even though it sounds unlikely there may be a valid reason for a bike being sold cheaply, but what bike are you looking at, and for how much?

In addition to previous posts, if tax has not been payed for 3 years bike is deregistered. Need new emmision test and approval

I checked, the numbers on the frame and engine match.  The guy selling the motorcycle also sold it then bought it back again from that person.  The copy of the ID has not expired, and is still valid until Dec.  There is a blank transfer document that was signed and waiting to be filled out.  Page 18 of the green book show that the taxes have been paid, and there is a current sticker on the bike.  The bike is not being sold cheap, but it is a fair price, and like I said 30,000 baht less than the only other bike like it that I found like it for sale.<br>

In addition to previous posts, if tax has not been payed for 3 years bike is deregistered. Need new emmision test and approval

Thats what I understood too.. But someone on here told me that wasnt the case.. Just pay the fine and back tax and get a new tax sticker..

I checked, the numbers on the frame and engine match.  The guy selling the motorcycle also sold it then bought it back again from that person.  The copy of the ID has not expired, and is still valid until Dec.  There is a blank transfer document that was signed and waiting to be filled out.  Page 18 of the green book show that the taxes have been paid, and there is a current sticker on the bike.  The bike is not being sold cheap, but it is a fair price, and like I said 30,000 baht less than the only other bike like it that I found like it for sale.<br>

There's only one way to find out. Take the bike and current owner to nearest land transport office and if they transfer the bike to your name without hassle pay the man and enjoy your new bike. If not, walk away.