Morons Guide To Televisions

neverdie

Since I am also a potential TV and

I think you should rephrase that or are you coming out of the closet? :)

Sory, I couldn't help myself.

I'll be buying a new TV when I move to my new house next year so I still have a bit of time yet. Like neverdie, I don't know much about the subject, so this thread has been very intersting and eye opening for me. I will not be spending more that 50k baht though. Maybe some of the current expensive models will be within my rang by mid next year.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do so many of you always presume everyone on TV is a native English speaker? When picking at someone I think you should at least spell your own words correctly. :annoyed:

• Like 1

Why do so many of you always presume everyone on TV is a native English speaker? When picking at someone I think you should at least spell your own words correctly. :annoyed:

:huh:

I wasn't picking on you or your English. I knew what you were trying to say. It was a joke. Jeez, some people take everything so seriously.... Back to tellies!!

For those interested in the Panasonic Viera Plasma V-series here are some valuable information:

Model: TH-P42V20 (42"): Price 49,990 baht

Model: TH-P50V20 (50"): Price 69,990 baht

Technical Information: http://panasonic.net...lasma_spec.html

Panasonic Thailand also mention a V-series 65" model, TH-P65V10 that is priced at 199,990 baht, but I cannot find any detailed technical information in English for this product.

Hmm power cons. for the 50"= 415W and 70K bath, not bad. I am not willing to pay 100-150K bath for a 50" top of the range LCD/LED TV. Will check later how much power a 50" LCD TV typical use compared to a Plasma TV.

Samsung LED TV Power Consumptions for comparison to the Panasonic V-series plasma:

55" 9000 Series: 230W

55" 8000 Series: 250W

55" 7000 Series: Figure not provided

55" 6000 Series: Figure not provided

Samsung LED TV Power Consumptions for comparison to the Panasonic V-series plasma:

I don't know about you but when I buy a TV I have one major interest and that is the picture quality, after all isn't that why you buy a TV otherwise a radio would do wouldn't it? If you like me are concerned with picture quality then at this time with present technology there is no doubt at all that Plasma TV's are still very much ahead of the competition. On the other hand if power consumption is your main concern then go ahead and purchase an LED TV! I do not have my TV on all day so power consumption is not a major concern. One further point although not as good as the LED TV's on watts the latest generation Plasmas use considerably less power than the older models, and now share the thin dimensions of the LED TV's http://www.samsung.c...agetype=subtype http://www.lg.com/uk...sions/index.jsp Personal preference, everyone to their own as they say . . . . Good luck!

Edited by ianwrd4

I don't know about you but when I buy a TV I have one major interest and that is the picture quality, after all isn't that why you buy a TV otherwise a radio would do wouldn't it? If you like me are concerned with picture quality then at this time with present technology there is no doubt at all that Plasma TV's are still very much ahead of the competition. On the other hand if power consumption is your main concern then go ahead and purchase an LED TV! I do not have my TV on all day so power consumption is not a major concern. One further point although not as good as the LED TV's on watts the latest generation Plasmas use considerably less power than the older models, and now share the thin dimensions of the LED TV's http://www.samsung.c...agetype=subtype http://www.lg.com/uk...sions/index.jsp Personal preference, everyone to their own as they say . . . . Good luck!

How much difference in monthly cost is there between these sets? I'm with you...power consumption is just not that important. You could end up spending 10k Baht more on a set with lower power consumption and then take years to recover that extra money in power savings. Right?

I have done some research about doing extra insulation in our house. Figure it will take 2-3 years at least to break even (we are not here full time and don't use the AC often, except in the PM and at night in the bedroom). Since I might not be here in 3 years, not sure it is worth the effort?

If you are referring to me than my preference is always picture quality first within my budget frame. My posts regarding power consumptions was in response to other member's questions.

Having said that, power consumption does matter here in Thailand due to its cost but also because the heat generated by the older and simpler plasma versions.

One drawback with the LED/LCD TVs is the poor viewing angles, hence, those TVs are perfectly o.k. in smaller rooms but actually rather poor in larger rooms where viewers might watch from a large side angel. The plasma's larger light reflection is to me a minor thing.

I agree, picture quality is top priority. The reason I was mention power consumption was primarily because of heat generation, and if the consumption difference is rather large, you might be better of buying a LED TV (but that's not the case). This topic is called morons guide to TV and I am one of them OK:lol: .

By carefully reading all the post on this topic I learned a lot and might well buy a Plasma TV, as they seems to be best value for money incl best picture quality.

Funny you should mention that. Powerbuy has the TH-P50X20T on sale for 32k Baht. It's not 1080p, but for that price, a heck of a TV. To get a 50" plasma that is full HD will cost at least 45k and probably more....not sure it is worth the extra money as we rarely watch true HD stuff?

Funny you should mention that. Powerbuy has the TH-P50X20T on sale for 32k Baht. It's not 1080p, but for that price, a heck of a TV. To get a 50" plasma that is full HD will cost at least 45k and probably more....not sure it is worth the extra money as we rarely watch true HD stuff?

There is, however, another reason why the latest plasma models should be considered and that is their lower power consumption and thus lower heat generation compared to older models. A factor worth taken into account here i Thailand with its hot climate and very expensive electricity.

There is, however, another reason why the latest plasma models should be considered and that is their lower power consumption and thus lower heat generation compared to older models. A factor worth taken into account here i Thailand with its hot climate and very expensive electricity.

The TH50X20T is rated at 290 Watts and the heat produced is minimal.

I paid 31,000 for mine, it's a heck of a TV for the price, I download 720p movies and the picture quality is excellent after adjusting the settings.

Yes it appear to be a great deal. I am not advocating that it is bad to buy older TV models that are priced much cheaper than the new models, what I have been trying to say all along is that there are several factors to consider when buying a large flat TV whether it is plasma or LED/LCD, new or old. We all have different preferences, requirements and budgets.

Good luck with your new TV Sillyman99!

Plasma picture quality still better than the high-end LEDs?

Not even close I'm afraid, What Hi-Fi's best TV (price no object) is the Samsung UE55C9000 LED. Made further true with the advent of 3D LED technology, another nail in plasma's coffin.

Plasma is old technology with many issues that ensure it will disappear over the next 12-24 months, as LED backlight sets become cheaper and more widely available.

It's not only the high power consumption of plasmas that is the problem though, it is the screen burn issues that still have not been fully eradicated, and the limited lifespan of the plasma panels. Consider that you can only run your plasma at 50% to begin with and then knowing that one day it will expire, when LCDs and LEDs can run straight out of the box and don't have a limited shelf life. There's also aesthetics to consider, LEDs now are less than an inch thick, while plasmas still are about three or four inches, heavy and not to mention the heat they generate. Who in Thailand wants to sit in front of something that generates that much heat?

If you are on a limited budget and need a larger screen then by all means consider a plasma but the way forward is backlit LED, make no mistake about it.

Im still researching & viewing various options........it seems the Samsungs really have the market stiched up and thanks for posting those failure rates buckeye.

I like the C8000 46 inch Samsung but i still cant work out why everywhere i go the model number seems to vary a little and whilst i feel a little wiser than before, im still confused.

The samsungs are sprouting off about 200htz panels with chips that increase this up to 960htz & the LG dude & Panasonic lad that theres new models coming in the next 2 months with up to 480htz (& a price tag to match).

I was also told the new 9000 series samsung in the 55inch was going to sell for in excess of 200,000 baht <deleted>? ohmy.gif

I have a series 9 Samsung 50" Plasma that is 2 1/2 years old, There are very few screens that I have seen that compare to it, the new 9 series you mention is a little better but is it worth that much?

If you really want to compare sets go to somewhere that knows what they are doing as the settings can make a huge difference to the picture quality. Your average retailer just takes them out of the box plug it and that's it. A little tweaking in the user setting can make a big difference.

Nearly everything I watch/play is 1080i or 1080p nowadays.

50" 1080p Samsung plasmas can be bought at SRC for under 30,000thb.

http://www.src-homelcd.com/

They have that Panasonic at 25,990thb. I am expecting my third TV from them to arrive any moment. They do charge 700thb for delivery though, and that is Bangkok! They are located in Raminthra if you wish to collect.

If you are on a limited budget and need a larger screen then by all means consider a plasma but the way forward is backlit LED, make no mistake about it.

Make no mistake about it. smile.gif

What the guy is saying was true previously but not anymore. The best TV now available is an LED. The new Samsung 55C9000 LED has a picture no plasma can match.

LEDs are superb and just keep getting better.

Don't forget there are some very cheap and nasty plasmas out there, you aren't going to get superb picture quality from a plasma every time unless you buy a Pioneer Kuros or something similar.

Your non Blu Ray DVD's look better on a 1080P screen if you have an upscaling DVD player. So I would think twice before getting a lower resolution screen. As time goes by there will be a lot more full HD content to watch.

Go with what you prefer and what suits your budget. I have owned 3 HD TVs; an LCD, a plasma and I preferred the LCD over the plasma and I am now getting an LED.

The LCD was especially stunning when it comes to blu-ray and BD rips. Just had more pop and wow factor than the plasma IMO.

The new 2010 Panasonic 42" plasmas (G25 series) are now down to 99 watts of power consumption when on and 0.3 watt when off/on standby. They also expect a screen life of 30+ years now far beyond normal obsolescence. Now that I have decided to wait on 3D improvements and price decline, I am looking for the best price on a Panasonic TC-P42G25 in USA.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10455653-1.html

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Televisions/All-VIERA-Flat-Panel-HDTVs/model.TC-P42G25.O_11002_7000000000000005702#tabsection

Not even close I'm afraid, What Hi-Fi's best TV (price no object) is the Samsung UE55C9000 LED. Made further true with the advent of 3D LED technology, another nail in plasma's coffin.

Plasma is old technology with many issues that ensure it will disappear over the next 12-24 months, as LED backlight sets become cheaper and more widely available.

It's not only the high power consumption of plasmas that is the problem though, it is the screen burn issues that still have not been fully eradicated, and the limited lifespan of the plasma panels. Consider that you can only run your plasma at 50% to begin with and then knowing that one day it will expire, when LCDs and LEDs can run straight out of the box and don't have a limited shelf life. There's also aesthetics to consider, LEDs now are less than an inch thick, while plasmas still are about three or four inches, heavy and not to mention the heat they generate. Who in Thailand wants to sit in front of something that generates that much heat?

I don't have the time or energy to point out all the misinformation in this post. I will post the link to Cnet's top five HDTVs for picture quality in 2010. The top four are plasmas and number five is an LCD by LG. To be fair, they have not tested the Samsung 9000 series.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs/?tag=contentMain;contentBody;pm

I don't agree with all of this....as is pointed out, plasmas have won several head to head shootouts over LCD. LED? Prices are dropping so fast it's hard to buy now and watch your money disappear! And that one you recommend...is the price true? I think I saw 280k Baht! Insane...

The new 2010 Panasonic 42" plasmas (G25 series) are now down to 99 watts of power consumption when on and 0.3 watt when off/on standby. They also expect a screen life of 30+ years now far beyond normal obsolescence. Now that I have decided to wait on 3D improvements and price decline, I am looking for the best price on a Panasonic TC-P42G25 in USA.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10455653-1.html

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Televisions/All-VIERA-Flat-Panel-HDTVs/model.TC-P42G25.O_11002_7000000000000005702#tabsection

Checkout this review on that Panasonic. Not very good, unfortunately...

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-viera-tc-p42g25/4505-6482_7-33957040.html

I don't agree with all of this....as is pointed out, plasmas have won several head to head shootouts over LCD. LED? Prices are dropping so fast it's hard to buy now and watch your money disappear! And that one you recommend...is the price true? I think I saw 280k Baht! Insane...

http://news.cnet.com...10455653-1.html

http://www2.panasoni...5702#tabsection

http://reviews.cnet....7-33957040.html

Why do you say not very good when the review you provide the link to say's "Very Good"whistling.gif

Why do you say not very good when the review you provide the link to say's "Very Good"whistling.gif

Here are the comments that concerned me:

===============================================

The bad: Last year's Panasonic plasmas lost black level performance over relatively short periods of time; cannot properly handle 1080p/24 sources; fewer streaming services and apps than the competition; uses more power than LCDs.

The bottom line: Panasonic's TC-PG20/25 series offers a highly tempting mix of features, value, and initial picture quality, but long-term black-level performance is still an open question.

===============================================

Losing black level performance over time is not good. Not being able to handle 1080p is also an issue. Other than that, it does get good reviews. It's so hard to pick a TV. There are so many things to look at, each one has pros and cons (money being a big one!). I definitely need a morons guide to buying TVs! Luckily, I'm not in a hurry...

I suppose this is an academic question on the Thai Visa forum as the Panasonic G series isn't sold in Asia yet. For this market only the VT, V, U, A and X series are currently available.

Also, the 42" G series draws 129W (not 99W as previously stated) while the 50" version draws 325W. The corresponding figures for the V series are 156W and 430W respectively.

The specifications for the G and V series are otherwise identical and both model use 0.4W (not 0.3W as previously stated) in stand-by mode.