Morons Guide To Televisions

neverdie

Go with what you prefer and what suits your budget. I have owned 3 HD TVs; an LCD, a plasma and I preferred the LCD over the plasma and I am now getting an LED.

The LCD was especially stunning when it comes to blu-ray and BD rips. Just had more pop and wow factor than the plasma IMO.

So you're not bothered about picture quality. rolleyes.gif

Let us know how you get on with the LED, I must admit, aesthetically they look great, and that Samsung at 400,000 Baht ought to be good, but I'd still put a Pioneer Kuro up against the most expensive LCD or LED and my money would be on the Kuro to come out on top, followed by another Plasma from Panasonic.

All the professional reviewers can't be wrong, and I have yet to see any reviews where the LCD or LED beats a Plasma for picture quality.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose this is an academic question on the Thai Visa forum as the Panasonic G series isn't sold in Asia yet. For this market only the VT, V, U, A and X series are currently available.

Also, the 42" G series draws 129W (not 99W as previously stated) while the 50" version draws 325W. The corresponding figures for the V series are 156W and 430W respectively.

The specifications for the G and V series are otherwise identical and both model use 0.4W (not 0.3W as previously stated) in stand-by mode.

The power consumption values you cite might be for the 2009 version or the Asian version of this model as the improved version available in the US in about June of this year are supposed to be as I cited from the articles mentioned and the Panasonic US website. Those differences are not material to me but some of the other points you mentioned are.

I am in the US and have looked at the Costco, Best Buy and Sears websites and don't find this model either but that is typical of those websites so I plan on making the rounds to the retail stores today and see what's up and how I will know its a 2010 version vs. a 2009 version as there are other improvements mentioned in the CNET article I cited too.

The CNET review article you cited is interesting to me too as it appears the fading black problem has been corrected per their update after one month of additional viewing. On other websites I have heard of a floating black problem that when early versions of that set were watched in total darkness but when even a small light was turned on in the room it would not be noticed. Nothing's perfect but I like to know what I am getting before spending a grand.

I appreciate the posts in this topic as I was leaning toward an LCD/LED purchase and now think the new energy efficient plasmas are the way to go in the 42 inch size that I am currently looking for.

The more I read about you guys discussions about Plasma's versus LED's the more confused I am getting:D , I guess I have to go and look for myself in TV shops.

But if you can buy say a HD 50" Plasma for around 50K bath against app. 100-150K bath for a HD LED in same size the choice is not hard unless off course money is not a problem.

By the way what did you buy neverdie or are you still looking??

The more I read about you guys discussions about Plasma's versus LED's the more confused I am getting:D , I guess I have to go and look for myself in TV shops.

But if you can buy say a HD 50" Plasma for around 50K bath against app. 100-150K bath for a HD LED in same size the choice is not hard unless off course money is not a problem.

My friends 55" LED is truly amazing....especially when playing a real BR DVD. BUT! I just don't want to spend that much money....

I was at the Samsung store yesterday. Had the PS-50C550 for 48k. I am sure you could get them to drop 10% off fairly easily....full HD, plasma.

You are 100% correct why spend all that money unless you have money to burn!! LED TV's are still very much in the gimmick stage and the technology although good just isn't there yet as compared to Plasma units. The big companies have invested billions in research and development and need to recover their investments hence the big ad campaigns for the LED TV's. If you ask the normal person off the street which TV they would prefer they would mostly say LED TV, they have been advertised as being the in thing to have and everyone wants one, but the adverts have been slightly miss leading at least in the picture quality department! Dont fall into the trap of choosing the TV based upon the picture available at the store, here LED TV's will perform best because they perform very well under heavy lighting conditions, how many of you watch TV under those kind of conditions at home? On the other hand Plasma units will look a lot duller in the store because they perform best in reduced to low light conditions, more of a home choice at least I think so . . .

Good luck. Let me know what you decide on in the end.

IW

To make things more confusing, even LED backlight TVs as we know them today will soon be yesterday's news when the OLED (Organic LED) TVs are ready for commercial release at more realistic prices.

That's been talked about for quite a few years now. Suspect that it will be a considerable amount of time before they are available in competitive sizes and prices for TV. There are issues that need to be resolved such as the deterioration of quality due to the nature of organic materials. Manufacturing for the sizes currently available is a major hurdle due to the requirement to coat (sputter) the material unto the substrate vertically.

My HTC Desire has an OLED display and it is impressive so certainly would like to see this happen.

//edit - that article appears to be 2-3 years old.

...here LED TV's will perform best because they perform very well under heavy lighting conditions, how many of you watch TV under those kind of conditions at home? On the other hand Plasma units will look a lot duller in the store because they perform best in reduced to low light conditions, more of a home choice at least I think so . . .

So you have the conclusion. If your TV is to be placed near to a window or sliding door of the balcony, go for LED TV as it will give a better picture during day or night watching. Plasma TV performs better in darkened rooms.

Hi guzzi,

I'm in one of my typical stall modes before I buy something expensive :lol: , I'm sorry if that is frustrating to anyone, I did it to the poor souls on the Photography sub forum but after a very couple of painful months I finally unleashed and spent a motza on a Camera after getting exactly what I wanted, the way I wanted it.

When I started this thread I had no idea whatsoever, hence the topic title. Now I have a little bit of an idea (DANGEROUS) thanks to the guys here, the internet/web reviews etc and snipits of other advice from others.

After sitting/standing & watching heaps of sets at various retail locations I have been able to focus the eye on the various pro's and cons of various sets. With fast motion etc I can definately see the difference between most LCD/LED LCD & the higher end plasmas, at first it wasnt so noticable to me but when I started really watching it was as plain as the nose on my face.

I spent a little bit of time watching the Samsung Demo on the new 55 inch 9000 series & to me (keeping in mind I have been unable to watch any dvd's on it etc) its picture is really sharp and it seems good with motion, something to do with it being 240htz with a chpset up to 960htz (i am sure the experts will correct me about these terms). Keeping in mind I DONT WANT A 55 inch box. One guy I was talking with even went as far as stating he liked the 8000 Series Samsung LED over the 9000 series as the 9000 was so slim (0.8cm) that it nolonger utilised the technology of the BACKLIT LED, again I am probably using the wrong words.....ANYWAY, the 9000 looks really great but theres NO WAY im spending that sort of $$$$.

My other line of thinking was when the 9000 is released (Start October in Thailand) then the price of the 8000 series could or should drop? (then again TIT) :lol::rolleyes:

I liked the picture on the 46 inch C8000 Samsung and thought in our light filled room that this would work well, the other half also wants all the other crap (internet connect etc) and 3D, which to me is a load of nonesense AND something that wouldnt get used very often.

Jury is still out for me, but I keep checking this thread & am indeed still searching.

...here LED TV's will perform best because they perform very well under heavy lighting conditions, how many of you watch TV under those kind of conditions at home? On the other hand Plasma units will look a lot duller in the store because they perform best in reduced to low light conditions, more of a home choice at least I think so . . .

So you have the conclusion. If your TV is to be placed near to a window or sliding door of the balcony, go for LED TV as it will give a better picture during day or night watching. Plasma TV performs better in darkened rooms.

If you watch TV during the day in a bright lit room then YES I would go for an LED unit. The LED units have higher contrast and work much better in bright light scenarios. However the LED wont perform as well in a room where the lights are turned down or off, say at night! PLASMA units will also reflect bright light due to the glass panel and this will also be a disadvantage in a bright room scenario, however this is much improved in the latest generation of Plasma units!

Realistically speaking the difference between the TOP PLASMA & LED units is not substantial (Except in some cases for the price) ! It is all down to personal preference. What's good for one person is not good for the other . . . .

Myself on the other hand, I'm looking for the best possible HD picture, I don't watch TV during the day and always watch in reduced lighting. The best way to decide would be to take both LED & PLASMA units back to your viewing location and then make that important decision LED or PLASMA. However I also know that here in Thailand, in most cases, this option is not possible but worth a try . . . . . . !!

As for OLED TV, yes a great technology but it is a long way down the road to becoming affordable to the many. At the moment Sony's 11 inch unit is retailing for aprox 2,500 GBP in the UK http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/sony-xel-1-ultra-slim-11-oled-tv-03895997-pdt.html. You just need to do the math's on a 60 inch . . . . . . . awch!!

I was at the Samsung store yesterday. Had the PS-50C550 for 48k.

SRC have that for 35,990thb. The 50B550 is 29,990thb!!!

http://www.src-homelcd.com/

So far the 46" LED (Samsung UA-46C5000Q) is performing very well. Still preferred the overall performance of my Samsung LCD series 5 but it is early days. Blu-rays look stunning. Downloads on the HDi Dune look a little more refined than on the LCD. I am still experimenting with settings though. The 5 series LCD has been relegated to the bedroom for the moment.

With fast motion etc I can definately see the difference between most LCD/LED LCD & the higher end plasmas, at first it wasnt so noticable to me but when I started really watching it was as plain as the nose on my face.

It comes down to the source material you are watching. I prefer Blu-rays and gaming on the LCD to the plasma. For poorer quality source material such as upscaled DVDs or Truevisions plasma is more forgiving.

I don't have the time or energy to point out all the misinformation in this post. I will post the link to Cnet's top five HDTVs for picture quality in 2010. The top four are plasmas and number five is an LCD by LG. To be fair, they have not tested the Samsung 9000 series.

http://reviews.cnet....;contentBody;pm

To be fair, CNET reviews should be taken with a large pinch of salt. They are aimed at people who don't know their ar*e from their elbow.

All these seem to be LED or LCDs, from a more established and trusted source,

http://www.whathifi.com/bestbuys/tvs-bestbuys/best-buy-tvs/

"As for the biggest selling point of all – contrast performance – it’s just as fabulous as you’d hope it would be, the Philips generating pictures that get close to the dramatic depth and punch of Pioneer’s remarkable (and now unavailable) Kuro plasmas."

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Philips-40PFL9704/

This topic is getting better and better, some posters have a lot of knowledge on the subject and are gold for morons (on TV's) like me, he-he.

So Plasma are better in dark rooms and LED's best in bright rooms, OK nice to know, I am actually using my TV in both scenarios.

Just happen to pass by the TV section in BIG C North Pattaya today when out shopping for something else:whistling: and had a look at 3pcs 50" Plasma TV's: LG & Samsung & Panasonic all at app. 30K bath. The Panasonic's picture was really good, but what source they were using is unknown as I didn't want to talk to the sales guy as he looked like a shark ready to go into attack mode and I don't want to buy a TV in BIG C anyway. Interesting was it though that these 3 TV's was the biggest (and only one) at display and are properly targeting Thais, which indicates to me that you can get a fairly good 50" TV (Plasma) for 30K.

neverdie I agree, this process will also take me properly 3 month to choose or maybe even more, but also I must admit that other improvements in our new house have higher priority.

• Like 1

To be fair, CNET reviews should be taken with a large pinch of salt. They are aimed at people who don't know their ar*e from their elbow.

A little unfair I think, especially coming from a guy that thinks an LCD can match a Plasma for Picture Quality. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I was at the Samsung store yesterday. Had the PS-50C550 for 48k.

SRC have that for 35,990thb. The 50B550 is 29,990thb!!!

http://www.src-homelcd.com/

So far the 46" LED (Samsung UA-46C5000Q) is performing very well. Still preferred the overall performance of my Samsung LCD series 5 but it is early days. Blu-rays look stunning. Downloads on the HDi Dune look a little more refined than on the LCD. I am still experimenting with settings though. The 5 series LCD has been relegated to the bedroom for the moment.

With fast motion etc I can definately see the difference between most LCD/LED LCD & the higher end plasmas, at first it wasnt so noticable to me but when I started really watching it was as plain as the nose on my face.

It comes down to the source material you are watching. I prefer Blu-rays and gaming on the LCD to the plasma. For poorer quality source material such as upscaled DVDs or Truevisions plasma is more forgiving.

First time I looked at src-homelcd.com, I could not see the prices...now I can. Thanks for the link! Do they have a showroom also? Here in Pattaya, our choices for a decent place to review TVs is limited. PowerBuy at Central, Numchai and Carrefour seem to be the best.

Also, as an FYI...if you watch TV during the day and have lots of light sources, plasma REFLECTS less background light than LCDs, if I am not mistaken. I also usually watch TV at night, but we have many huge windows around our living room. I was at PowerBuy the other day and the guy pointed this out to me. Another thing to remember!

Can you guys can also post prices for what you have looked at? I would appreciate it! I will do the same...Thanks!!!!!!!!!!! :D

, plasma REFLECTS less background light than LCDs, if I am not mistaken.

You are mistaken, Plasma reflects more due to having a glass front, lcd is a matt plastic and reflects less. But there is no way I would replace my plasma with the current offering of lcd tv's.

Edited by garyh

, plasma REFLECTS less background light than LCDs, if I am not mistaken.

You are mistaken, Plasma reflects more due to having a glass front, lcd is a matt plastic and reflects less. But there is no way I would replace my plasma with the current offering of lcd tv's.

You are right, my friend! I replied before my first cup of coffee!

For me, that is a big deal when watching TV during the day as our living room is very bright. My Father had a TV room in his house...no windows. Awesome to watch TV there.

A little unfair I think, especially coming from a guy that thinks an LCD can match a Plasma for Picture Quality. rolleyes.gif

If you didn't bother to read the reviews I provided for you on the new Samsung and Philips TVs then that's your problem. Continue in your outdated belief that plasmas are still better.

You'll note I highlighted the Philips LCD/LED sets are getting close to beating some of the best TVs ever made, the Pioneer Kuros plasmas for picture quality.

First time I looked at src-homelcd.com, I could not see the prices...now I can. Thanks for the link! Do they have a showroom also?

They do and they are in Raminthra. It would be worth coming through to Bangkok if you have transport as I just saved 10,000thb on my Samsung LED over the Power Buy list price. It's my 3rd TV from them now.

If you didn't bother to read the reviews I provided for you on the new Samsung and Philips TVs then that's your problem. Continue in your outdated belief that plasmas are still better.

You'll note I highlighted the Philips LCD/LED sets are getting close to beating some of the best TVs ever made, the Pioneer Kuros plasmas for picture quality.

First time I looked at src-homelcd.com, I could not see the prices...now I can. Thanks for the link! Do they have a showroom also?

They do and they are in Raminthra. It would be worth coming through to Bangkok if you have transport as I just saved 10,000thb on my Samsung LED over the Power Buy list price. It's my 3rd TV from them now.

YES LED units are getting better, and YES there is no doubt that in the future they will overtake the Plasma units. But right now NO they don't have the edge. Everybody is entitled to their opinion be what it may, but in this day and age where money is scarce why pay the extra money for inferior technology. Its a bit like owning a Ferrari replica, looks good on the outside but when it comes to performance . . . need I say more!! I own both LED and PLASMA units and I like both sets. But if you place both side by side you will clearly see the difference, and that difference being the PLASMA unit has superior black levels, color reproduction and motion capture and that is what I look for in a main living space TV unit. I have no interest whatsoever in 3D for home viewing, I will go to the cinema to watch 3D but that's where I believe it should stay but that's another story, and this post isn't about 3D TV!

Come back to me in say 2 years and I will probably agree that LED technology has finally overtaken PLASMA, but right now on my planet at least PLASMA units still rule!!

By the way for those looking to buy a TV, whatever it may be try these guys http://www.setloft.com/home

For the Samsung LED Backlight TVs this site has exactly the same prices as Samsung's advertised prices. I wouldn't consider any internet shopping site unless there is a hefty discount.

And the Samsung store will negotiate a bit off their advertised prices. I was able to get them to agree to a 10% discount off one of the models...working on a bigger one now!

By the way for those looking to buy a TV, whatever it may be try these guys http://www.setloft.com/home

For the Samsung LED Backlight TVs this site has exactly the same prices as Samsung's advertised prices. I wouldn't consider any internet shopping site unless there is a hefty discount.

And the Samsung store will negotiate a bit off their advertised prices. I was able to get them to agree to a 10% discount off one of the models...working on a bigger one now!

E mail them with the unit/model number that you require or call into the shop (They do reply to enquiries in English). The site is a bit basic and they don't update it very often its worth an E mail at least. I bought the latest Samsung 58 inch PLASMA from them, PS58C6500 for 82,000 Baht ( Its not even advertised on their site), the price at Powerbuy, Powermall and the various Samsung shops is 99,000 Baht (no reductions) I think that's a good discount on a new model!

E mail them with the unit/model number that you require or call into the shop (They do reply to enquiries in English). The site is a bit basic and they don't update it very often its worth an E mail at least. I bought the latest Samsung 58 inch PLASMA from them, PS58C6500 for 82,000 Baht ( Its not even advertised on their site), the price at Powerbuy, Powermall and the various Samsung shops is 99,000 Baht (no reductions) I think that's a good discount on a new model!

That is indeed a very good price as the advertised price for this model is 99,990 baht. The PS58C6500, a slim line plasma of the Samsung's series 6, is a 2010 release.

plasma REFLECTS less background light than LCDs, if I am not mistaken.

I am not sure this has anything to do with the type of screen,

but it is a point to consider when deciding which model to buy.

The industry is hyped up about "crystal bright" screens for TV and computer at the moment.

In my book they are a pain.

My old 32" LCD was a matt screen, the new 40" is bright and reflective :bah:

plasma REFLECTS less background light than LCDs, if I am not mistaken.

I am not sure this has anything to do with the type of screen,

but it is a point to consider when deciding which model to buy.

The industry is hyped up about "crystal bright" screens for TV and computer at the moment.

In my book they are a pain.

My old 32" LCD was a matt screen, the new 40" is bright and reflective :bah:

The plasma screens reflect more background lights than LCDs as they are made of glass whereas the LCD screens are made of plastic. LCDs are generally better in very bright rooms too but have problems with side angle viewings.