Motorcycle Registration

I'm looking to buy my first scooter so have not gone through the registration process yet, my delema is I will be moving into a new condo in the next few months, so if I buy now will I need to have the address changed when I move and if so how difficult is it?

If its a real ball ache I'll just wait a few more months before buying. Staying in Jomtien incase different rules apply.

Hmmm... Doesn't seem to matter if you have a current address in your registration book. I bought my motorcycle 8 years ago. I've moved three times since then. I also have a scooter that was purchased 5 years ago. I've moved twice since then. Each time I asked about changing the addresses, I was told to wait till the licensing comes due. When the licensing comes due, I get the "Mai Pen Lai" answer.

The same was true with my drivers license. My new drivers license doesn't even have an address printed on it.

I've been stopped by the Police at several of the checks all around the Pattaya/Jomtien area for licensing, etc... I even had it stolen and recovered. It never seemed to matter. The scooter once was impounded because the driver and pillion riders were not wearing a helmet, the driver didn't have a drivers license, had three people on board, and no copy of the registration papers and no money to pay the fee/tip. When I went to recover it. Not a thing was mentioned about the address being current.

I would say don't worry about it. TIT

When I bought my bike in Bangkok, even though I have an address in Rayong province, my bike was registered by the dealer in Bangkok, showing the Rayong address. I apparently can change the registration when it comes due next year, but why bother? It's not a problem apparently having an address in one place, bike registered in another, so other than having your registration papers mailed annually, I doubt if there's any problem with addresses.

P.S. my address is also on the back of my driver's licence. Although most of the licence is in English, or both English and Thai, the address on the back is in Thai only.

Thanks for the replies, mates I've spoke to have said much the same but was just wondering if there was an official procedure.<br><br><br>

Just for the record, there is. Registering your change of address costs 50 baht and takes 5 - 10 minutes at the Land Transport Office.

The same was true with my drivers license. My new drivers license doesn't even have an address printed on it.

Is it not on the back of the license ???

P.S. my address is also on the back of my driver's licence. Although most of the licence is in English, or both English and Thai, the address on the back is in Thai only.

That is not correct, the adress on the back of the licence is not yours, it is the adress of the Department where you make the licence.

That is not correct, the adress on the back of the licence is not yours, it is the adress of the Department where you make the licence.

Then that Department just moved into my back room, because the address has my house number and street names!

Hm, so you can read Thai so well? ;)

On my licence is the adress of the Department. But hey, TiT, they do it everywhere different maybe? Here on Phuket you get the adress of the Department on newer licence, so it was my mistake to think, it must be everywhere the same. :)

Edited by giletto

That sounds easy enough John, any idea what proof of address is required? Would a utility bill do or will it need another letter from Imigration.

You'll need another letter from Immigration - it is easy, but most people just can't be bothered. If it were me I'd leave it until I have to renew the tax and do it then.

And the address on the back of the new licences is your home address, as JusMe correctly said. The actual address is preceded by the word ที่อยู่ or tii-yuu, meaning address.

OK, thanks John. Would be easier as you say to wait until the tax is due, my licence runs out early next year and was not going to bother getting the address changed on it until it was renewed.<br>Possibily I might just do them all at the same time and save another trip down Soi 5 to see Immigration.<br>

Unless the Land transport office is operating out of my basement.. It IS my home address...

Hm, so you can read Thai so well? ;)

On my licence is the adress of the Department. But hey, TiT, they do it everywhere different maybe? Here on Phuket you get the adress of the Department on newer licence, so it was my mistake to think, it must be everywhere the same. :)

Phuket licenses.. Car and bike.. New style license.. Home address on back.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup it is. It's in very small Thai Text. Probably why I never noticed it before.

Thanks for the info.

OK, thanks John. Would be easier as you say to wait until the tax is due, my licence runs out early next year and was not going to bother getting the address changed on it until it was renewed.<br>Possibily I might just do them all at the same time and save another trip down Soi 5 to see Immigration.<br>

Remember that you'll need an original letter for each department, as the road tax is downstairs and the driving licence is upstairs. Only one application form and set of paperwork (passport photocopies, etc) for immigration, but one photo for each letter plus one extra for their records (plus 200 baht per letter!) - collect the next day.