Getting Credit Cards

In recent months I have applied for credit cards at the Thai Farmers Bank (or whatever its name it now) and the Siam Commercial Bank. I would seem to be a good credit risk...but I have heard nothing. They do not, it seems, even have the courtesy to send out rejection notices. Is this the way it is here? Does this have anything to do with the Nazi immigration rules that are supposed to be coming this summer? Any ideas? I would like some opinions. Thanks.

It's very difficult for a foreigner to get a credit card in Thailand. I've been refused three different times. And my credit rating is sterling, owned perhaps a dozen credit cards, used them extensively around the world, never late with a payment, high credit limits, etc.

Yet they'll give almost any Thai person a cc. Thaksin has even lowered the income and age requisites to encourage more credit card usage.

Apply at Bank of Asia. I didn't even have an account with them when I applied for my CC and got a gold card within 2 weeks with 100k limit. Before that I used Bangkok Bank but they refused to give me a CC, using excuses like "oh, we switched forms for CC application, you need to fill out a new one" etc. I subsequently switched all my banking in Thailand from Bangkok Bank to Bank of Asia

The only thing I am disappointed about with BOA is that I can not transfer to local bank accounts using their internet banking service. I can pay bills, transfer between my own accounts and make SWIFT payments worldwide etc but not transfer to another bank account within Thailand. Don't know why they left out that feature (esp since they support sending money out of the country online) but hopefully they will add that sometime soon.

BOA is owned by ABN Amro and behaves like a western bank, unlike the BBL etc where you need to be buddy with the branch manager or bribe someone to get anything done.

My expereince is that Amex has the best policy of welcoming new customers PROVIDED you have had another amex card somewhere else in the world. I transferred my card account from the UK with no trouble at all. You do though have to have a long term visa and work permit.

I have also arranged a local Citibank visa card but I much prefer the amex product. Citibank is not very western in its thinking here in my opinion.

Hope this helps

Looks like I'd better look into BOA. Everyone I know who has an account there has been impressed. I've had accounts at both SCB and BBL and neither would issue a credit card.

AMEX also said no, and the reason they gave was that I already had an AMEX card from another country! Quite the reverse of another poster's experience.