Getting To Udon Thani?

Dhamilton

Am going to need to go from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani, Was going to fly on nok -mini air but they stop that route on July 1. Anyone known how much a taxi would cost or of another way without riding on a large overcrowed bus? Thank You.

You could take the train from CM to Bangkok, then switch to the train from Bangkok to Udon Thani. Should take just a couple of days, but the price would be fairly cheap.

Another option is to rent a car and driver. We did that when we wanted to go from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai and see a few sights on the way. As I recall, it was less than 1500 baht per day plus the cost of fuel for the car.

You might want to go on the mini-bus that leaves Chiang Mai every evening around 7:00 bound for Nong Khai. I've not taken this bus before, so I don't know how close it comes to Udorn. Nonetheless, it will get you close, and should be more comfortable than the regular bus which makes many stops along the way. The cost is 1,050 baht one way, and they will pick you up at your place (in CM city proper). Contact Thai Great Travel Company along the north edge of the parking lot at DK Bookshop south of Ta Pae Gate. Phone 081-032-7325.

You might want to go on the mini-bus that leaves Chiang Mai every evening around 7:00 bound for Nong Khai. I've not taken this bus before, so I don't know how close it comes to Udorn. Nonetheless, it will get you close, and should be more comfortable than the regular bus which makes many stops along the way. The cost is 1,050 baht one way, and they will pick you up at your place (in CM city proper). Contact Thai Great Travel Company along the north edge of the parking lot at DK Bookshop south of Ta Pae Gate. Phone 081-032-7325.

Skip the agent near DK bookstore and just go straight to the ACTUALLY Agent/ Shuttle van/Mini -bus company - aYa Service. (the Great Travel Company cant answer all your questions without having to call aYa first anyways. So might as well cut out the "middle man")

They are right across from Chiangmai Railroad station on rot fay rd. Kinda hard to miss since they park all their vans at the Railroad parking area. lol ( I know this cause I went to that agent near DK and was picked up by aYa and taken all the way back to aYa's office for passport and ticket receipt check. Had I known this, I would have just gone to aYa and not have to waste 45 mins picking up everyone else and doubling back. I live close to aYa. -_-; )

I know they go to Nong Khai. I dont know if they have a van to Udon Thani. You wouldnt want them to take you as close as possible on that route. Cause Its still dark when you reach that area ( about 3 or 4 am) and they go around the fringe of Udon Thani ( Highway 210) Until they reach Highway 2 to Nong Khai. And its a waste of money to go all the way to Nong Khai and double back to Udon Thani. the VIP bus seems your best and cheapest option if aYa doesnt have a shuttle to Udon..