Gay Life In Thailand?

xenophanes

Jingthing: Post #16

Just go to the nearest haircut shop with a gay looking barber.

Anybody see a stereotype in that statement? rolleyes.gif

If he's GAY-LOOKING, does one need JT's enigmatic GAYDAR? rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Thou protesteth too much, JT. You said it. Can't get out of it. laugh.gif

Do blacks advertise they are "white acting" and looking only for "white acting blacks"? No, they don't.

There are many blacks who certainly are "white-acting" and look for only "white-acting" blacks. Of course, it's more of a cultural thing than a skin-color thing.

You're right, they don't "advertise it" that way because it's certainly not PC, akin to your original offensive "gay-looking" post.

Edited by Fookhaht

As a gay man attracted to straight-acting/looking gay Thais (and, gawd, there are so many of 'em here!.......

I couldn't help thinking how my first "relationship" here was with the opposite: a gay-acting/looking straight Thai!! (and there arequite a few of those too!) ......

Thou protesteth too much, JT. .. laugh.gif

Nothing new there (although the flouncing off in a tiff is becoming a little commonplace).

Presumably JT hasn't heard of the term "very white of you", and the like - they are post dark ages, after all, so that can hardly be a surprise.

Hi, it is not important if it's a gay (acting straight) or straight (acting gay) relationship (or any of these 4 combinations).

Probably, it's very important if you are able to take care .....

Like your sig says, Be Yourself. Why would gays want to act straight? Maybe they think something is wrong with being gay?

Edited by Jingthing

Hi, it is not important if it's a gay (acting straight) or straight (acting gay) relationship (or any of these 4 combinations).

Like your sig says, Be Yourself. Why would gays want to act straight? Maybe they think something is wrong with being gay?

Why would gays want to act gay - whatever that means?

Maybe it would be simpler if "acting" was changed to "appearing", as many gays may appear to be straight (or be taken for misogynists) unless they are with their partner, while a number of straights (probably not quite as many) may appear to be gay or to display some "fem" characteristics.

As far as as Thai men are concerned aren't about 50% of them gay already, whether they appear that way oe not, and aren't the other 50% just about 4 beers away from being gay? I'm joking (kinda) of course, but is there a gayer place on the planet? I don't think so.

As far as as Thai men are concerned aren't about 50% of them gay already, whether they appear that way oe not, and aren't the other 50% just about 4 beers away from being gay? I'm joking (kinda) of course, but is there a gayer place on the planet? I don't think so.

Yeah here it doesn't take a six pack of beer, all you need is a picture of one beer, and you're off to the races. Just joking. Is there a gayer place on the planet? Hmmmm. I don't know but if there is, let me know.

Act straight? I am usually being mistaken for being straight, so am I at fault?

Unless you have specific statistics about Thailand, I'd say that 50% of all men are (or would like to be but can't because of their countries' morals) MSM. I don't think the percentage of "real" gays is higher in Thailand than in any other country, but here any man can live out their phantasy.

Not at all. Maybe this is a cultural thing but in the USA when someone says the are "straight acting/straight appearing" and demanding the same they are often suspected of having some degree of internalized homophobia. Ideally, people should feel free enough to be/act/feel like whatever feels like who they are. If you are mistaken for straight (most of us are including me of course) so what, that's you. However, if you are putting a lot of effort into acting/appearing contrary to how you feel inside, some of us feel that is not ideal.

Edited by Jingthing

I have said all I am going to say on this trivial matter. May I humbly suggest that you try out your games on someone who wants to play with you.

Change of topic, are people interested in a new thread to discuss the term straight acting (as it was introduced here)? I am one of those people who think its kind of offensive and an indicator of internalized homophobia when people use the term to describe themselves or what they are looking for. Do blacks advertise they are "white acting" and looking only for "white acting blacks"? No, they don't. Anyway, if there is interest in this, someone start a thread please or express interest to me and I will. If no interest is expressed, I won't bother. Thanks.

Yes, I'd be interested in that thread.

Not at all. Maybe this is a cultural thing but in the USA when someone says the are "straight acting/straight appearing" and demanding the same they are often suspected of having some degree of internalized homophobia. Ideally, people should feel free enough to be/act/feel like whatever feels like who they are. If you are mistaken for straight (most of us are including me of course) so what, that's you. However, if you are putting a lot of effort into acting/appearing contrary to how you feel inside, some of us feel that is not ideal.

OK, this is stuff for the new thread you are opening, right?

No, I won't be opening such a thread. I am not sure there is much interest and I have started enough controversial gay forum threads recently. Cheers.

Au contraire, I'd support it 100%.

Someone else start that thread if you want it. I am attracting too much negative attention here (including a few snipers), I want a break.

Edited by Jingthing

Takes two to play, JT- you do like to have the last word, you know... :P

Seems like this thread HAS gone off topic- to remind everyone, it's supposed to be about gay life in Thailand (presumably outside the main cities). Yup, it's there. And there are also all manner of people across the spectrum to meet, looking, acting, dressing every-which-way.

Takes two to play, JT- you do like to have the last word, you know... :P

Seems like this thread HAS gone off topic- to remind everyone, it's supposed to be about gay life in Thailand (presumably outside the main cities). Yup, it's there. And there are also all manner of people across the spectrum to meet, looking, acting, dressing every-which-way.

I FAN Q!

• 2 weeks later...

That's why IGNORE-ance is bliss. Again, if someone cares enough about that topic to start it, I am sure I will post there. Otherwise, let it be, peace brothers.

True to IJWT's analysis, JT throws out the last word! laugh.gif