Tourists Warned Not To Feed Bangkok's Street Elephants

webfact

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

August last year the governor oF Bkk WAS REPORTED THUS: - - "SukhumbhandParibatra" Governor of Bkk If street elephants remain in Bangkok after next summer, the Governor promised, "then I'll personally ride them out of Bangkok myself." …

....so is the governor serious about this?

apparently there are still elephants in Bkk

Is he getting ready to ride a few elephants?

i wonder where he's going to ride them?

Edited by Deeral

As the title of this post is 'tourists warned not to feed Bkks street elephants" and will be fined 10K if they do. As a matter of interest will locals be fined the same amount if caught feeding elephants or is it OK for Thais to feed the elephants?? - This couldn't be another double standard could it??

As the title of this post is 'tourists warned not to feed Bkks street elephants" and will be fined 10K if they do. As a matter of interest will locals be fined the same amount if caught feeding elephants or is it OK for Thais to feed the elephants?? - This couldn't be another double standard could it??

Probably along the same lines as the cigarette butt fine of 2000 bt for foreigners and 0 bt for Thais.

Finally , some-one got my point , tourists are being singled out to pay a fine for feeding elephants according to the post headline , not even the Mahout gets a mention and he is the instigator of the problem .

I think the easiest way to take care of this is that any elephants that are caught in Bangkok city limits will automatically be confiscated and taken to a sanctuary. Do it to a few mahouts and that would be the end of that.

OK - so who pays for this?

sanctuaries - which are by no means all good establishments - are usually charities and require constant donations to keep going.

THe elephants have OWNERS - who are reluctant to lose the income they get from RENTING these animals to the people who are jokingly referred to as mahouts.

I'm sure there would be legal ramifications if the "authorities" - in this case BMA just walked it and took someones property and business off their hands and gave it to someone else.

Edited by Deeral

I haven't seen any elephants in tourist areas in the last year but if I do I will surely call 1150 to order them a pizza so the mahouts and changs don't have to worry about going hungry.

Interestingly, someone did a study a few years back about the number 1 thing tourists wanted to see in thailand and guess what came up first?

People...and tourists...luv elephants. Now we can get a 10000baht fine for helping keep them alive. That sucks! :angry:

if you really love elephants u should do your part to protect them and ensure that they can live where they belong to.

There are parks in Thailand where they can live in a naturally perfect environment and not on streets where they suffer from many diseases, often treated badly.

there should be a fine for bringing elephants onto public highways..

I haven't seen any elephants in tourist areas in the last year but if I do I will surely call 1150 to order them a pizza so the mahouts and changs don't have to worry about going hungry.

Interestingly, someone did a study a few years back about the number 1 thing tourists wanted to see in thailand and guess what came up first?

LADYBOYS

LADYBOYS

Wrong.

Like UK & Bukingham Palace; the number 1 thing tourists wanted to see in Thailand is the Grand Palace. Magnificant isn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Palace