Opening Bank Account Or Wire Money From Your Bank

lanky

:rolleyes:

Don't know what nationality you are, nor do have any specific info about Chiang Mai, but I use Bangkok Bank. The reason is that Bangkok Bank has a branch in New York. If you can open a bank account in Bangkok Bank in Thailand you can then send your money from a U.S. bank via SWIFT transfer to Bangkok Bank New York. Make arrangement with your U.S bank for monthly transfer of funds (will probably require you to sign some forms for a monthly xfer approval). Once you're approved for monthly transfer, a email to your U.S bank starts the process. My bank charges $30 for wire xfer/bank service charge in U.S. I start it by email to my U.S. bank with my account number and my pre-approved monthly repetitive account transfer number. From then on U.S. bank sends to Bangkok Bank, New York. BKK Bank N.Y. then credits the funds to my Thai BKK bank (My Thai wife/my joint account in Bangkok). About 3 working days (over weekends/Thai holidays - add two days processing time) and the funds are available in BKK in my Bangkok Bank joint account for ATM withdrawal. I do a transfer about once a month for funds for my Thai family. I've been doing this for years, and it works well. Does cost $30 on the U.S end for wire/service charge...but it is quick and painless. U.S. funds are converted at daily spot rate for Dollar to Baht...whatever the rate is in Bangkok for on the day the fund transfer is credited by Bangkok Bank in Bangkok. No bank charges at Thai end.

Now I know Bangkok Bank (well all Thai banks) may insist of a work permit/business visa before you can open account as a foriegner in Thailand. If one branch of Bangkok Bank says no to you opening a bank account with tourist visa, just leave and try another branch of same bank. In Bangkok there are at least a dozen branches of Bangkok Bank. If one branch says no, keep trying. You may find a branch more friendly or more eager to get your money. Also the more you funds you have to open the account, the more likely a branch is to say yes to opening an account on a tourist visa. If you try to open an account with $100 they may say no. If that amount is $5,000 they may suddenly be more co-operative. So the more funds you have to start the account, the more co-operation you usuually get. Just keep trying. Once the Thai account is open, you can withdraw most of the funds. It's that original opening amount that sparks their interest.

Of course if you are not an American, this might be useless info...because I don't know if you can do a transfer to Bangkok Bank in New York from outside the U.S.

:blink:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

The only bank that agreed to open an account for me was Bangkok Bank in Kad Suan Kaew shopping mall. All other banks demanded some extra documents, such as Work Permitt and something else. For Bankok Bank my Non-Imm ED visa was enough, and it took about 10 minutes to open an account and get a Visa Electron debit card!! Really fast and convenient. I remember paying 300 baht for the card.

Cheers!

I opened an account with Kasikorn Bank on a non-o tourist visa and a copy of my rental agreement. I was in and out with my visa electron card in about 15 min. possibly would have been quicker had i not also set up internet banking as well to allow me to get a web card which means i can also shop on-line as well.

My suggestion would be to get as much information as you can i.e. passport, rental agreement - longstay hotel details etc etc and just walk into whichever branch is the best for you and ask them.

The worst that can happen is that they say no!