Beware Of Dengue Fever

tig28

The Thailand Live news clippings - for today - leads off with a release which is dangerously misleading.

"Residents in Nakhon Ratchasima warned of dengue fever

NAKHON RATCHASIMA (NNT) -- The Nakhon Ratchasima Provincial Public Health Office has warned local residents of the

prevalence of dengue fever with over 1,000 infected patients and 3 fatalities so far.

According to the latest report, more than 1,000 people in Nakhon Ratchasima province have been infected with dengue

fever, 3 of whom have succumbed to the disease. Over 300 of the total patients were reported in June alone.

MD Varunyu Sattayawongtip, medical service officer of the Nakhon Ratchasima Provincial Public Health Office, stated that

public health officials in all 32 districts of the province had already been tasked with educating the locals on how to protect

themselves from the disease. All stagnant waters in the area, which could serve as mosquito breeding grounds, are also

being sprayed with larvicide on a continuous basis.

As reported by the Bureau of Epidemiology, 4,000 people living in the lower northeastern part of Thailand, such as Nakhon

Ratchasima, Chaiyaphum, Buri Ram and Surin provinces, have been infected with dengue fever while 4 of them have died."

Long established methods of reducing the instances of this dangerous disease have proven extremely effective in tropical Australia. There ia a "magic bullet" against Dengue ---- the number one weapon against this disease is the elimination of the breeding sites of the vector mosquito ----- Aedes (3 sub-species). It is extremely selective in its choice of breeding site.

These mosquito do not breed in stagnant water. These mosquito do not breed in swamps. If the information on which this article is based is accurate :

"All stagnant waters in the area, which could serve as mosquito breeding grounds, are also

being sprayed with larvicide on a continuous basis." .:wacko:

Then they are totally wasting their time ...... doing damage when not nessicary ------ and probably ignoring all the effective steps that should be in place to help control the spread of Dengue.

If those who ordered the spraying of stagnant waters are the same -----

"public health officials in all 32 districts of the province had already been tasked with educating the locals on how to protect themselves from the disease".---- then I hold out little hope of anything effective being done.

Here is some accurate and critical information to protect yourself and your family.

( taken from the QLD Gov. website --http://www.health.qld.gov.au/dengue/reduce_risk/advice_residents.asp)

'Stop the mosquito breeding

and you can stop the disease'

Dengue mosquitoes breed in containers that hold water, including:

• buckets
  • old tyres
  • tarpaulins and black plastic
  • pot plant bases
  • vases
  • boats
  • tin cans and plastic containers
  • roof guttering
  • rainwater tanks with damaged or missing screens
  • birdbaths
  • striking containers (to grow plant cuttings)
  • drain sumps
  • fallen palm fronds
  • coconut shells.

There is one other thing to concider ---- If you are bitten in you home it is almost certain that the mosquito was born on your property -- or that of your near neighbours!!! This mosquito almost never travells more than 100m from its breeding site.

Almost any small fish will eliminate the eggs or larvae of mosquito. Clearing the trash that holds small ammounts of water is also essencial. Thais are wise to this strategy, you will almost always see bplah jet see "guppies" in any standing water feature. One thing to be aware of is bromeliad plants, they often hold just enough water to raise mosquitos.

Dengue mosquitoes breed in containers that hold water, including:

buckets

old tyres

tarpaulins and black plastic

pot plant bases

vases

boats

tin cans and plastic containers

roof guttering

rainwater tanks with damaged or missing screens

birdbaths

striking containers (to grow plant cuttings)

drain sumps

fallen palm fronds

coconut shells.

In other words, "stagnant water", right?  :unsure:

My local government in Rawai Phuket, came around this morning with an information and a packet of vactor to put in any standing water. We have lotus flower plants in cement water ponds, but they are full of fish that eat mosquito larvae. My GF has some plant cutting and such out side as well so she put the chemical in those containers. There are quite a few cases of Dengue here as well, but they are at least going around and making all the Thai's aware of the problem. and providing information and chemicals to every house in town.

Edited by Jimi007

Any water that does not flow is stagnant, U R correct.

Oh boy --- some mothers do heve'm !!

I certainly don't want to play dictionaries with you two... but if you are seriously suggesting that all motionless water is stagnant ....... then I suggest you are idealy suited to be out helping the "public health officials" with their spraying program.:unsure:

"Stagnant" .. when referring to water .... has several other qualities attached that are accepted in nornal usage .... by normal people.:blink:

Anyway ... thanks for pointing out the error of my ways .... the point I am attempting to make is that the Aedes mosquito is very discerning in his/her chioce of water in which to breed.

Unless it is of (virtually) pottable quallity -- they wont lay eggs in it.

Who was it who said "Life wasn't meant to be easy"? Is he a member of TV?

Would it not be pertinant to educate Thai , that it is far less labour intensive to place trash in appropriate containers to be disposed of , rather than to simply discard it where ever when they feel it is no longer needed ? That way they could spend more time playing cards and being generally sanook with far less chance of being infected with dengue fever .

There is stagnant water , and then there is STAGNANT water , people seem not to think of water in small containers as being stagnant , especialy in and around thier own homes .

Any water that does not flow is stagnant, U R correct.

Oh boy --- some mothers do heve'm !!

I certainly don't want to play dictionaries with you two... but if you are seriously suggesting that all motionless water is stagnant ....... then I suggest you are idealy suited to be out helping the "public health officials" with their spraying program.:unsure:

"Stagnant" .. when referring to water .... has several other qualities attached that are accepted in nornal usage .... by normal people.:blink:

Anyway ... thanks for pointing out the error of my ways .... the point I am attempting to make is that the Aedes mosquito is very discerning in his/her chioce of water in which to breed.

Unless it is of (virtually) pottable quallity -- they wont lay eggs in it.

Who was it who said "Life wasn't meant to be easy"? Is he a member of TV?

Sorry, but you started out saying what nonsense it is that Thai authorities tell everyone that these mosquitoes breed in stagnant water and then you provide a list of containers of stagnant water as places where they breed - just trying make sense of your post. :blink:

'tig28' date='2010-07-17 21:13' timestamp='1279375982' post='3755401']

These mosquito do not breed in stagnant water.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Sorry, but you started out saying what nonsense it is that Thai authorities tell everyone that these mosquitoes breed in stagnant water and then you provide a list of containers of stagnant water as places where they breed - just trying make sense of your post. :blink:

Hi Ulysses G.

No problem old mate.

If you check the link I posted you shall see that the "stagnant" description was actually a cut & paste from the Gov. website. I assume they are trying to highlight that these blighters dont breed in swamps etc. as most people assume.

The real point is that many imagine this Ades E. (Dengue) mosquito breeds in the same places as the common mosquito .......... and that is very wrong. They breed (very) near people --- and almost exclusivly in structures that are man made.

All the best.

I'm with the Gecko Guy on this one...stagnant water is water that is not moving and calm. I seriously doubt that these mosquitoes breed ONLY in man made vessels. They may take advantage of the frequency and availability of these man caused receptacles but I have seen no evidence of them not breeding in stagnant pond scum. swampy airports, etc. Perhaps the Thai Government should put more focus on the man caused places but also the other still waters should be addressed as well.

Edited by bunta71

I've seen mosquito larvae in a puddle. They breed anywhere there is water that is not flowing (ie stagnant. And tbh, most of the Thais I know are well aware what those little wiggly things are in the water.

Most people use the little guppy fish in their ponds and big jars of water. The fish generally become quite adept at avoiding the water scoop.

The real problem are those places that hold enough water that mozzies can breed but aren't noticed by people.

I've seen mosquito larvae in a puddle. They breed anywhere there is water that is not flowing (ie stagnant. And tbh, most of the Thais I know are well aware what those little wiggly things are in the water.

Most people use the little guppy fish in their ponds and big jars of water. The fish generally become quite adept at avoiding the water scoop.

The real problem are those places that hold enough water that mozzies can breed but aren't noticed by people.

What like the rice paddies?:)

Ok... so the intention is to get rid of the mosquito.... it brings both Malaria and Dengue fever..maybe history can help.

I lived for 18 years in a town in Africa.... previously it had been a deathbed for workers in the local mines due to Malaria and Blackwater Fever

Have a look at this paper.. albeit academic it shows the amazing difference a real program can make..

It quotes the story of how Luanshya Town was rendered almost almost free from Malaria by a series of programmes between 1929 and 1949 and the effect it had on the mortality rate. (Within 3-5 years, malaria related mortality, morbidity and incidence rates were reduced by 70-95%.)

Tables start on page 24 with a map of Luanshya and its' watercourses following.

It is all a bit dry as befitting its' purpose but quite a fascinating document. Worth wading through.

And applicable here in Thailand just as it was in darkest Africa

http://weblamp.princeton.edu/~chw/papers/malaria.pdf

I'm with the Gecko Guy on this one...stagnant water is water that is not moving and calm. I seriously doubt that these mosquitoes breed ONLY in man made vessels. They may take advantage of the frequency and availability of these man caused receptacles but I have seen no evidence of them not breeding in stagnant pond scum. swampy airports, etc. Perhaps the Thai Government should put more focus on the man caused places but also the other still waters should be addressed as well.

Hi bunta

The fact that you (along with far too many others) doubt that these mosquito breed only in manmade vessels --- is the primary reason I shall keep on with this.

Please have a quick look at this from the World Health Org.

They state:

"Dengue mosquitoes breed in stored, exposed water collections. Favoured places for breeding are barrels, drums, jars, pots, buckets, flower vases, plant saucers, tanks, discarded bottles, tins, tyres, water coolers etc".

And just one more from the Australian Govt.

They state:

"The dengue mosquito is sometimes dubbed the 'cockroach of mosquitoes' because it is truly domesticated and prefers to live in and around people's homes. It does NOT breed in swamps or drains."

They do not breed in swamps (as do most other mosqoitos) --- interesting no? So my friend any mosquito wrigglers you have seen in swamps or drains are NOT Dengue wrigglers --- they dont breed there!!

And to keep on with this -- no!! -- the authorities should most definitly not address "other still waters" if they wish to combat Dengue. They would be wasting their time and money and have no effect on the Dengue mosquito whatsoever!!

"stagnant water is water that is not moving and calm" --- Oh.... come off it!! The rainwater stored in my tanks is "not moving and calm" --- and it sure is not stagnant.

The term 'stagnant' is not the issue here.

These mozzies are obviously quite particular about their breeding ground. Perhaps it's to do with 'competition'? I don't know.

What I do know is that they do not breed in large bodies of water likes swamps, rice paddies, rivers etc.

I saw a documentary a few years back in which Australian experts conducted an experiment (in Queensland) in order to find out the distance these mozzies can travel. As the OP said, a majority of the mozzies travelled only within 100m of their breeding site. A minority of mozzies travelled up to 400m from their breeding site. The experts also indicated that wind (& other means) could allow the mozzies to travel further than 400m.

I live on the 12th floor in a condo block. Somebody once asked me how mozzies could possibly reach the 17th floor. My answer was, "The lift (elevator) & wind". They only asked me because they had been bitten by mozzies & they lived on the 17th floor. Once mozzies reach these high altitudes, many opportunities are available for them to breed. E.g. Open drains, ashtrays that fill with water after rain etc, which are exposed to the weather, as in my condo block.

I've suffered Dengue Fever once & never wish to endure it again.

The argument about stagnant water is null. It's all about small(er) quantities of 'still' water.

Ok... so the intention is to get rid of the mosquito.... it brings both Malaria and Dengue fever..maybe history can help.

I lived for 18 years in a town in Africa.... previously it had been a deathbed for workers in the local mines due to Malaria and Blackwater Fever

Have a look at this paper.. albeit academic it shows the amazing difference a real program can make..

It quotes the story of how Luanshya Town was rendered almost almost free from Malaria by a series of programmes between 1929 and 1949 and the effect it had on the mortality rate. (Within 3-5 years, malaria related mortality, morbidity and incidence rates were reduced by 70-95%.)

It is all a bit dry as befitting its' purpose but quite a fascinating document. Worth wading through.

http://weblamp.princ...ers/malaria.pdf

Thanks for that tolsti-- I shall read all of it later.

Please remember that the Malaria mosquito ( Anopheles) does not carry Dengue and has an entirley different life-pattern to the Dengue mosquito.

The control measures that have proven effective against this mosquito are largly (totally?) ineffective against the Dengue mosquito (Aedes...) (which does not carry Malaria) --- as they each generally live and rest in different places--- they certainly breed in different places -- and they bite at different times of the day.

The Dengue mosquito requires a completly different aproach to control. The good news is that this control is actully far easier to achieve --- because of this different life-pattern.

I have one last thought -- which I hope some shall take on board.

If you are bitten in your home -- it is almost certain that the Dengue mosquito was born on your property -- or that of your immediate neighbours !! Think about it.

Hi bunta

The fact that you (along with far too many others) doubt that these mosquito breed only in manmade vessels --- is the primary reason I shall keep on with this.

Please have a quick look at this from the World Health Org.http://www.searo.who...Section2276.htm

They state:

"Dengue mosquitoes breed in stored, exposed water collections. Favoured places for breeding are barrels, drums, jars, pots, buckets, flower vases, plant saucers, tanks, discarded bottles, tins, tyres, water coolers etc".

And just one more from the Australian Govt.

http://www.health.ql...sp#whereitlives

They state:

"The dengue mosquito is sometimes dubbed the 'cockroach of mosquitoes' because it is truly domesticated and prefers to live in and around people's homes. It does NOT breed in swamps or drains."

They do not breed in swamps (as do most other mosqoitos) --- interesting no? So my friend any mosquito wrigglers you have seen in swamps or drains are NOT Dengue wrigglers --- they dont breed there!!

And to keep on with this -- no!! -- the authorities should most definitly not address "other still waters" if they wish to combat Dengue. They would be wasting their time and money and have no effect on the Dengue mosquito whatsoever!!

"stagnant water is water that is not moving and calm" --- Oh.... come off it!! The rainwater stored in my tanks is "not moving and calm" --- and it sure is not stagnant.

Feel free to reinvent the English language, if you object to having stagnant water in the tank. The info you cite is practical for the control of this type of mosquito however not completely accurate. The striped leg critter in question is not "truly domesticated", it can and does exist in nature and can easily breed in natural features. As with all mosquito species the larvae are a choice food for many other animals, larval forgs and newts, dragon fly nymphs, mayfles nymphs and fish. This being the case, the larvae that stand the best chance of reaching maturity ane laid in bodies of water too small to support the predators. The eggs laid in swamps are quickly eaten, that is why you won't often see the wigglers there. The mosquito that carries dengue must first bite an infected human to carry the virus. You can be bitten thousands of times and not get sick if there are no degue cases nearby so keeping infected patients under a net is part of a control strategy.

http://weblamp.princeton.edu/~chw/papers/malaria.pdf

The big problem here though is with time people forget, they have short memories and then start leaving stagnant water around, its the same with war and almost anything else. It requires thought and future planning education.............. Thailand????

OMG don't tell the Thais.  Every house has big pots to hold rainwater.  How could you eliminate these?  No way.

Local council here have just made it a requirement all Thai jars have mosquito netting covering them.

Real paranoia here right now about yeung. Sister popped round to my place and inspected the mozzy net in my room, found a big hole in it caused by a disagreement with the floor fan and immediately replaced it with a new one.

OMG don't tell the Thais. Every house has big pots to hold rainwater. How could you eliminate these? No way.

Water in rain catchment containers is like to not be stagnant as it is disturbed by new rainfall and using the water.

These mosquitos, all mosquitos DO breed in stagnant water, i. e. water that is not moving and has not moved for days, like in coconut husks, unused buckets, tires etc.

What I have found with my personal experience with the disease is that even the best hospital in Phuket was unaware that Caucasians and Asians react differently. I had intermittant fever which led the Dr to believe it was not Dengue, but it was ( And I was hemorraging too)

The local Health Department actually walked through property and homes around Wat Pong Noi not far from Chiang Mai University last year looking for containers of water and other sources. We had a vase of bamboo in the house and sure enough, it had mosquito larvae in it. Any little bit of water seems enough, and the outdoor bathroom vats are especially problematic. We've known two people that have come down with Dengue in the last three months. Getting rid of the breeding location is the right thing to do.