Stocking Rates

mellow1

As i'm always doing earthern ponds, stocking rate is 15-20 fishes/m3 for a 800m2, depth of 1.3 - 1.5m.....15'000-20'000 depends on water level and season's market for big or smaller fishes, meaning if season's market need smaller size fishes i'll do 20'000, bigger size then 15'000, my 3 concrete tanks serve as holding purposes only during pond clearing, (L-2.8 x B-1.6 x H-1.2m) each can hold about 250-280kg of adult fishes, mixed size of 3,4,5,6 fishes per kg.Villagers here will do 25-30'000 in 800m2 ponds at depth 1m-1.2m, advised them about disadvantages of high stocking rate like rearing period and space...they won't listen until problems araise like diseases and slower growth.

As i'm always doing earthern ponds, stocking rate is 15-20 fishes/m3 for a 800m2, depth of 1.3 - 1.5m.....15'000-20'000 depends on water level and season's market for big or smaller fishes, meaning if season's market need smaller size fishes i'll do 20'000, bigger size then 15'000, my 3 concrete tanks serve as holding purposes only during pond clearing, (L-2.8 x B-1.6 x H-1.2m) each can hold about 250-280kg of adult fishes, mixed size of 3,4,5,6 fishes per kg.Villagers here will do 25-30'000 in 800m2 ponds at depth 1m-1.2m, advised them about disadvantages of high stocking rate like rearing period and space...they won't listen until problems araise like diseases and slower growth.

My wife is currently experimenting with that. She is transferring many of her smaller fishes to larger holding tanks, and cutting down on stocking rates to increase growth, before being transfered to the smaller, ready for market tanks.

Oh man ! your wife is an asset ! If anything happens, loose the fishes, don't loose her !

She has been an asset from the beginning, now going for 15 years. Hopping the fishes become a good asset for her.