Big Trouble ? With Reiirement Visa In Chiang Mai

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This saga sounds as if it is ending on a satisfactory note and I wish the OP well as he awaits the 60-days to get his new retirement extension of stay.

I just received my 6th annual extension of stay from CNX last week...painlessly. However my U.S. passport is approaching full with little room to place additional entry and departure stamps (I travel outside of Thailand often on business) (and I also have a valid Extensionof Stay and Multiple Re-entry Permit good through 31 Aug 2011). This passport cannot be appended with additional pages (I have already received the maximum of two inserts). It doesn't expire until 19 Dec 2011, but I will probably need to get a new one with ample empty pages before my annual Thai extension of stay expires next August 31st.

Here are my questions: I plan to apply for a new passport late this year during a lull in my business travel. After I have obtained the new passport from the US Consulate here in CNX, I plan to take my expired passport and the new one to Immigration here and ask for the annual Extension of Stay and Re-entry Permit to be transferred to the new passport. I understand this is a free service and is fairly commonplace. Can someone in the know explain to me exactly what documents I will need to bring along with me?

1. Old passport

2. New passport

3. Any required TM forms and which ones? Photographs needed?

4. Will I need a new embassy income letter?

5. Are there any other 'catches' that I need to be mindful of?

and...

6. When I come in next August for my annual Extension of Stay and Re-entry Permit, must I also bring both passports or will the new one alone be sufficient?

I have never had any difficulties with CNX Immigration and certainly wish to keep it that way. From what I have experienced over these past 6 years, I have a hard time believing anything corrupt, or even incomptent is occuring there. But I continually see snippy behavior and disheveled or even disrespectful manner of dress in many foreigners visiting the office and am always a bit shocked at that. It can't help but leave negative impressions that affect all of us.

I appreciate the new office procedure and lay-out at CNX. Like the OP, I too was seen by a female officer specializing in annual extensions and she was extremely efficient and helpful. She exchanged phone numbers with my Thai wife and I could see they were getting on well. Nonetheless, I could easily be seen by somebody else when I go in with my new passport and want to play by the book. Your advice on all of this is sincerely appreciated.

Edited by Fore Man

The tranfer is indeed free. Bring:

Old passport

New passport

copy of old passport will all relevant pages (ID page and pages with visa's)

letter from your embassy asking for transfer to new passport

Immigration form: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/transferstamp.doc

No need for new income letter

On your next extension you only bring the new passport.

You will also need normal photo copies of old passport/visa/extension of stay/re-entry stamp/departure card I believe plus new passport data page. There is a simple form that will be supplied to fill out.

As long as full transfer of stamps has been made to new passport that should be all you need for next extension of stay but I would have the old passport in my pocket.