Buying A Motorbike In A Different Province

chris5346

hello,

i'm thinking of buying a bike in a different province but i don't know if i can transfer the registration and re-locate the bike properly ?

my thai gf says that we have to change the registration in the province that it's brought in and it's ok if her thai i.d card has an address in a different province - she says that everyyear for the tax we would have to go back to that same province it was brought in, which isn't convenient - can we take the book to the transport office in our province and re-register it here ? maybe they issue a different number plate or something ?

what are my options ?

thank you,

chris

can we take the book to the transport office in our province and re-register it here ? maybe they issue a different number plate or something ?

Take the book & bike to your local friendly LTO?.....Yes

Reregister the bike?.................................Yes

Get other plates.....................................Yes

Keep the same registration book......................Yes.

hi,

should i change the name in udon thani first to be on the safe side or can i just bring the bike and papers to chiang mai and change everything in chiang mai ?

the current owner is prepared to goto the transport office in udon to make sure the name gets changed but he wont come to chiang mai.

also is there a time limit on him signing the release paper and us changing the name in either udon or chiang mai ?

if i get a residence certificate here in chiang mai would i be able to use that in udon ? because i'd prefer to put it in my name if poss.

i'm currently on a tourist visa and i have read conflicting stories about being able to register a bike or not ?

also i maybe changing my visa in a months time so maybe can put it in my name.

when the seller fills in the release paper does the new owner get written also ?

many thanks,

chris

I bought a bike in Chiang Mai a few months back and went to their DLT with my BKK residence letter.

I got my green book revised in a day and even kept the CM plates.

I was told I could have ordered BKK plates there in CM but would have to wait for them to show up later in BKK.

Just bring all your needed paperwork to CM and transfer it there.

I'm on a ED visa but imagine its the same process for you.

Edited by ttakata

Well, just make sure you get all ducks in a row (complete set of forms signed and authorized). For a similar task, we hired a company. Months later, they now want a Residence Letter from the farang seller. His passport and copy of his VISUM are not acceptable :blink: Try to get it sorted properly to avoid hassle later on. Good luck!

Chris

thanks guys,

i will have to change it where we buy it to be on safe side, don't want problem in the future.

can always change it again in the future.

i'll try and get a residence certificate first.

many thanks,

appreciated,

chris

• 4 months later...

That sort of answered my question although I was just contemplating

registering the same bike I currently own in a different province.

It sounded up there like they want to reissue you different plates for the bike? I wonder if that's correct?

And you have to show a residence permit that you now live in the new province?

That sort of answered my question although I was just contemplating

registering the same bike I currently own in a different province.

It sounded up there like they want to reissue you different plates for the bike? I wonder if that's correct?

And you have to show a residence permit that you now live in the new province?

If you move from one province to another, you are supposed to require your new local DLT for new plate and new adress in book. Apply for transfer first, come back one week later inspect bike and get new plate and change in book

Certificate of Residence is required, can be issued by Immigration or your embassy

If you dont desire the new province plate, I wouldnt bother :)

my thai gf says that we have to change the registration in the province that it's brought in and it's ok if her thai i.d card has an address in a different province

if its a cheap scooter and u are happy for her to be the owner go ahead otherwise put it in your name

having done the buy from another province myself (udon thani )and taking it to CM heres the lowdown

take your passport,immigration certificate and proof of where u are living (get a letter from the reception at your condo and take their brochure too) to the udon bike reg office along with the bike and the farang u are buying from (he should also take his passport and immigration cert )............they will change the greenbook (took an hour for me) into your name...........when u get back home take the bike and the above paperwork and greenbook to the local chiang mai office and they will change the number plate to a CM plate for u..............oh and yes a CM residence certificate will be fine for the udon office

You can do it both ways..

1) buy the bike in the current province using an out of plate name. Then move the plate to the new changwat.

2) move the bike to the new province doing the change.

Either way your supposed to move the plate.. Can make problems / delay a sale if you dont.

Bangkok plates I understand are special and can remain bkk plates ?? Only been told this never tried it.

• Like 1