Two Days In Pak Chong: What To Do?

singa-traz

I'm going for two days around Pak Chong and I'm running out of ideas on what to do there.

It's not the first time we go there, so looking for something new to visit.

Any suggestion on what to see, to visit and recommended place where to eat.

Thanks

I assume you have done the National park Tour. There is a bat cave and another cave at a monastary were they filmed a movie years ago they didn't remove the props.

If its still in business the riverside restarurant, its hard to find go past bus station, sorry it has been a while since I was there. If you go toward Korat there is a lake about 30 k outside of town with food stalls and they have great roasted fish.

Lots of things to .. depend on what sort of activities you enjoy.

Chokchai Farm, PB Valley, Granmonte, Palio, Rex's Steak, Walk the night market, Play pool at Panther Creek, Go to them temples (many nice ones with great view) -- Suggest one near PB Valley

Or you can choose to do the outdoor activities like trekking, bunjy jumping, BB guns, ATV -- spending a night camping in the national park is also fun (suggest that you try this in winter)

Have a nice trip.

There is an excellent Thai restaurant a few 100m past the Landmark hotel direction away from town same side street, lots of wood, plants, nice place. In fact the best Thai food I had in Thailand. Will probably spend a night at the Landmark next week only to have dinner at that place.

• 2 weeks later...

Chokchai Farm, PB Valley, Granmonte,

Is Chokchai farm very good? We stopped at the car park last week but the admission was a staggering 250 Baht each. I wouldn't mind too much if it wasn't a commercial business enterprise trying to promote its products anyway!

Actually the National Park is (up to) 600 THB for foreigners. We boycotted that too - a complete scam I think.

What a misery guts I am... 555

There is an excellent Thai restaurant a few 100m past the Landmark hotel direction away from town same side street, lots of wood, plants, nice place. In fact the best Thai food I had in Thailand. Will probably spend a night at the Landmark next week only to have dinner at that place.

It's called เรือนไทย Reuuan Tai, 'Thai House'

Had a meal there the other night before the 'Marijuana' concert.

Five adults, five good dishes, rice, 1 large beer, 1 large pepsi, water, 800bht.

Menu in english and thai but my first four choices were not available, even the fried frog was off the menu, although I could barely hear her "mai mii" reply above the chorus of frogs croaking merrily away in the ponds behind us.

Have a wander around the back part, interesting 'old thai' ornaments on show.

We'll definately eat there again.

A few KM from Pak Chong (around 50/60 km), there is a nice museum to visit that I recommend.

Northeastern Research Institute of Petrified Wood and Mineral Resources"

http://www.khoratfossil.org

A nice place to visit with the family.

PS:

If you ask nicely and show your driving license you will get the Thai Price (50 THB / 100 THB)

Is Chokchai farm very good? We stopped at the car park last week but the admission was a staggering 250 Baht each. I wouldn't mind too much if it wasn't a commercial business enterprise trying to promote its products anyway!

Actually the National Park is (up to) 600 THB for foreigners. We boycotted that too - a complete scam I think.

Which National Park is 600 baht?

Khao Yai N.P. is B400 for farangs and B20 for Thais. :angry:

I know Khao Yai is 400 as I was there last Thurs and Fri (though entry is free on hols so the only thing I paid was some leeches with some blood) but I am wondering which Nat Park sambai paid 600 baht to enter?

I know Khao Yai is 400 as I was there last Thurs and Fri (though entry is free on hols so the only thing I paid was some leeches with some blood) but I am wondering which Nat Park sambai paid 600 baht to enter?

No, I didn't pay, as we didn't go. But we called the TAT before the trip to Pak Chong because I wanted them to confirm officially what I needed to show in order to avoid the Thailand tourist scam. The office told us it depended on how far we went into Khao Yai and that the price for going into the furthest point was 600 for foreigners. In Ubon last year, we were told that if we had our house documents to show we lived in Thailand, they'd let us in for the Thai price, but not with our driving licences. So this time I decided to call and check, but the Ubon park's claim was obviously not truthful.

Edited by sambai

We're were only driving from Pak Chong to Trat through the park as a short cut and still got stung.

Didn't get out of the car, didn't leave a footprint, didn't run over a monkey, but still had to pay up.

Most expensive toll booth I've ever been through.

No, I didn't pay, as we didn't go. But we called the TAT before the trip to Pak Chong because I wanted them to confirm officially what I needed to show in order to avoid the Thailand tourist scam. The office told us it depended on how far we went into Khao Yai and that the price for going into the furthest point was 600 for foreigners. In Ubon last year, we were told that if we had our house documents to show we lived in Thailand, they'd let us in for the Thai price, but not with our driving licences. So this time I decided to call and check, but the Ubon park's claim was obviously not truthful.

Ok appreciate the clarification as I thought you may have been referring to some other NP. As we all know, it is so hard to obtain consistent and accurate advice in this country! Two people in the same office can adise completly contradictory info.

We're were only driving from Pak Chong to Trat through the park as a short cut and still got stung.

Didn't get out of the car, didn't leave a footprint, didn't run over a monkey, but still had to pay up.

Most expensive toll booth I've ever been through.

Seems completely reasonable to me. Your taking a short cut to get from A to B through a National Park which is world Heritage Status! So your paying for unique experience which stictly speaking from a good managment view probably should not be available as you do leave a footprint even if you didn't stop anywhere.

Each and every vehicle makes an impact on that protected piece of land in terms of pollution, rubbish, threats to fauna and flora etc so there should be some kind of deterrent to stop thousands of vehicles taking the same short cut otherwise it might turn into a highway.

Having taking the same journey (during a park visit), even if your just taking a short cut and not stopping to vist the park it seems a very cheap price to pay for such a scenic drive.

Sambai:

Can you please clarify the charge for B600 for going to the "furthest point" in the park? We camp and visit Khao Yai quite frequently and I have never heard of this type of charge. Also when entering I show my thai drivers lisc. and have always entered for the Thai price.