2 Days In C.M.

songhklasid

I will be entertaining my G/F from ubon, 1st time to C.M. in december, what would anyone recommend as a must see in 2 days, I was thinking of doi suthep, or is it too touristy, can you see anything in the pollution? Open to ideas, thanking all.

regards songhklasid.B)

Would recomend Doi intonon natioal park and sam kampaeng hot springs both good days out the hot springs have a hot bath house you can rent for an hour with natural hot spring water great for inside an out, cost about 200 baht entry about 100 baht.

I think the itinerary when with Thai people tends to be a little different from Westerners.. For example, with a Thai person, you can't really omit a visit to the *(&$^#@ Pandas. Also resorts with flowers and waterfalls rank highly. Maybe even the hot springs, but to be honest I think they're not very well maintained; I like either very natural and unspoiled hot springs OR ones with really nice Spa facilities, but the Sangkaphaeng one is kind of the worst of both worlds. Unnatural with all kinds of plumbing installed, and crap services/facilities.

If she's the adventurous type then a visit to Pai (or Mae Hong Son loop) would be very nice as well. As has been stated above, this season (rain) is also good for Doi Inthanon, very beautiful this time of year, and you can tick another 'typical Thai' thing off the list, i.e. taking a picture at the sign for the 'highest spot in Thailand'.

And then there's food.. let me know if some really nice Northern food would be appreciated by you both, then I can make some recommendations.

EDIT: Pls. give me some stars / reputation brownie points. :)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

No pollution in December. All of Chiang Mai is to touristy that's why tourist visit us.:lol: Come and have a great time.

My condo taken from near the top of doisuteph yesterday. A long long way away and as you can see no polution.

post-64834-072095900 1280318630_thumb.jp

Thankyou all,winnin the kwai coi ithanon, Is it accesible by road, or a mountain hike, which can take the shine off it,sounds kike either doi suthep, or ithanon, Now what about that #1 thai (northern cuisine) restaurant.

thanking all regards songhklasid.B)

Doi Suthep is a must see. Ensure you take the steps right to the top level though to the actual stupa. Continue to the summer palace and hilltribe village, a few Kms further on from Doi Suthep. The palace is particularly worth seeing if it's a misty/foggy day. You could probably tie up a full day on seeing those.

From my experience, the smokey conditions aren't a problem until February/March, but those who live in CM may disagree. I've never seen the everyday pollution (cars, industry) as a problem

Edited by F4UCorsair

The elephant camp is worth seeing, but is a bit of a con. They don't willingwly tell you that you can just pay entry to the show and wander around. They try to sell you the 'ride' tickets and they are frightfully expensive, from memory a couple of thousand baht, when you can see the show and look around fora couple of hundred. It you want to ride an elephant and are prepared to pay their price, go for it. I did the elephant ride in India many years ago, so didn't bother repeating.

Must-sees for Thais:

Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep - mountain

Wat Phra Singh - old town

Zoo, including aquarium and pandas

Night Bazaar

Night Safari - south

Royal Floral - near Safari

Ban Tawai - near Hang Dong

Mae Sa Elephant Camp - north

Doi Inthanon's ok but not much to see view wise as you can't access the summit. The chedis and one or two of the falls are nice though. Will also take up most of a day and you say she only has two, plus it's a rip for Mr farang unless perhaps you have a license and do the lingo.

The elephant camp is worth seeing, but is a bit of a con. They don't willingwly tell you that you can just pay entry to the show and wander around. They try to sell you the 'ride' tickets and they are frightfully expensive, from memory a couple of thousand baht, when you can see the show and look around fora couple of hundred. It you want to ride an elephant and are prepared to pay their price, go for it. I did the elephant ride in India many years ago, so didn't bother repeating.

I would say it is better to go to the elephants on the Lampang Road. T\hey are cared for well and they DO NOT charge farangs more than thais. Addmission is only about 80 baht with the ferry bus to the elephants . A good show and watching the groups of schoolkids enjoying the show is worth it in itself.

Take at least 40 baht more for sugarcane to feed the elephants...about 10 baht a bunch.

Try the Samoeng loop, or a variant of that loop. GT-Rider has a map that can be found about town of just the Samoeng loop that is as good for car touring as for motorcycles. Try the Pong Khwao hot spring in north Samoeng as an alternative to the hot spring out by Sankampeng. That way you can throw in any of the tourist spots in the Mae Sa Valley, including the elephant camp which may be a bit pricey but the elephants are also well cared for, but also includes orchids or monkeys or snakes or tigers, etc. For giggles take her to the bat cave (sorry, can't remember the name) west of Samoeng past the Samoeng Resort and on the left.