Visa +++++

fredob43

I will be in C/M on the 9th next month. Have got to renew my visa. I normaly go to Mae sot but as this is closed, and know one seem's know when it will re open. What I need from the great C/M peep's is the nearest port of call to do same. Had a look at the map and it look's to me like Mai Sai. Is there one nearer that is open. And how long to get there, have car so transport OK. Sugestion's on hotel's by border if you can, nothing to dead. I will be staying at the Imperial near the night market, And have been told that the N/M it's over priced and not good food wise. Any decent restaurant's near there, smoke if poss, price, type, dont care. Thank in advance. Regard's LOST in C/M.

I told a chum that I was going to post some question's in the the C/M forum. He told me not to bother as most of the farang's that live there are brain dead, and I wouldn't get any reply's, I didn't belive him but after 70 view's and not ONE reply. I.E. no one know's where the nearest border is let alone how far, or any of the rest of the question's I posted, I now tend to belive him. Just as a try out Im going to post this in another forum some 900klm away and see if they know the answer's. I'll let you know how I get on. But I bet you C/M peep's I get a reply in less that an hour. Stayed glued as you might learn a thing or two.

The following port and reply is copied from 'The Thai visas, residency and work permits' forum

'I posted a question or two in the Chiang Mai forum under visa+++++ and after 4 hour's and 70+ view's no reply's Ive just told them they are a brain dead lot. So dont let me down. I want to know amongst other thing's where the nearest border was to C/M to do a visa run. Dont let me down as I told them Id let them know how long it take's me to get a reply. From you lot 900klm away. By all mean's let them know yourself if you want. Let's see who the brain dead are".

Frebo,

A couple of things. I do not think that you helped yourself yesterday evening, with your Topic Post at 1845, as you did not post in the main Chiang Mai forum - but in Chiang Mai 'News and Events'. Despite the 70 views, at that time in the evening, perhaps many of the viewers were unable to help you. As the number of views is now up to 115 - it may be that your sacastic remarks, in your further post have not served you well.

Had you posted in the main CM forum - it may have been a different story. Still, at that time of the evening - 4 hours for a reply may have been optimistic. Despite your reference to CM Forum posters and viewers being 'brain dead', it is most often the case that many will be quite helpful.

Up to you concerning using your car to Mae Sai, but another option is to book one of the many tour mini-bus that daily make this return trip. You can either elect to travel direct to Mae Sai, or take one which will include sight-seeing along the way. I think that it will be more cost effective that using your own vehicle and less tiring. Plus they will drop you right in front of the border. I could be wrong but I have never found any parking close to the border - which may mean a walk in the rain or songtieow to/from.

Should you still wish to drive - it is 3-4 hours each way. Take the road to Chiang Rai. When you hit the T-junction, turn left and follow the signs to Mae Sai.

Gladiator

Many of us "brain dead" people here on the CM forum are in Thailand on legitimate one-year retirement visas. It's simple -- all you have to do is put 800,000 baht in the bank and be over the age of 50. When the visa expires, we visit the bank for verification of the account and then visit the local immigration office. We just don't have a clue about which border crossing is closest to CM -- why would we ever want to leave?

Many of us "brain dead" people here on the CM forum are in Thailand on legitimate one-year retirement visas. It's simple -- all you have to do is put 800,000 baht in the bank and be over the age of 50. When the visa expires, we visit the bank for verification of the account and then visit the local immigration office. We just don't have a clue about which border crossing is closest to CM -- why would we ever want to leave?

That's a fantastic option ..... presuming your over 50!

Not that straight forward for us younger folk though, regardless of 800,000 or 8 Million in the bank!

Maybe the OP falls into this catagory as not all of us here are retired.

:whistling:

• Like 1

Well to the best of my knowledge the border is open. But you might want to check on it before you go. To the best of my knowledge it is the closest maybe Lao. Never had a reason to find out.

I believe it closes at 5:00 could be wrong on that also remember I am brain dead.

Maybe I am one of those brain dead residents you talk about. I for the life of me have no idea of what you are talking about with this line

" And have been told that the N/M it's over priced and not good food wise"

And while you are explaining it what has it got to do with the Imperial?

And witch night market there are several here in Chiang Mai?

Edited by jayjay0

The border at Mae Sai is open and it does take 3 - 4 hours by car. When we go there is usually 3 of us in the car and we usually manage to park fairly close to the crossing point. We normally set off around 5am which means we miss all the coaches and mini-busses on the way up and back.

There's a good duty free shop just down in the market where wines, spirits & beer is much cheaper than here in Chiang - Mai.

Beware of the rain if your driving though, we went two weeks ago and it was real bad at times.

I was going to give you a run-down on the best way to not waste an entire day, what to avoid, tips n tricks, but as you're clearly an impatient, bad-mannered ass, I think I'll keep it to myself. Hope you get a flat tyre. ;)

I was going to give you a run-down on the best way to not waste an entire day, what to avoid, tips n tricks, but as you're clearly an impatient, bad-mannered ass, I think I'll keep it to myself. Hope you get a flat tyre. ;)

:clap2:

Might I also recommend the OP to the excellent thread, at the start of the Chiang Rai forum, on the latest news about the Mae-Sai/Tachilek border-crossing. B)

Hint ... you may like Chiang Mai better, and feel more welcome, if you don't go calling us bad-mannered asses. :whistling:

I told a chum that I was going to post some question's in the the C/M forum. He told me not to bother as most of the farang's that live there are brain dead, and I wouldn't get any reply's, I didn't belive him but after 70 view's and not ONE reply. I.E. no one know's where the nearest border is let alone how far, or any of the rest of the question's I posted, I now tend to belive him. Just as a try out Im going to post this in another forum some 900klm away and see if they know the answer's. I'll let you know how I get on. But I bet you C/M peep's I get a reply in less that an hour. Stayed glued as you might learn a thing or two.

Be careful, posts like this could earn you a nice little holiday from this particular forum, which will give you a lot more time on the othere one where all the posters are not "brain dead' as you insinuate in this post <_<

The following port and reply is copied from 'The Thai visas, residency and work permits' forum

'I posted a question or two in the Chiang Mai forum under visa+++++ and after 4 hour's and 70+ view's no reply's Ive just told them they are a brain dead lot. So dont let me down.

CM forum users, brain dead? This chap can't even count, there are three hours (well 2 hours 59 minutes) between his first post at 18:46 and his reply at 21:45... Glass houses and stones spring to mind.

'I posted a question or two in the Chiang Mai forum under visa+++++ and after 4 hour's and 70+ view's no reply's Ive just told them they are a brain dead lot. So dont let me down.

CM forum users, brain dead? This chap can't even count, there are three hours (well 2 hours 59 minutes) between his first post at 18:46 and his reply at 21:45... Glass houses and stones spring to mind.

His grammer and spelling is even worser than his math, I think. Butt what do I no? I'm brain dead.

His grammer and spelling is even worser than his math, I think. Butt what do I no? I'm brain dead.

Let us hope he has the decency to keep his mouth shut around Thai's. He could give them the impression that All Farongs are morons.

Agreed. Great way to get help. Insult everyone first. :o;)

I help everyone I can, but I don't help bad mannered people... from any country. Stay home. :annoyed:

Well I think the OP has got all the replies he's going to get on this thread.

Maybe he would do well to re-post in a less hostile manner on the Visa Forum and I am sure he will get all the answers he islooking for (if he has not found them on the non-brain dead forum already <_<

It's amazing what a bit of courtesy can achieve :whistling:

Closed///////