English F.A. Asleep Again

personchester

Following the disastrously poor performance of major well known national football teams during the recent world cup in South Africa the managers of the teams concerned i.e. France, Italy, Portugal, Brasil, Argentine, and others, have either resigned voluntary, or they were fired by their countries football association.

The English Football association however has not done any of this, since they still regard Capello as the best man available for the job, this however, is strongly opposed by current and past English professional footballers, and in order to appease them the F.A. has decided to engage a new Englishman (not named yet) in addition and above the other English fellow 'Steward Pearce' as a new type of manager but still under the authority of Capello, thus Capello has now been promoted and positioned as 'Overlord" of the English national team.

This is inspite of the poor performance of the English Team in general, and some individual players in particular, all this was chiefly due to poor team motivation, and poor team selection from the Italien management, moreover, as Italiens they can not have true compassionate feelings for the English team during a World Cup competition, and they were perhaps heavily depressed by the early exit of their own national team which no doubt resulted in negative motivation for the English team, all this together with poor technical tactics i.e. a consistant 4. 4. 2. playing style, long balls, poor substitution, etc ... after the games Capello made excuses saying that the English players were all tired ... that John Terry caused problems within the dressing room , etc ... etc.

Thus the English F.A. is obviously still asleep, and due to its history has been so for years.

Yes, guess it can be moved to the footie Forum.

Anyhow,

I think there is no doubt in the football world about the quality of Capello.

His CV speaks for itself.

Of course, he makes mistakes as well.

Having said that.

Are the English players really as good as they claim to be?

How many from the start XI are actually wanted abroad these days?

Seems like the foreign clubs want the foreign players from the EPL.

Watching almost every match in the WC, it was probably only NZ and US where the technical skills of the players were worse.

How many technical gifted players are there on the English national team?

Im sorry, not wanting to bash the English players, as I am (and have always been) a huge fan of English football. I love watching football from EPL.

After England failed to qualify for the last Euro, everyone in England agreed upon the fact that the entire system must change, this in order to groom the talents, and the managers would have a bigger pool to choose from.

Still it seems like FA is the only place where they dont believe in developing technical skills already from a very young age.

They still believe that "fight & spirit" is the foundation.

And as soon as England started off with a very nice World Cup qualifying campaign, it seemed like once again the present team was "the best ever since 1966".

I have not counted, but how many top players does capello have to choose from?

Look at Germany. They seem to have managed to get their talents going.

2nd youngest team in the WC.

Again,

I dont think one can blame the Coach if experienced so called stars "under perform".

^^Huh? It's his job to make sure that they DO perform.

In some ways yes, but one can not take away grown up men's responsibility for doing their jobs.

Is it the Manager's fault at your job, if you dont perform?

Dont think so.

If Capello had been the NZ coach during the WC, he would have been hailed as a wonder maker.

It's my manager's responsibility if I don't perform. Of course. His job is to make me perform or replace me with someone who can/ will.

Exactly my point.

If you dont perform, then who will replace you?

And if there are no better to replace you with, then the Manager is stuck with you.

Btw, wonder why this thread has not been moved yet.

One of the reasons Capello kept the job is IMO simple, the FA can't afford to sack him,if they'd have let him go it would have cost around 12 million pounds in compensation to him, funny though how the FA deleted a clause in Cappelos contract just 4 weeks before the world cup, which would have allowed either the FA or Cappello to terminate the contract..

Whilst Capello should take some of the blame the players IMO were a disgrace, some of em anyway, where was Rooneys one brain cell, maybe he left it back in the UK, Heskey running round in circles and a defence too slow to catch anybody, maybe it's time to get rid of the mega stars who think their so good and get new blood and players who really want to play for their country with pride.

Cappelos past record speaks for itself, some 70% wins but when the players perform how they did I can't see how people can blame Cappelo for all, Cappelo wasnt on the pitch playing, he chose the players who were though but they never played to their full potential.

A poll on a football forum I visit, over 40% blamed the players for not playing to their ability and as a team and lack of performance..25% blamed the manager for tactical failure, the press even got some of the blame for media pressure.

Edited by MB1

Not tremendously Thai-related, is it?

Of course it is, Thai people are very much interested in Football, particulary so in English football, teams like Man-United, Liverpool, and Chelsea are very popular here, and the Englich national team consists of many players from those clubs, Thais would like to know the reason for the poor performance of their favourite English players in the recent world cup.

Not tremendously Thai-related, is it?

Of course it is, Thai people are very much interested in Football, particulary so in English football, teams like Man-United, Liverpool, and Chelsea are very popular here, and the Englich national team consists of many players from those clubs, Thais would like to know the reason for the poor performance of their favourite English players in the recent world cup.

Then may they enjoy themselves reading all about it in the footsie forum.

One of the reasons Capello kept the job is IMO simple, the FA can't afford to sack him,if they'd have let him go it would have cost around 12 million pounds in compensation to him, funny though how the FA deleted a clause in Cappelos contract just 4 weeks before the world cup, which would have allowed either the FA or Cappello to terminate the contract..

Whilst Capello should take some of the blame the players IMO were a disgrace, some of em anyway, where was Rooneys one brain cell, maybe he left it back in the UK, Heskey running round in circles and a defence too slow to catch anybody, maybe it's time to get rid of the mega stars who think their so good and get new blood and players who really want to play for their country with pride.

Cappelos past record speaks for itself, some 70% wins but when the players perform how they did I can't see how people can blame Cappelo for all, Cappelo wasnt on the pitch playing, he chose the players who were though but they never played to their full potential.

A poll on a football forum I visit, over 40% blamed the players for not playing to their ability and as a team and lack of performance..25% blamed the manager for tactical failure, the press even got some of the blame for media pressure.

If in your opinion the players were a disgrace then one has to ask the question WHY, and the answer is >> THE MANAGEMENT <<

it is the managers job to motivate the players "mentally" as well as physically and technically, if Rooney had a brain problem then it would have been Capello's duty to restore him mentally, Fergie is able to do it all the time, Capello obviously was unable doing it.

Moreover, Capello's past record is that of managing league clubs, that is to say he was a cheque book manager, which is not comparable with the management of a national team, league clubs can and do buy the best global players they can get, and as a result they are bound to have a successful team which gives them a chance to win various championships.

However, the manager of a national team has no such cheque book advantage, he can only select players according to their passports, as a result a national team manager in addition to tactical matters must be skilful in ... forming, fermenting, blending, harmonizing, motivating, and respecting the national players in order to get a team performance that produces results.

The rather poor performance of the English team in South Africa is a confirmation of the fact that Capello was unable to do so.

OP,So it's all Capellos fault in your eyes is it, nothing to do with IMO a lazy under performing squad of players, it's easy to scapegoat Capello and blame him, funny how Beckam said that, quoted below..

"He (Capello) did everything that he could. Everything behind the scenes was perfect; our camp was amazing. To be able to train where we were and stay where we were doesnt get much better. The lads know they didnt play and perform well enough,"

It's okay saying it's the managers fault for lack of motivation, but a manager can only do so much, players need to motivate themselves as well, face a few truths OP and look back at the past, English players seem to have a problem when playing on the world stage, failure to qualify for Euro 2008, Englands failure in previous world cups, 6 diferent managers since 2000 so is it the managers fault or is it the players, the last time in recent years I recall England players playing anything like their premiership/club selves on a world/Euro stage was in the early stages of Euro 2004.

Edited by MB1

The English Football association however has not done any of this, since they still regard Capello as the best man available for the job,

Nothing to do with the 12 million pound compensation then is it OP if the FA did get rid of him, do you seriously think he'd still be manager if they didnt have to pay him..????....

How many world cups have the expectations been so high for the English side and then of course we all know the rest, disappointment after disappointment.

This team had one of the best qualifying runs in recent history, why did they fail who knows it is called being a human being.

It hasn't mattered who the coach has been English, Swede, Italian the English players always seem to come thru and disappoint their fans. I am an American and love English Football, I was glad we tied but sad that England didn't do better.

The English Football association however has not done any of this, since they still regard Capello as the best man available for the job,

Nothing to do with the 12 million pound compensation then is it OP if the FA did get rid of him, do you seriously think he'd still be manager if they didnt have to pay him..????....

The term compensation referes to additional payments for contract amendments / breach, but this does not apply here, the F.A. payment obligation to Capello would not have changed if had they fired him, it would have cost the remaining two years of his salary contract, (6. Mill. p.a.) but payment would not have been made in a lump sum of course, but in normal monthly payments for the rest of his contract, (two years) like they did with Ericsson when they fired him, they had to keep paying him for several years 'til the end of his contract.

But since Capello hangs on for the next two years his payment will be the same, (12. mill.) no more, no less, but as the F.A. stated, a new English manager will be engaged as a number 2 below Capello, his salary is not known yet but whatever the sum, it will be a new expense increase for their salary budget

Thus the F.A . will have two managers soon, a new English chap, together with the Italien Overlord, of course since they have to pay for Capello anyway in terms of his contract, which they renewed (whilst being asleep) prior to the world cup, they keep him on for the remaining two years in order to avoid the embarrassment they suffered paying Ericsson for several years, but the payment for Capello remains the same ... as per contract, whether they had fired him or not.

The reason for engaging a new manger for the England team two years prior to the completion of Capello's contract is indicative of the fact that the F.A. regard his performance as negative, but since they have to pay him anyway for the next two years, well, they keep him on with a view perhaps that he might be able to provide some new Pizza and Spaghetti recipes that might benefit the team for the next European championship,

PS: Beckham, due to injury went to S/Africa as a mediator between Capello and the team, (the lads) the reason he supports Capello

in terms of performance is because he hopes to be selected again as a player for future England games, thus his comments

must be regarded in the light of this.

Hardly a one off problem with our team is it???

It's been well discussed and there is at least the suggestion that England continually fail because of the demands of the Premier league. The solution then would be to ensure that only fit and fresh players are considered. Tough luck on Rooney et al, but a knackered star player is worse than a good Championship player who is fit and willing IMHO.

OP is right to be disgusted, but unfortunately it all went downhill from thereafter.

I don't think the problem will be solved by sacking (yet) another good manager.

I hope this present very good manager is allowed free reign to do what needs to be done!!