Human Traffickers Prey On Vulnerable In Thailand

webfact

Human traffickers prey on vulnerable in Thailand - Feature

by Kelly Macnamara

KOH KRED (AFP) -- Sixteen-year-old Kaew slumped into unconsciousness in a van somewhere in southern Thailand, believing she was on her way to work in a textile factory near the border.

She woke up in Malaysia to discover that she had been sold into the sex trade.

Hers is just one of a multitude of cases of modern-day slavery in Thailand, most of which involve a mix of poverty, violence and betrayal.

Apparently drugged and later locked in a room in Kuala Lumpur, Kaew met three other Thai women who asked if she had been lured to work like them.

"I had no idea what they were talking about, but then they told me what kind of job they did and what kind of job I had to do. I was very scared," said Kaew, whose name AFP has changed to protect her identity.

She managed to escape before her first job, using money she had been given to buy food to take a taxi to the Thai embassy.

Now she is now being cared for at Baan Kredtrakarn, a government-run shelter just outside Bangkok. But she can't help thinking of the women she left behind -- or her abductors.

"I want them to be punished. I am very angry," she said.

The US State Department last month put Thailand on its human trafficking watchlist, accusing it of not doing enough to combat trafficking.

It said the country was a source, destination and transit point for trafficking, with ethnic minorities and citizens of neighbouring countries at particular risk of sexual abuse or forced labour.

Victims -- mainly from Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos -- have been found in the fishing industry, seafood factories, sweatshops and domestic work, while young girls are also ensnared in Thailand's vast sex industry.

They form part of a vast shadow economy across Asia that generates about 10 billion dollars in yearly profits from forced labourers, mainly prostitutes, according to a 2005 report by the International Labour Organisation (ILO).

It estimated there were 1.36 million trafficking-related victims in forced labour in the Asia-Pacific region -- more than half the global total.

Thai authorities are believed to have identified and helped 530 foreign victims of trafficking last year and repatriated 79 Thai citizens who had been taken overseas.

But experts say that is just the tip of the iceberg, partly because many victims do not want to identify themselves by making a complaint.

"The fact is we just do not have an accurate understanding of the numbers for Thailand, but we do know that the problem is significant," said Allan Dow, an expert at the ILO.

Thailand has said the US report did not take into account its efforts to curb human trafficking.

The country has introduced a scheme to register migrants to give them legitimacy, and reached agreements with its neighbours to cooperate on tackling the issue.

But experts said costly registration procedures, the risk of extortion by corrupt police or civil servants and -- in Myanmar's case -- fear of the authorities mean people often shy away from going through legal channels.

Phil Robertson, Human Rights Watch's deputy Asia director, said Thai officials needed to recognise that trafficking "will stain their record" internationally.

"In the worse forms of exploitation that these migrant workers face, they are being trafficked into situations where they may be held for months or years with no pay and physical and sexual abuse," he said.

With porous borders and a prosperous economy compared to some of its neighbours, Thailand is a magnet for migration.

The challenges faced by authorities are huge, particularly as trafficking networks are seldom more than loose connections.

Victims are often approached by acquaintances who promise lucrative work across the border. When there is no way back, they find they have been duped.

That's what happened to Bopha, a 40-year-old Cambodian woman who arranged a job in a fish ball factory in Thailand through a broker. After more than a month working from 6:00 am until at least midnight she still had not been paid.

"I cried every day but I had to hide it," she said.

Workers were imprisoned inside the factory compound by high walls, barbed wire and security cameras, and those who tried to escape were beaten.

"When I saw them hit people I thought, we are all human why do they have to do this when we just came to work?" said Bopha, whose name AFP has also changed.

In the end one worker was able to use a smuggled mobile phone to call his relatives and arrange a rescue. Now at the same shelter as Kaew, she yearns to see her family again.

"I am old. I think a lot," Bopha said. "I miss home. I miss my children. I miss my husband and I miss my mother."

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-07-29

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a serious crime and one Thailand continues to ignore. It is now the 21st century so why is it we still have this situation? Equality is in the eye of the beholder - these guys should be incarcerated for life with no chance of parole. Send the message, this could be your daughter - your sister, your niece. But as the police and high ranking individuals are all on the take - it is too often ignored. Organisations such as SISHA help but in real terms, they lack funding and investigative skills. I would welcome any suggestions to assist and would be active in participation. Please advise as I have access to some well trained people who are totally against this type of abuse and will willingly take the risks (for a pay day of course) but well is their intent to put these people down. Open to suggestions.angry.gif

• Like 1

This is a serious crime and one Thailand continues to ignore. It is now the 21st century so why is it we still have this situation? Equality is in the eye of the beholder - these guys should be incarcerated for life with no chance of parole. Send the message, this could be your daughter - your sister, your niece. But as the police and high ranking individuals are all on the take - it is too often ignored. Organisations such as SISHA help but in real terms, they lack funding and investigative skills. I would welcome any suggestions to assist and would be active in participation. Please advise as I have access to some well trained people who are totally against this type of abuse and will willingly take the risks (for a pay day of course) but well is their intent to put these people down. Open to suggestions.angry.gif

It's a nice thought, really, but Money talks first in Thailand. As long as the Police accept bribes, they will continue to look the other way and even participate to pay for their Rolex watches and Mercedes Benz. It's pure greed, and selfishness in the land of smiles and unfortunately Thailand is a country with no morale compass, thus it will continue

Thai society is based on taking advantage of the weak. This is just a mirror of the rich and powerful of a unjust social structure. It will not stop until Thailand transforms itself into a viable, democratic, uncorrupted country. Which is a long way coming.

No trafficking of Thai women goes on without the assistance of "the untouchables". be they Police officers, Army generals, Politicians or whoever. They can and do get away with it. Thailand is sadly as corrupt if not more so than when I first arrived more than 20 years ago.

Punishment should be made to fit the crime, and NOBODY should be exempt. In the UK even the Royals are occasionally brought to book for motoring offences.

Human trafficking is basically a death sentence, since unless the women can escape they are in real danger of contracting AIDS. As such those that are involved in trafficking should themselves receive a death sentence NO MATTER WHO THEY ARE

• Like 1

Also one many sex tourists choose to ignore within Thailand. Many girls are in debt to pimps and madames after being promised a prosperous life in the heavenly city of angels. In fact their parents often thank the nice man, lady, relative or friend for giving their family this opportunity....it is easy to con the uneducated, vulnerable and those so far removed from the big city. Don't let a smile fool you.

The issue of human trafficking is all too real, but yet so many people and nations turn the other way when it comes to adknowledging its presence. Unitl nations step up and adknowledge the scale of this horrifying issue, it will continue. Yes, there are some organizations desperately attempting to free those being trafficked and to end the whole issue, but there are too few of them and the trafficking industry is so large...

No trafficking of Thai women goes on without the assistance of "the untouchables". be they Police officers, Army generals, Politicians or whoever. They can and do get away with it. Thailand is sadly as corrupt if not more so than when I first arrived more than 20 years ago.

Punishment should be made to fit the crime, and NOBODY should be exempt. In the UK even the Royals are occasionally brought to book for motoring offences.

Human trafficking is basically a death sentence, since unless the women can escape they are in real danger of contracting AIDS. As such those that are involved in trafficking should themselves receive a death sentence NO MATTER WHO THEY ARE

Agreed 100% What sickens me even more is how they do this crap here where you already have readily available , cheap, good quality sex workers that are doing it voluntarily.

Why the F do they need to enslave women?

Im in , asiawatcher just nominated himself to coordinate , maybe we could Volunteer services and get paid from the proceeds of crime after the perps have been shaken down by the brown shirts ! prolly not much left in the kitty for us then but, Seriously im sure there would be many expats and locals willing to help combat this scurge just need the powers that be to help coordinate an effort . i watched a report in australia on ABC about one australian guy helping to get girls back home from malaysia cant remember what organisation he was with or if he was working alone but it was a quite shocking report and showed a few girls resettling back with family but those scares will never heal and the loss of dignity makes everyday for them a nightmare . Shame on those Scum who partake in this how they sleep at night is beyond comprehension surely they have sisters mothers or daughters !

Come on Thailand lets have a DECENT Crackdown !!!

I'm usually not in favour of violence, but for traffickers and their helpers (read: the police), there's probably no other way than physical elimination. The completely destroy the life of each and every one of their victims. There are hardly any lower creatures on this earth. Unfortunately, it's my impression that these things are getting worse here in Thailand.

Thai society is based on taking advantage of the weak. This is just a mirror of the rich and powerful of a unjust social structure. It will not stop until Thailand transforms itself into a viable, democratic, uncorrupted country. Which is a long way coming.

AND SO SAY ALL OF US - what do u think the reds are protesting about --- think this will happen - chart na don by by - or maybe on a sunday "in the next life" ---

when there is some sort of social order and equality for all that this country will start to see some sort of stability and equality but it sure is not now -

I'd second that.

This sort of thing has been the way we humans have been treating each other since the dawn of our species.

While I personally disagree with it, very strongly, it is not my country, and not my right to criticise how they handle it.

It boils down to improving the social standards and education. Thailand as a society is a lot more liberated with their sexuality compared to their neighbors. This and poverty creates a climate where there is incest, rape and domestic violence. What comes next is exploitation of women and children. It is very unsettling to know that there is no comfort zone for these poor people. We all take it for granted that our home and family is our safe zone where we all look out for each other and have not known otherwise.

Educating the right family values and castration of these low life predators is a must in curbing this heinous act.

'Send the message, this could be your daughter - your sister, your niece.' quoted

and Padrino

too dam_n right, I've travelled all over the world, I've never seen tourists like those in Thailand,

these sex tourists are part of the cause, cut the cause and end the demand end the symptoms, these arsoles who believe prostitution is a vicitimless crime are so wrong,

Make an example of a few of these types and perhaps a certain amount of demand will dissapear

'Send the message, this could be your daughter - your sister, your niece.' quoted

and Padrino

too dam_n right, I've travelled all over the world, I've never seen tourists like those in Thailand,

these sex tourists are part of the cause, cut the cause and end the demand end the symptoms, these arsoles who believe prostitution is a vicitimless crime are so wrong,

Make an example of a few of these types and perhaps a certain amount of demand will dissapear

what sort of bullshit is this poverty and social justice crap,

the us britain all these countries have an equally bad trade, bringing in young girls for a real good job, you must be a half witted blind fuc_kwit to believe that this is due to soical and economic factors in the los

The Nation should do a better job attacking the elite who made such a mess out of Thailand; let's see what is wrong within their circles:<div>1. An army that is sending refugees back to open see without food and with motors that have been ravaged.</div><div>2. During his tenure as dictator of Thailand, Prem did not allow hill tribe children to attend school, therefore making them easy prey</div><div>3. Abhisit appointed a brothel owner as minister of commerce</div><div>4. Immigration police is selling girls from Burma and other countries into slavery.</div><div>5. The government deports foreign workers because they have not been back home to register as an alien worker. They hand them over in maesot to the DKBA who demand huge sums of money, sell them into brothels and force others into other labor.</div><div>6. Police do help shady business people not rescuing victims and are demanding bribes.</div><div>The lst goes on and on.</div><div>There is only hope on a better future when the elite is made to suffer the same way as they did the poor and vulnerable. Without suffering they simply do not understand. As long as great promo ads like "Sorry Thailand" are censored because it shows the greed of the rich and the criminal behavior of politicians, nothing can be changed. So if the Nation wants to change things start a crusade and attack the businesses of your owners.</div>

Why only mention the Thai society?

I have no idea where you come from, but where in the world the richt don't take advantage of the poor?

Even in, as you call it, viable, democratic, uncorrupted countries?

Where in the world can you find a just social structure?

Where in the world there is, in one way or another, no trade in human.

Even labour-agencies, if you look up the UN-rules, can be classified as dealing in human trade.

One step furthe you might call "hire and fire" a disguised form of human trafficking.

The point is, the rich using poor people to get even richer is something of all times and places.

You can agree with it, or not agree with it, it will not change.

Mind, I do not condone things, but I realise that I do not have any power to fight it.

And I most certainly do not like the idea the country where I live in seems not to do much about it.

That said, even in my home country and the surrounding countries there seem to be a livily trade in human beings.

Be it for the sex industry, or "slave" labour in sweatshops.

Kicking the Thai in the collective balls is not the way to success.

And thinking that a "real" democracy, whatever that may be, will stop human trafficking is living in a kind of LaLaLand.

Even in viable, democratic, uncorrupted countries the poor are used.

• Like 1

One of the many problems are the unregistered immigrant children in Thailand. Burmese immigrants expect that their children, age 12 up – contribute financially to the family. Although the Thai government has established about 50 schools/learning centers for Burmese immigrants in Maesot, THEIR PARENTS (!!!!!!!!!!) often take the kids age 12 up out of school and send them to work. Vultures are around, offering jobs in Bangkok.

For many of these girls it is a one-way trip, without return.

As Jews disappeared during the Nazi regime…. so do immigrants children disappear on a GRANT SCALE!

The horror is: these girls have NO CLUE what is awaiting them.

My question: where can we obtain WARNING MATERIAL in Thai and Burmese? Poster, flyer, reports, DVDs.. any warning material which can be distributed to the Burmese immigrant community. Make it known. Make it a shame to send the daughters to Bangkok. Any information is welcome.

Edited by RaiBerg

Also watch your kids, of all ages, every minute.

Around 1,000 children under 18 go missing across Thailand every year, the vast majority are never found, includes all ages from very small.

This happened several years back in my extended Thai family, a small girl disappeared at a shopping complex, she's never been found. As you can imagine, the parents will never recover.

Agreed 100% What sickens me even more is how they do this crap here where you already have readily available , cheap, good quality sex workers that are doing it voluntarily.

I hate human traffickers as much as I hate kiddy fiddlers. Once the perpetrators are caught they should be whipped with a cat 'o' nine tails and shoved into a windowless cell for 5 years and feed bread and water and allowed no human contact. If they die....to bad. And don't whine to me about a fair trial....cos their victims didn't get a fair go, why should they.

Unfortunately, the "sex tourist" as a major cause is a myth. Not condoning any sex tourist at all - love the fact that a Canadian in Vancouver has just been sentenced to more than ten years in prison for his activities in Cambodia and Columbia - but the greater sexual slavery is home grown.

Yes, farang tourists do make use of the sexual services offered here. It's obvious and blatant and in-your-face.

What's not obvious and blatant but is much more hidden, is the fact that the majority of sexually commercial activity is from Thai customers.

Hate to break it to you but the ones you say are doing it on their own free will probably are not. Look into any Bar-girls life and you will find sadness and despair. Every prostitute is some mans daughter or son.

Unfortunately, the "sex tourist" as a major cause is a myth. Not condoning any sex tourist at all - love the fact that a Canadian in Vancouver has just been sentenced to more than ten years in prison for his activities in Cambodia and Columbia - but the greater sexual slavery is home grown.

Yes, farang tourists do make use of the sexual services offered here. It's obvious and blatant and in-your-face.

What's not obvious and blatant but is much more hidden, is the fact that the majority of sexually commercial activity is from Thai customers.

very true. The culture need to change at the root. Or the whole tree will die.

The "holier than thou" route is not going to alleviate this world-wide problem. Every country in the world has some form of human-traffic problem. Every one. To say it is all the fault of sex-tourists in Thailand is a bit incorrect. Each and every area of Thailand has "soi fai daeng" in which prostitutes ply their trade. Most of these venues never see a foreign sex-tourist. Prostitution and trafficking has been a problem world-wide since man knew he could control the uneducated and vulnerable. It is not unique to Thailand. It is just blatantly obvious in Thailand. In the USA, I reside near Atlanta, GA. It is the capital of the teen sex-trade in SE USA. It is an ongoing battle to rid the streets of those that prey on the young and vulnerable. It is ignored and a hush-hush subject to most people. It is something here that is just not discussed. It exists and always will when people take that sort of attitude concerning it whether it be in Atlanta or Bangkok. It will also continue to exist due to those on the take and those in power not working to alleviate except to keep the press off their backs. Sad to say, we will never see its demise in our lifetimes.

Edited by luangtom