So What'S With All The Bread?!

GuestHouse

I forgot to go for lunch today, so by about 2:30 I was starving - Never a problem in a Thai office, I went on walkabout in search delicious morsels amongst the food that is scattered on every desk.

What I found was piles and piles of bread, cookies and pastries.

Now I know I'm not imagining this - 20 years ago bread was almost impossible to find in the area where our office is. Cookies where a rare treat and pastries where never ever seen.

So what's going on, is this as significant a change in the Thai diet as it seems?

McDonalds, Burger King, Subway, KFC, Pizza Hut, Dominoes et al....welcome to the Western world and obesity courtesy of the good ole U.S of A and those ex-pats who come here , (Thailand), for a change of culture but cannot do without that processed crap thay ram down their fat guts everyday. USA, saviours of the world promoters of the gastric band!

No offence intended.

McDonalds, Burger King, Subway, KFC, Pizza Hut, Dominoes et al....welcome to the Western world and obesity courtesy of the good ole U.S of A and those ex-pats who come here , (Thailand), for a change of culture but cannot do without that processed crap thay ram down their fat guts everyday. USA, saviours of the world promoters of the gastric band!

No offence intended.

I'm glad you've got that off your chest.

But I didn't spot one product from any of the companies you mentioned.

They were entirely home (Thai produced) products - and I would add, loaded with sugar, a Thai habit which even someone carrying such an pathological self hatred couldn't blame on the west.

I rarely watch Thai TV, but last night withing the space of an hour I saw 3 advertisements for bread products.

one was for a bun which when sqeezed emitted or oozed a green goey substance which I suspect was high in sugar contant.

Not one good wholesome salad sandwich was seen .

The local shops have what at first appear to be triangle shaped packed sandwiches which we are familiar with in the UK. when prised apart, its similar varied coloured goo. Its also interesting that these products seem to have a shelf life of a thousand years so maybe they only resemble Bread !?. :unsure:

Yes I have noticed the same.

Spend only 2-3 months a year in LOS but......

This time both my wife & I really noticed so many more products like you described.

Also so many new bakeries both stand alone & inside all the big chains.

I know they...carrefore, Tesco, Big C etc always had them but they sure have grown & have a lot of items now.

Edited by flying

My wholewheat bread, serving size 2 slices (50 g) contains sugar 2 g, saturated fat <20 g and sodium <2.4 g.

No % Thai RDI value given for sugar.

So what did you end up eating?

So if you stay in that office for the years to come, all those shapely Thai OL tushes will be fat and blobby.... At least you've got something to look forward to... B)

very funny but i would guess that most of out members will have already embarked on their journey into the afterlife by then. :)

It was more the thought that counts... :lol:

By the way, it does make me recall, a while back on Thai TV, I remember seeing some kind of FAT ladies beauty contest, and WOW, those were some BIG Thai ladies.... REALLY BIG....

Like the kind that would kill you if they rolled over in bed at night... :blink:

Today, I don't know that we see a lot of physical obesity among Thais... But I know there is a big problem with diabetes, perhaps related to sugars and other stuff in the diet of many...

Edited by jfchandler

Let's face it, one man's bread is another man's khow/cow.

In pats for a few day with the family and highly recommend brealkfast at Papa Jonas I think the name is on the way into jomtien. The wife demanded we return today for two big breakfasts with loads of fine breads. Especially like the french breakie with soft boiled eggs, brie and dark bread.

Btw this was our 2nd breakie today as the stereotypical thai buffet at our 4 star hotel consisted of the same cold rice, eggs, hot dogs and bread from unnamed supermarket.

There is a lot more bread, but it is mainly a desert or a snack, not the main part of the meal. Even in Bangkok it is still a problem to get good bread, you have to go to specific stores to get it. The selection of bread at my local Tesco is no better than what you get at 7-11, it's awful. Way more difficult than in Cambodia, Laos, or Malaysia where you can buy good bread easily and street vendors sell awesome sandwiches.

• Like 1

So do folks want to offer up some of their suggestions for where to buy decent to good breads???

Around Bangkok:

--The Tops Supermarket near me (Suk Soi 19) (and I assume others) has a pair of very good breads that I enjoy, one is their Muesli loaf for 75 baht, and the other is a Swiss Walnut bread, great toasted with a bit of butter or margarine...

--The farang oriented Carrefour stores make their own ciabatta breads in plain and usually several different flavors, which are pretty good if you like that style.

--The Bangkok Baking Co. shop at the Marriott hotel between Suk Soi 2 and 4 makes a range of their own breads and pastries, including flat loaves of quite good foccacia (which is my favorite there) and other varieties...

--For raisin bread toasted in the morning, the Toraya Bakery shops on Soi Thong Lo make a smaller whole loaf that tends to be on the sweeter side, and also a larger thick cut sliced loaf that's more bready and less sweet. I find both quite nice, either to eat plain or with a bit of jam or butter.

There also are quite a range of different smaller bakery shops located near the Food Hall in Siam Paragon and inside the grocery store inside Central Chidlom...

What I'm really missing, and haven't yet found, is a good hamburger bun version here... Lots of different rolls, things that locally are called English muffins, though the taste is all wrong, and the white bread grocery store hamburger bun packages... But nothing that I'd call good... Any suggestions?

So if you stay in that office for the years to come, all those shapely Thai OL tushes will be fat and blobby.... At least you've got something to look forward to... B)

Genetics prevents this from occurring. Thai girls eat continuously....and you'd never notice.

Genetics prevents this from occurring. Thai girls eat continuously....and you'd never notice.

Not true... even for the so called lovely ladies of the night.

For_rent.sized.jpg

Funny photo :lol: Notice the "For Rent" sign on the wall behind her....

They always say...always rent, don't buy, here in Thailand.... :rolleyes:

That is why I took the photo, and later and cropped out "Hotel room" just above the words..." For rent". :D

Farmhouse says on its website that its 100% Whole Wheat bread is produced under license (and most likely with principal ingredients from) Roman Meal in the USA... and Roman Meal concurs that its products are available in Thailand.

Before we go blaming obesity on bread, corn syrup or sugar, I think we ought to accept the role 'Growth Hormones' are playing - One of the biggest users of in the food industry being 'Chicken Farming'.

And while I've pointed out the increase in bread consumption (sugar added in abundance), it's got a long way to go before it passes Chicken in the Thai national diet.

No offence intended.

Bangers and mash, big fried British breakfasts, fish and chips and so on - don't bother trying to point the finger at anyone else. :lol:

No offence intended.

Bangers and mash, big fried British breakfasts, fish and chips and so on - don't bother trying to point the finger at anyone else. :lol:

Aside from the culinary delights you mention, our food is so bad you'd have thought we'd all be slim! As a race, I suspect us Brits are now the fattest on the planet. Sheffield Hallam University recently produced a study that showed HALF of all child-bearing age women are severely overweight or obese. The supermarkets are crammed with sugar and fat, outdoing themselves for a share of the 'fat pie'. As the price of sugar plummets, obesity rockets. Quelle surprise. The irony is, it's the people that look after themselves that pay the price - through supermarkets charging more for healthy goods to subsidise the crap, to higher healthcare and related costs.

The twin evils facing the developing world are sugar and fat. Oh, and 'growth hormones', apparently. (rolleyes)

{once again, the PC fools continue to herd us over a cliff}