Cost Of Affidavit At U.S. Embassy

What is the current price charged by the U.S. Embassy for the affidavit describing income for retirement visas? Seems to me it should be somewhere around THB 950, but I recall they base it on an average exchange rate from the last year.

Income Affidavit

The Thai government requires all U.S. citizens with Thai retirement visas to verify their income when they renew their retirement visa annually.

Please fill out the (form) Please remember not to sign the form before you come to the office. You will need to sign it in front of a Consul.

Fee: $50 if you are telling the truth

Fee: $100 if you need to wink at our Consular Officer (humor for the non-Americans)

BTW The document that the US Embassy provides for Thai Immigration says: The (US) Embassy does not guarantee the contents of my own sworn statement.

Edited by jazzbo

BTW The document that the US Embassy provides for Thai Immigration says: The (US) Embassy does not guarantee the contents of my own sworn statement.

Could you please explain that...possibly with a direct quote of what's on the latest Embassy paperwork?

The US Embassy letter says no such thing.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/income_affidavit_retirees.pdf

Embassy of the United States of America

Bangkok, Thailand

Date:

Commissioner

Immigration Bureau

507 Soi Suan Plu

Sathorn Road

Bangkok, Thailand

Dear Sir/Madam:

I, ____________________________________________, an American citizen, born on _______________________, at ______________________________, am the holder of U.S. passport number ________________________________ issued at _______________ on ___________, which expires on ___________.

I, _______________________________________affirm that I reside at

______________________________________________________.

I also affirm that I receive in amount of US$ _________________ every month from the United States Government and/or other sources. I am applying for a Thai visa/ an extension of a current Thai visa and any assistance you can provide in this request will be greatly appreciated.

KINGDOM OF THAILAND

Bangkok, Thailand

Embassy of the United States

Subscribed and sworn to before me this _________________________

The following is the the link for the all-purpose 'blank' affidavit form on the US Embassy Bangkok Notary Services page:

http://bangkok.usemb...k_affidavit.pdf

There is definitely a separate form for Income Affidavit for Retirement extension purposes. However the following verbiage from the blank affidavit form should be understood

explicitly or implicitly for any affidavit notarized at the US Embassy ... and the Thai IMM people certainly know it:

3. Under penalty of perjury, I assume full and complete responsibility for the veracity of the claims herein.

The Embassy does not guarantee the contents of my own sworn statement.

There is definitely a separate form for Income Affidavit for Retirement extension purposes....

....which, fortunately, doesn't confuse the issue that an "oath" equates to the Embassy's "guarantee." Somebody in the State Dept was using their head when they "modified" the vanilla notary statement to accommodate the basic Thai Immigration requirement. Why muddy the water with further stating: 'He might be lying.'

Thank you, State Dept, for helping your citizens here in Thailand -- and saving the "trust, but verify" for situations where warranted.

I seem to remember a few years ago when I got my pension letter from the US ACS that before the consular official signed the document he/she asked me to raise my right hand and swear the stated information is true and correct to the best of my knowledge. After i stated "yes" the official signed and stamped the document.

They did not read the document and only watched me sign it and verify the signature against my passport signature.

I am due to go to the ACS to get my new letter (next week) so I will see what they do this year.

The last 2 times before signing my Income. Affidavit the US Consular Officer had me state that I was aware that the Thai IMM officer can request corroborating income documents.

They do that when you raise your right hand with your fingers crossed..... :rolleyes:

The last 2 times before signing my Income. Affidavit the US Consular Officer had me state that I was aware that the Thai IMM officer can request corroborating income documents.

if you are going to risk giving a false statement on a affidavit using paint or similar program to get corroborating income documents is nothing

Could you please explain that...possibly with a direct quote of what's on the latest Embassy paperwork?

The U.S. Embassy is only notarizing that the person signing the document is you. They make no claims or verification that the information contained therein is true or accurate. If you put false or inaccurate information on the document and the Thais discover this you can 1) lose your visa, 2) be deported and blacklisted and 3) be tried on U.S. FEDERAL felony charges of falsification of documents...same as lying to a government official. Ask Martha Stewart about that.....

Apparently America is looking for extra income, or maybe the staff at the American embassy is better paid.

This service cost 500 ThB at the Belgian Embassy.

The British Embassy charge 2425baht including return ems postage (June 2010) Always has seemed very expensive to me.

The ACS (American Citizen Services) at 95 Wireless Road. Notarial fee used to be $30 USD, or Thai Baht at going exchange rate.

Yes, it has been increased to $50 USD. Just the way it is.

Sewn-in extra passport pages used to be gratis, now $88 USD, or 2800 THB.

Go to the most-excellent US Embassy Website for Thailand. Very impressive website and easy to linger for a few extra hours.

Fascinating documentation available online. If you want, you can register your email address and leave a cell phone number should the need arise that the

the US Embassy can use your services.

No, this is not for Big Brother tracking you down. It does give the US Crew there a head start should another tsunami, or other disaster hit anywhere and

your own particular skills are in demand. It is very easy to register.

I found the staff at ACS to always be top notch and go waaaaay beyond the call of duty in helping out its citizens in a variety of matters.

Another good reason to visit their website: the ACS routinely travels to Pattaya for a weekend of extra-consular services. Yes, they come to YOU.

They generally host these at the Dusit Thani at the end of Sai Song (near big dolphin), but the hotel location can change.

Suss out their website. They usually give 6-8 weeks prior notice of their travelling roadshow to Pattaya, Chiang Mai, etc.

PS....

For Long Term Visa extension and to fulfill Thai Immigration requirements, you will need a complete record (200b) of your Thai Bank Account activity.

Have your Thai bank do this, takes 15-20 minutes. Yes, you will need your passport.

You will also need further documentation of 800k baht in a Thai bank or colloborative, NOTARIZED bank statements on ORIGINAL

Bank stationery, whether it is a USA bank, Thai bank or off-shore institution. The more Notarized paperwork, the better.

The $50 NOTARIZED income statement from ACS is just of many documents you will need in your cherished pursuit of a Prathet Thai --Kingdom

of Thailand Long Term O-A Retirement Visa. Cost all in for the VISA is about $140 USD.

This does NOT include the multiple re-entry stamp. Wait a few days. Come on a day or afternoon when things are not so slammed at either

Thai Immigration way off Moorchit or Soi 5, Jomtien. Give Mondays and Fridays a skip. Yes, all Thai offices are closed every official holiday.

A single entry will cost you 1,000b and multiple entry will cost you 3800 THB, about $120 USD.

Note: you WILL NEED a re-entry stamp prior to flying back to the USA or ANYWHERE.

Many folks might read, yet do not comprehend that if you leave the Kingdom of Thailand without a proper re-entry stamp, when you return, your current VISA will

be rendered NULL and VOID.

They will give you a 30 day stamp.

But then you had better hustle asap and begin all over again! You must have at least 21 GOOD DAYS left on your current visa in order to obtain any other Thai visa.

Many folks miss this fact, wait until day 8 and are hosed.

Play it safe and begin your Thai paper journey 30 days prior to expiration!

PPS

...get in the habit of signing EVERYTHING with a blue ball point pen. Thai Authorities do NOT accept

black ballpoint ink, why? Too easy to photocopy. They want originals. So yes, pack a BLUE ballpoint pen

in your important papers satchel. Pack 3, you'll be helping other mates out......

1. There is no need of bank letter for extension of stay using Embassy letter at most locations and none that would require more than an account balance letter.

2. You do not need proof of 800k in any bank account if using income/pension and if extension of stay in Thailand it would require funds be in Thailand if using that method.

3. There is no such thing as notarized bank statements in Thailand.

4. You can never obtain an O-A visa in Thailand. What you obtain from Immigration is an extension of stay.

5. You need a re-entry permit to keep any extension of stay alive if you travel outside of Thailand and you use that on entry to obtain your previous permitted to stay until stamp.

6. Change of visa/obtaining non immigrant visa has nothing to do with this thread.

Exactly. In past years I have attached letters from Social Security and from my pension provider to the embassy notarized statement. Last year the immigrations officer didn't bother checking, but in previous years she used a calculator to compare the total I wrote in my sworn statement with the sum of the amounts in the backup letters.

As far as the US Embassy and Thai Immigrations are concerned, the embassy "letter" is a statement that YOU are claiming is true. If the Immigrations officer chooses, he/she can ask for further documentation. And, as has been the case in the past, if Immigrations finds some procedure is being abused in its present form or loopholes are being exploited (or reads the ThaiVisa forum on how to bend Thai laws or regulations) then they will make the procedure more onerous.

Of course, when that happens everyone here will be aghast that the rules keep changing and moan about TIT, when it should be FFT ( Farangs F___ Themselves).

Edited by Suradit

Lopburi...thanks very much for correcting all the misinformation in the earlier post.... I was going to try, but it was too long and had too much wrong.... But I'm glad you set the record straight for everyone's information...

1. There is no need of bank letter for extension of stay using Embassy letter at most locations and none that would require more than an account balance letter.

2. You do not need proof of 800k in any bank account if using income/pension and if extension of stay in Thailand it would require funds be in Thailand if using that method.

3. There is no such thing as notarized bank statements in Thailand.

4. You can never obtain an O-A visa in Thailand. What you obtain from Immigration is an extension of stay.

5. You need a re-entry permit to keep any extension of stay alive if you travel outside of Thailand and you use that on entry to obtain your previous permitted to stay until stamp.

6. Change of visa/obtaining non immigrant visa has nothing to do with this thread.

I went to the Consulate outreach here in Phuket in June and it was 990 Baht for the income statement. I printed out my Thai Bank account statement, but Thai immigration didn't want to look at it. Yes the price went up to $50 for the income statement in July. And yes, you need a re-entry permit if you are leaving Thailand... I had a nice conversation with the immigration officer in Thai and some english. There wasn't anyone there, so he was bored and very friendly. There was a new requirement when using an income statement, a copy of your ATM card. He copied mine for free... Other than the 1,900 Baht for the visa extension. You also need a copy of you passport picture page, your current visa and extension, your departure card (TM6) and your 90 day immigration checkin paper. You may want to bring a copy of your lease. I did, but since I've lived in the same house for years, he didn't want to see that either. Pretty easy. It seems like there's way more paperwork to get a drivers license.