Oa Retirement Renewal

I got my OA Retirement Visa in my own country to come to Thailand. I am now living in Thailand. When it comes up for renewal I will do it on the combination of money in the bank plus income. I know I need a letter from my embassy stating what my income is. Could someone please tell me how long I need the money in my Thai bank account before I apply? Is it two months or three months?

Do you have a multi entry O-A visa where you can obtain one year on any entry? If that is the case you will not have to do the extension of stay process for almost two years if you exit/return to obtain a new one year stay just before the visa expires. You would need a re-entry permit for any travel during that extra year however.

No need to do a visa run if you don't want. I came on an O-A visa, did a couple of 90 day visa runs (actually I just went on holidays in the region) then an immigration officer suggested I just convert it to an extension of stay. Never had to go out again.

As to your original question, no you do not have to leave the money in the bank. Make sure that you get a letter from the bank to say what your bablance is. Update your passbook at the bank, get the letter (if they ask you to return to collect the letter the day after don't withdraw any cash from an ATM before you collect the letter).

BWPattaya

You do not need to do 90 day visa runs if you have a non immigrant O-A visa. It would seem you had a multi entry O visa rather than O-A if you obtained only a 90 day entry stamp. The O-A receives a one year stamp.

I'm in much the same position as the OP, although my Oz Comsuper is above 65k so I dont need to show the bank account. I will be doing a border run for the extra 12 months, but:

when I do have to apply for an extension, would I have to travel to the Embassy in Bangkok (from Phuket) just to get someone to bang a stamp on my original statement from Comsuper, or is there a way to get it done locally?

(I guess the simple answer will be to post it)

Yes, I have a O A Retirement Multi entry visa.

Look at the visa validity date. (one year after you got the visa). Not the date on your permission to stay, the stamp you got at the airport! Leave and re-enter Thailand before the VISA ends and you get a new permission to stay for one year.

• 1 month later...

As it is my first year on a OA Retirement multi-entry visa and I leave and re-enter Thailand just before the date [ 26 Feb 2011 ] I got at the airport on entry. I get another year which you have explained to me. Do I still have to have the 800,000 or combined income or is that waived for a year?. Not sure what people mean when they they say I get a free year. Would appreciate it if you can clarify for me.

Forget that date but enter before the expiration date on your visa (from Consulate) and you will get a new one year permitted to stay stamp. There is no requirement to meet or fee to pay. But any travel with return after the expiration date of your original visa (which you have not provided) will require a re-entry permit to keep the new permitted to stay time alive.