Need Recommendation For New Phone With Big Screen And Key Pad

R123

Please bear with me but I am very simple minded(i.e. a dummy) when it comes to techno stuff but need some recommendation. I currently use a Nokia 6700 classic which provides most of my needs mainly for phone calls and SMS/text messaging etc. However in addition to the usual phone functions I would like to change my phone to one with a larger screen and key pad as amongst other things my eyesight is not so good despite eye glasses. Additionally whilst I have a PC I would like sometimes to surf the internet and do email stuff on my phone including having Wi Fi and other internet connectability.

I am looking for a phone that is simple and sturdy and I am happy to continue with Nokia if they have something suitable.

I use 1-2 Call to top up my current phone and I do not want anything involving monthly payments or similar but just to continue with using 1-2 Call to pay for all the usage on the new phone.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone can give me some recommendations for a new phone and where to buy it; I live in Pattaya.

Many thanks in advance!

:rolleyes:

Edited by R123

Most of the new smartphones with big screens still use tiny fonts, so probably won't help you a lot. Someone else with poor eyesight just asked for a phone with big fonts recently and was given some suggestions, I think in this forum. Try browsing a little and you should be able to find it.

The HTC Wildfire for 11500 Baht sounds like something you should look at. It has the newest Android Software, a 5mp Cam, GPS, WiFi and 3G, in Reviews they mention that the Text is bigger then in most other Phones.

Appreciate all the helpful suggestions above which I am currently researching.

Another recommendation to me is:

Sony Ericsson Xperia.

May I ask :

i) has anyone got any experience of buying and using this phone in Thailand?

ii) would it be suitable for what I am looking for?

Thanks again!

I like Samsung non-smart phones. They have large font options when dialing numbers as well as sending text messages.

This is particularly useful for me when I'm in the car on a bumpy road, it's much easier to read.

The screen on the D880 (http://th.samsungmobile.com/mobile/SGH-D880) is quite large, at 2.3", as well for a non-smartphone.

I guess it's possible with any smartphone to show bigger fonts, right ?

The 2 best smartphones now available are Google Nexus one (or HTC Desire) and iPhone 4.

Samsung ? The TV maker ? Sorry, i didn't know that they where doing mobiles also, hahaha :-) But another company doing only TVs should be Nokia.... :-)

The 2 best smartphones now available are Google Nexus one (or HTC Desire) and iPhone 4.

Samsung ? The TV maker ? Sorry, i didn't know that they where doing mobiles also, hahaha :-) But another company doing only TVs should be Nokia.... :-)

Not for everything. Things like the phone or people apps are fixed, quite small, font sizes. You can change the font size in apps like browsers and book readers.

Samsung? The TV maker ? Sorry, i didn't know that they where doing mobiles also, hahaha :-) But another company doing only TVs should be Nokia.... :-)

Not for everything. Things like the phone or people apps are fixed, quite small, font sizes. You can change the font size in apps like browsers and book readers.

Doesn't the specs (and amazing AMOLED graphic display clarity) of the Samsung Galaxy S phones edge out HTC Desire?

With the new Windows 7 phones (and their 'tile' apps), it looks as though maybe both the Samsung Galaxy S and HTC Desire phones may have to take a back seat!

Does anyone have a clue as to when these new Windows 7 phones will be arriving in Bkk?

After exhaustive research I bought the Samsung Galaxy s, it edged out all the other Android smart phones. Absolutely beautiful!

That sounds good! Where did you buy your Samsung Galaxy S and how much did it cost?

Does your phone have a model name on it, ie, Captivate, Vibrant, etc? Can you show us a picture of it?

Edited by Ahnsahn

After exhaustive research I bought the Samsung Galaxy s, it edged out all the other Android smart phones. Absolutely beautiful!

That sounds good! Where did you buy your Samsung Galaxy S and how much did it cost?

Does your phone have a model name on it, ie, Captivate, Vibrant, etc? Can you show us a picture of it?

The Galaxy S I have is the unlocked international version. I purchased it in the US from cellhut.com for $550 out the door(I think the sale is over thought). What differentiates it from sub-models sold in the USA, i.e. captivate, vibrant, etc, is the it has a mechanical "home" button as the center button at the foot of the screen. You can see it at cellhut. I bought it cause the specs were out of this world and beat about every other Android phone I was considering. The screen is huge and amazing, and plays widescreen movies in just about any format you can throw at it, AVI/Dvix. The onboard music player is also fantastic and even plays Flac files, no need to convert anymore! That is just the tip of the iceberg, do your research and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The Galaxy S I have is the unlocked international version. I purchased it in the US from cellhut.com for $550 out the door(I think the sale is over thought). What differentiates it from sub-models sold in the USA, i.e. captivate, vibrant, etc, is the it has a mechanical "home" button as the center button at the foot of the screen. You can see it at cellhut. I bought it cause the specs were out of this world and beat about every other Android phone I was considering. The screen is huge and amazing, and plays widescreen movies in just about any format you can throw at it, AVI/Dvix. The onboard music player is also fantastic and even plays Flac files, no need to convert anymore! That is just the tip of the iceberg, do your research and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Thanks a million for the Cell hut connect! You're preaching to the choir, here, it's my phone-of-choice, too, if I were to buy at this very moment! What provider did you choose to turn your phone on with? I am trying to hold off from buying my phone until the next generation(?) of phone upgrades - specifically the HTC HD2, HTC Desire and the Windows (I do like it's 'tiles') 7 phones - come out in late Sep - Oct , so I can see how they rate against the Galaxy 2 with it's (then?) Android 2.2 upgrade.

Here are a few links

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/htc/7936271/HTC-Desire-set-for-HD-upgrade-in-October.html

http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2010/03/16/7-reasons-windows-7-phone-iphone-killer/

(check out some of the comments...)

But if I were to have to buy before the hands-on reviews of the new phones come out, it would be a Galaxy S phone!

Nice add. Please show me one thing promoted in it that isn't on Android. :)

.....besides the cool 'Tiles', would you say all the features in this article: http://thenextweb.co...-iphone-killer/ are already in the Samsung Galaxy S (Android) phone?

.....on the other front, couldn't the HTC Desire's proposed upgrade features in this article: http://www.telegraph...in-October.html at least pose a threat to the Samsung Galaxy S unofficial 'Android' crown? In addition to adding a 4.3" display and Android 2.2, if this phone were to also add Super AMOLED, a HDMI output port and the Windows 7 phone's 'Tiles' technology, wouldn't it surpass the Samsung Galaxy S?

Edited by Ahnsahn

Tiles isn't a technology, it's just a (small) part of the UI. If it is really as hot as you seem to think I'm sure there will shortly be new Android launcher out with it.

I don't think you need to wait for Desires upgrade features, you already have HTC EVO as the "crown". Unfortunately it's not GSM so don't work over here, but that's another thing. Anyway, new Android phones will surely change the competitive status.

I think both the Samsung Galaxy X and HTC phones are great. Which one to choose would be down to the individuals taste and requirements.

Edited by Phil Conners

Tiles isn't a technology, it's just a (small) part of the UI. If it is really as hot as you seem to think I'm sure there will shortly be new Android launcher out with it.

.....Thanks for the correction, I didn't know that distinction. The looks but more so the way the 'Tile' interface connects apps is appealing to me,....but waiting for that feature to come to the Androids would mean even a longer wait to buy a phone! :-(

I don't think you need to wait for Desires upgrade features, you already have HTC EVO as the "crown". Unfortunately it's not GSM so don't work over here, but that's another thing. Anyway, new Android phones will surely change the competitive status.

I think both the Samsung Galaxy S and HTC phones are great. Which one to choose would be down to the individuals taste and requirements.

....I think you hit the nail on the head: It's going to boil down to the individuals taste and requirements. I just hope I can wait until the Sep - Oct line of phones are released so I can compare them to the Samsung Galaxy S! :-)

I don't think you need to wait for Desires upgrade features, you already have HTC EVO as the "crown". Unfortunately it's not GSM so don't work over here, but that's another thing. Anyway, new Android phones will surely change the competitive status. ndividuals taste and requirements.

......OK fellows, moving forward a step, I have another question: A friend who is going to LOS has an unlocked GMS iPhone4 which currently has an ATT chip/sim(?). When he changes over a LOS(Asian) chip/sim, we know the phone contacts will be 'lost' (because they are in the 'ATT' chip/sim) but will all his downlowned apps be lost, too, or can everything be transferred from his 'ATT' chip/sim onto his LOS(Asian) chip/sim? In other words, can an unlocked GSM phone be used in both the USA and then LOS (and back in the USA again)?

Thanks a million for the Cell hut connect! You're preaching to the choir, here, it's my phone-of-choice, too, if I were to buy at this very moment! What provider did you choose to turn your phone on with? I am trying to hold off from buying my phone until the next generation(?) of phone upgrades - specifically the HTC HD2, HTC Desire and the Windows (I do like it's 'tiles') 7 phones - come out in late Sep - Oct , so I can see how they rate against the Galaxy 2 with it's (then?) Android 2.2 upgrade.

Answer: I'm using my phone with AT&t, but have just canceled my contract as I will be moving full-time to LOS next month. Still able to download all the android apps borrowing my neighbors wifi. I will probably go with AIS and their data plan when I arrive. Seems they're coming out with newer and better phone every time you turn your head, but I'm confident I got the right one. Anything bigger than a 4" screen is going to have problems fitting in your pocket!

HTC Wildfire is a pretty cool little Android phone which should sell for around or below 10,000 baht. Not sure if it's available in Thailand yet though. Otherwise there's the older HTC Tattoo for around 8,000 baht.

Thanks for the links. That Wildfire looks hot, he-he. If its not on the market yet I can wait a little. Never heard about the brand HTC before but then again I don't know anything about phones.

HTC is one of the biggest manufacturers of smartphones. Often their phones get rebranded by telcos or national interests. They used to sell under another name in Thailand until 2-3 years ago. They also made all the Google phones so far.

I see, do you know if there is a dedicated shop for HTC in Pattaya, central or somewhere else.

Thanks

Sure, buy an iphone if you want Steve Jobs to tell you what you are allowed to use it for. They were innovative years ago but since then practically nothing has changed. Easy to use and you can enlarge the font in messages and mail to massive if you won't you can zoom in when surfing the web 5mp camera face time which is a laugh and they record in hd - Same goes for the upper range Android phones that cost a fraction of an iphone. But that's not the subject.

The best HTC shop in Pattaya is JayPhone in Central IMO. There are also JayPhone shops in both Big-C's and the Sony shop on the ground floor of Tukcom also seems to have a dedicated HTC counter.

Edited by Phil Conners