Own A Motorbike

yea wondering about this too. I'm currently on the 30 day stamp visa, leaving the country every month untill I'm getting the non immigrant visa from Hull in October. My plan was to buy a motorbike today, but I'm not sure if I can on this visa. I'm in Phuket.

You can in Bangkok if you get a 'Cert of Residence' from your embassy. This is simply an official letter stating your address in Thailand that can be used for officialdom. It costs less than 1000b from most embassies. This can be used in to put the green book in your name.

Different Dept of Transports, different rules.

Hey, even different clerks, different rules. :rolleyes:

If someone says no, it's impossible, just go back the next day and you might have another clerk who works under a completely different set of rules. TiT.

30 day stamp, as in Visa-On-Arrival isn't a VISA and therefore you cannot buy a motorcycle with it.... simply impossible even if go every 30 days back to the office...

He is right that you dont have a "VISA" just a permit stamp to be in the country for 30 days therefore the Immigration office cannot issue a "Residency letter" and even when they do they are supposed to be no charge for these legally but it is a thum rule that you give them 200 baht NOT 1000 BAHT !!!!!!!

just a permit stamp to be in the country for 30 days therefore the Immigration office cannot issue a "Residency letter" and even when they do they are supposed to be no charge for these legally but it is a thum rule that you give them 200 baht NOT 1000 BAHT !!!!!!!

Really? The Irish consulate charged 800b. Is it only embassies are not allowed to charge, but consulates can?

Law says you need a non imm visas.. In Practice different regions apply different rules, and often treat registrations differently if done by the dealer (due to contacts)..

So without a non imm, its a sliding scale of chances, from tourist visa to visa exempt stamp.

1000 baht at the Canadian Consulate.

Bought our first two motorbikes well on our 30 day entry visa; needing only the residency certificate and a medical examination letter. One was a private sale completed at the tax/transfer office, and the other was handled by the Kawasaki Dealership; both transactions were simple and all the information required was obtained from the Thai visa licensing sticky post.

I went to immigration today. Told them i wanted to buy a motorbike. Guy filled out some form, made copy of my passport, asked 300thb and he gave me a piece of paper. Went to the Honda shop, showed them the paper and my passport, and they sold me a bike no problem.

I went to immigration today. Told them i wanted to buy a motorbike. Guy filled out some form, made copy of my passport, asked 300thb and he gave me a piece of paper. Went to the Honda shop, showed them the paper and my passport, and they sold me a bike no problem.

What kind of permission to stay do you have in your passport?

Location helps.. Phuket were a bit difficult last time I needed one, demanding not only a lease, but my landlords ID card, or in my case my farang landlords passport, with his current entry stamps and visa, as he is back in europe, thats not possible..

Took a wink from a mate who did some work with them, and suddenly they didnt need any of that.

Yeah it seems everything is different in different places in Thailand. For example, I've read all the threads about opening bank accounts and thought I'd pretty much sussed it out for my next visit, just to make sure I asked my g/f to check with Bangkok Bank in Chiang Saen and she was told I can open one with a marriage certificate, if I don't have one I can't! Never saw that on any of the threads! Just goes to show it depends who you talk to on any given day.

I'm sure if I turn up with the cert they'll change their minds :lol: