Thai Attitudes To Smells

thepanicandthevomit

I am from America and Canada. It has been 30 years since I have been to Europe. When I was there Europeans were stinky. They told me it was because water is expensive, they don't take as many showers nor use deodorant.

I assume it has changed in 30 years and Europeans are no longer stinky.

Although, I lived in Florida and Florida gets a lot of European tourists. A lot of the old ones were stinky. The younger ones tended to be less so.

So someone tell me who is a European and North American traveler. As a general rule do Europeans now smell the same as North Americans? And what about Brits as opposed to North Americans?

This thread is about Thai attitudes towards smells, specifically farang Vs their own. It's been derailed by those that can't read enough, ok?

I understand that. My thought is Thais did not get the attitude about smells from reading cartoon books. I think it was founded or is founded in fact. Hence my question about Europeans. In tourist areas in the South, Americans also have an attitude about the way Europeans smell. If I see a guy wearing a speedo with black socks and sandals in Florida I won't sit near him in a beach bar.

Edited by mark45y

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am from America and Canada. It has been 30 years since I have been to Europe. When I was there Europeans were stinky. They told me it was because water is expensive, they don't take as many showers nor use deodorant.

Although, I lived in Florida and Florida gets a lot of European tourists. A lot of the old ones were stinky. The younger ones tended to be less so.

So someone tell me who is a European and North American traveler. As a general rule do Europeans now smell the same as North Americans? And what about Brits as opposed to North Americans?

This thread is about Thai attitudes towards smells, specifically farang Vs their own. It's been derailed by those that can't read enough, ok?

I understand that. My thought is Thais did not get the attitude about smells from reading cartoon books. I think it was founded or is founded in fact. Hence my question about Europeans.

Not sure what Europeans have to do with this.

The way I see it is that Thais in general do not like Farang and as such they do not like Farang smells.

You can take a shower five times a day and they still not like your smell and that's all there is to it really.

I understand that. My thought is Thais did not get the attitude about smells from reading cartoon books. I think it was founded or is founded in fact. Hence my question about Europeans.

The way I see it is that Thais in general do not like Farang and as such they do not like Farang smells.

You can take a shower five times a day and they still not like your smell and that's all there is to it really.

Balderdash. I work with Thai's all day long in non air conditioned offices. Thais don't like people who smell bad. I don't smell bad so no problem. A Thai comes who smells bad and they avoid him.

I also take a song tau home from work. Poor people ride song taus. They avoid anyone who smells bad and when the person is not looking make facial gestures about it.

Edited by mark45y

Lucky you Mark. There are always exceptions I guess :)

I have been traveling the same route almost every day for three years. Probably 50 different song tau drivers do the route. 20 to 30 minutes costs 20 baht. If the back of the song tau is full they always ask me to sit with them up front. It is because they see me daily and because I am an old guy. They don't assume I smell bad. Perhaps it would be different in a tourist area.

A few years back I was working with an American engineer and the poor guy suffered from an allergie of deodorant and in the end we had to let him go as the Thai's were puking their guts out every afternoon.

Edited by stander

Lucky you Mark. There are always exceptions I guess :)

I have been traveling the same route almost every day for three years. Probably 50 different song tau drivers do the route. 20 to 30 minutes costs 20 baht. If the back of the song tau is full they always ask me to sit with them up front. It is because they see me daily and because I am an old guy. They don't assume I smell bad. Perhaps it would be different in a tourist area.

You could be right for all I know.

On the other hand Thais are a social people and if you really smelled that good the Song Tau driver would’ve wanted to share that smell among the other passengers as a sign of good luck in which case someone else would’ve moved from the back to the front allowing you to sit in the back.

Anyway I’m just rumbling here so good luck on a happy smell :rolleyes:

Hehehe this is the first time I've been seen as a thai apologist. Why is it so hard to understand that if you are too lazy to use proper hygiene habits you will piss off everyone in the world?

Erm, I think it was a Thai that was "too lazy to use proper hygiene habits" that caused the problem in the first place!

Sadly, you don't appear to read too well, and the less said about comprehension ability the better.

And that Thai pissed you off right?! Rightfully so, reason I avoid street food, they dont know the first thing about health standards or have common sense when it comes to keeping food healthy for serving. Eating on the street is like playing Russian roulette, you win some... and then you die (or wish you were dead). But nice try at taking the focus off you and your lazy hygiene habits. JUST SHOWER! And wear clean clothes!

From my experience? No. Europeans still seem to appear this way.....odorous.

I am happy I have allergies, can't smell all that much, probably why I like spicy foods. We aren't dogs, folks, no need to sniff each others butts, at least strangers.

It is a modern obsession, and a symptom of a paranoid society. Some of the responses to this thread have been truly frightening, and very revealing. .

It's happily modern, not an obsession but a civilized expectation, and a symptom of an enlightened society, hardly paranoid, in which the importance of good hygiene is understood; in which anyone has access to soap, water, and deodorant; and in which people are accustomed to being free from the need to smell foul body odors and have learned to enjoy that freedom.

And Thai culture is particularly sensitive on this issue. So? If you don't like it, leave, conform, or be subjected to negative reaction.

The responses here have been entirely reasonable and offered solutions as to what to do in the case you cited--but you simply refuse to accept them. Me, I would have taken such solutions rather than expect Thais to change their culture. The latter is always a self-defeating position to take here.

Seems there's no point at all to discuss this matter with you. Think what you like then.

It's happily modern, not an obsession but a civilized expectation, and a symptom of an enlightened society, hardly paranoid, in which the importance of good hygiene is understood; in which anyone has access to soap, water, and deodorant; and in which people are accustomed to being free from the need to smell foul body odors and have learned to enjoy that freedom.

And Thai culture is particularly sensitive on this issue. So? If you don't like it, leave, conform, or be subjected to negative reaction.

The responses here have been entirely reasonable and offered solutions as to what to do in the case you cited--but you simply refuse to accept them. Me, I would have taken such solutions rather than expect Thais to change their culture. The latter is always a self-defeating position to take here.

Seems there's no point at all to discuss this matter with you. Think what you like then.

Well said! Kudos!

^Oh yeah us Europeans are so smelly and dirty................... thats why we have

so many more diseases than Asian or Africa!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, be sure of what you speak of before committing to unlearned and whimsical statements. Check your factual content first.

Hehehe this is the first time I've been seen as a thai apologist. Why is it so hard to understand that if you are too lazy to use proper hygiene habits you will piss off everyone in the world?

Erm, I think it was a Thai that was "too lazy to use proper hygiene habits" that caused the problem in the first place!

Sadly, you don't appear to read too well, and the less said about comprehension ability the better.

And that Thai pissed you off right?! Rightfully so, reason I avoid street food, they dont know the first thing about health standards or have common sense when it comes to keeping food healthy for serving. Eating on the street is like playing Russian roulette, you win some... and then you die (or wish you were dead). But nice try at taking the focus off you and your lazy hygiene habits. JUST SHOWER! And wear clean clothes!

Hmm. Sadly you don't understand this at all.

However, I'll tell you something about street food - I wouldn't touch the stuff for the first year I was there, through fear of poisoning. I only ate at good restaurants, or fast food joints. I was sick ten times that year. On the tenth occasion I was sick, I distinctly remember thinking to myself that I'll only ever eat street food from now, on the basis that i might as well throw-up cheap food as waste cash heaving restaurant grub. I wasn't sick once eating street food.

I am happy I have allergies, can't smell all that much, probably why I like spicy foods. We aren't dogs, folks, no need to sniff each others butts, at least strangers.

It is a modern obsession, and a symptom of a paranoid society. Some of the responses to this thread have been truly frightening, and very revealing. .

Your post says it all, with emphasis on the last sentence, Well Written/Said!

Cheers::D

Balderdash. I work with Thai's all day long in non air conditioned offices. Thais don't like people who smell bad. I don't smell bad so no problem. A Thai comes who smells bad and they avoid him.

I also take a song tau home from work. Poor people ride song taus. They avoid anyone who smells bad and when the person is not looking make facial gestures about it.

Do they aggressively sniff at the thai?

I shall. You are paranoid and obsessional. I recommend you - along with many of the other what can only be described as fascists on this thread - get help for your affliction.

^Oh yeah us Europeans are so smelly and dirty................... thats why we have

so many more diseases than Asian or Africa!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, be sure of what you speak of before committing to unlearned and whimsical statements. Check your factual content first.

Is Europe more disease prone than Africa or Asia then?

Another who gets it.

I agree we need to accept the different Thai ways as we are in Thailand. We ain't gonna change their ways which quite frankly appear quite finicky and at the same time hypocritical (watch as many super clean Thais can enjoy a meal over a smelly open sewer). Sure, adjust to avoid problems and social conflict the best we can, but that is not the same thing as trying to become like the Thais in their smell fetishes or trying to promote their ways as the best way if we don't actually believe they are the best way. For example, yes they will make very rude facial gestures when encountering what they think is a smelly person. That is rude, why would you promote that as a desirable behavior? In many cases the Thai smell thing does become racist. Try suggesting going out for Indian food to a bunch of Thai people and see how many people bunch up their nose at the suggestion (often mentioning Indian PEOPLE). I will never condone such responses as good behavior. Not all Thai ways are good ways, we are allowed to make judgments, no need to check our brains or values at the airport.

Edited by Jingthing

I agree we need to accept the different Thai ways as we are in Thailand. We ain't gonna change their ways which quite frankly appear quite finicky and at the same time hypocritical (watch as many super clean Thais can enjoy a meal over a smelly open sewer). Sure, adjust to avoid problems and social conflict the best we can, but that is not the same thing as trying to become like the Thais in their smell fetishes or trying to promote their ways as the best way if we don't actually believe they are the best way. For example, yes they will make very rude facial gestures when encountering what they think is a smelly person. That is rude, why would you promote that as a desirable behavior?

Do you think dropping a smelly fart is desirable behaviour?..................then to have body odour is exactly the same surely?

The Japanese are especially sensitive to smells, particularly body odor. A close Japanese friend once told me that westerners (even the clean ones!) smelled "like butter" which is a repulsive smell to most Japanese. Right after a morning shower and donning a clean set of clothes, I would board the Tokyo trains or subway, and sit down next to a Japanese who would invariably get up and move to another seat. It must have been the butter syndrome. :blink:

I agree we need to accept the different Thai ways as we are in Thailand. We ain't gonna change their ways which quite frankly appear quite finicky and at the same time hypocritical (watch as many super clean Thais can enjoy a meal over a smelly open sewer). Sure, adjust to avoid problems and social conflict the best we can, but that is not the same thing as trying to become like the Thais in their smell fetishes or trying to promote their ways as the best way if we don't actually believe they are the best way. For example, yes they will make very rude facial gestures when encountering what they think is a smelly person. That is rude, why would you promote that as a desirable behavior?

Do you think dropping a smelly fart is desirable behaviour?..................then to have body odour is exactly the same surely?

Hey dude, read my post -- Sure, adjust to avoid problems and social conflict the best we can.

So, try not to have a wet fart and try to stay clean as best you can, that was implied. However, people do sweat in the course of the day; also if there is something about our different racial smells and or diet smells that disgust some Thais due to their conditioning, there is only so much that we could reasonably do, don't you agree?

Edited by Jingthing

There are times when you cannot avoid smelling. In the days when I worked on the farm for example I stank when boarding the bus.........no worries for the passengers though, I always sat next to my friend who worked at the timber yard and got on at the stop before me.......he always stank of creosote......and masked my farm smell.....:D

But I did make an effort and kept overalls at work so I tried!

The Japanese are especially sensitive to smells, particularly body odor. A close Japanese friend once told me that westerners (even the clean ones!) smelled "like butter" which is a repulsive smell to most Japanese. Right after a morning shower and donning a clean set of clothes, I would board the Tokyo trains or subway, and sit down next to a Japanese who would invariably get up and move to another seat. It must have been the butter syndrome. :blink:

Thanks for that. So it's generally an asian thing then? I had a few beers once with a nigerian chap in vietnam, and he told me he gets sniffed at on a daily basis in china, his home for the last decade. He was a rich and successful businessman, who had a chinese family and a workforce in the hundreds. He said all black people are routinely sniffed at in china; white people too, but less so as they're assumed to be wealthy.

There is surely a racism aspect here. Many Thais are conditioned to believe certain races are smellier, so they are indeed more likely to seek confirmation of their prejudices by sniffing people of those races, so they are certainly more likely to discover some smelly individuals with their obsessive sniffing behavior, thus creating a vicious cycle of confirming racist stereotypes.

People are treating this as a light issue, but it really isn't. Any superficial study of racism across cultures will turn up enumerable examples of the demonized race being described as SMELLY.

Edited by Jingthing

Do you think dropping a smelly fart is desirable behaviour?

It is desirable because the body produces it naturally. The mountains of waste or levels of general filth in and around food areas/people in thailand is not.