If You'Re Listening To Music Now... Whats Playing? 4

Jockstar

On 3/30/2018 at 8:37 PM, tukkytuktuk said:

Karaoke song for you Andrew. You'll be your neighbours best friend after this. They'll bring fruit round and wai you! Ha, ha, ha

I like the protest, empathized by the equally protesting music.

19 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

A bit gloomy. If he's got a grand piano, he will fly.

Not Now John

Edited by Slaps
  • Like 1

I was living in Russia during the second Chechen war, and although I was at the opposite end of the country from the conflict, the city I lived in, my friends and colleagues were all gripped by the palpable tension of a nation at war, especially with the rising death count of young Russian conscripts and the seemingly relentless terrorist attacks taking place across the country. 

B-2 are a Russian band that seemed to capture that mood of the time with this song, Polkovniko Nikto Ne Pishet, which translates as Nobody Writes to the Colonel.  It was made especially popular by being the soundtrack to he film Brat-2, the sequel to the hugely successful Brat (Brother). 

• Sad 1

I first heard Dolphin in the back of a taxi but my Russian wasn't good enough at the time to be able to get the details of the artist from the taxi driver so for months afterwards I was trying to describe this downbeat Radiohead-like guy to my colleagues but nobody knew what I was going on about - until another chance play in a taxi, but this time with a Russian who told me who it was. 

10 hours ago, bannork said:

Apologies RR, this was the only number that brought the USSR to mind in my younger days.

I was thinking about posting some songs that are classic opening tracks to great albums - and it doesn't get any better than Back In The USSR opening the White Album

• Like 1

So - classic opening tracks to classic albums. How about Is This It, the opening track to the album of the same name, from the Strokes...

Loved this opening track from Elton and the way it transfers to the second track, they are rarely played separately !!
  • Like 1