Another Air Asia Fare Scam!

ricardofel

Air Asia has come out with another promotion beginning 10 August for LOW fares. Good luck finding any of their LOW fares. They want to book customers before the new Thai Tiger Airline is launched so they have devised an airfare scam to get you to book now for 2011....good luck finding their lowest rate!

Really?

Their past "scams" have given me, and I am sure many others some very good deals. This past year, wife and I have flown to Guangdong in China via Bangkok from Chiang Mai for 5700฿ return the 2 of us.

Earlier in the the year Chiang Mai/KL return for 2 total 3000฿ and many other good deals in the past.

Scams-bring em on!

Yeah they got me good and proper in May this year, instead of the usual B1,200+ fare from Chaing Rai to Bangkok, they charged me B500, bastards won't catch me out like that again!

Agree, picked up many of their past quick/cheap deals.

It is certainly the luck of the draw.

Several years back my son was at school in Singapore and flew home to Bkk every second week-end. On two different occasions we were quick enough to grab 4 or 5 flights within the overall time of the promotions. From memory one deal was 199Baht and the other 399Baht.

They get my vote.

As usual, plenty of overhead when booking (300 + for using a credit card, luggage, seat assignment etc) but still a good deal if you can put up with their clunky website. Just took me the best part of three hours to book CNX - BKK - SGN with multiple rejections of booking at the final stage (after seat assignment), a trip to the airport to see if a booking that stalled during payment was in fact made and even then I've managed to leave a checked bag off one of the legs. Still, round trip for three for about 7000 baht is a good deal if you can cope with the frustration of the experience.

post-40471-008129700 1281415454_thumb.jp

Not much help...

Edited by Greenside

I wonder what the percentage of no shows is 9-15 months after booking due to changing plans, forgetfulness and a myriad of other reasons? How can so many book so far in advance?

Good point, I booked 4 tickets Chiang Rai to BKK return for next May, only because they were, in total, less than B1,400 I may or may not be able to make those flights, but now it's something I'll be aiming to do as usually that would have cost me 10 or 11,000

Yes I got caught by this scam, this morning I booked a number of return flights from Bangkok to Udon Thani, yes I know this is the Chiang Mai forum, each ticket cost me 290 Baht for the return flight, including the 100 Baht fee for using a credit card, I don't check luggage or reserve seats.

On Monday we are flying to Bali for 800 Baht return.

Long may these scams continue.

I get the feeling that these promotions are geared towards flights within Thailand because as I stated in the other thread currently on this forum, the promotional fares to China for 2 is 12,738 THB to 16,950 THB - that's having to either come back in 6 days or wait 3 weeks to come back to get those prices. The former is just as pointless as the latter and those prices are hardly a bargain in my opinion. But it's good that people are getting such good bargains within Thailand. I always take the train or bus when I travel within Thailand.

SCAMS...no i don't think so...i have booked 6 return tickets for BKK-CEI-BKK for travel in May and July, that's right total 12 tickets, paying only 343 baht each.....and another 6 return tickets for SIN-BKK-SIN paying about 2200 baht each...

No doubt i will not get any refund if i cancel my plans...which i have had before....but this is no scam... :rolleyes::D :jap:

Really?

Their past "scams" have given me, and I am sure many others some very good deals. This past year, wife and I have flown to Guangdong in China via Bangkok from Chiang Mai for 5700฿ return the 2 of us.

Earlier in the the year Chiang Mai/KL return for 2 total 3000฿ and many other good deals in the past.

Scams-bring em on!

Yeah I don't know where these people come from thinking there is some sort of scam when even after taxes which AA has no control over nor airport fees the price is so ridiculously cheap to the point of disbelief and temptation to travel when finances are tight.. Show me another airline that will fly you cheaper, so how can one claim it a scam??? The mind boggles....

Based on the posts here it seems that this thread isn't going the way you'd expected huh?? Amazing what some people consider a scam.....

Edited by WarpSpeed

even then I've managed to leave a checked bag off one of the legs.

You can add the bag later, with these offers I never check bags or reserve seats until much later, just in case I know I'm not going to be able to make the flight.

Given the "convenience charge" for using a credit card to pay for the bag, I wonder if it's it worth adding it online.

No doubt i will not get any refund if i cancel my plans...which i have had before....but this is no scam...

Only once have I not actually flown on one of these cheapo flights once I had booked and that was for a flight to Singapore last year, for that booking the fare was 0 Baht so all we had paid was 2,800 Baht being the Airport Tax, there was no "convenience fee" in those days.

Out of devilment I thought I would ask for it back, I sent three emails, none of which were responded to. Travelling through Suvarnabhumi a couple of weeks later I asked at their counter, the young lady told me it was a waste of time sending email, she took all the details and the 2,800 Baht was refunded a couple of weeks later, without any deduction, I was quite a happy bunny but I am easily pleased.

Given the "convenience charge" for using a credit card to pay for the bag, I wonder if it's it worth adding it online.

Yes it is, you only pay the "convienience fee" once, when you book.

If you want to add things like baggage, seat requests and meals later on you don't pay the fee again.

I get the feeling that these promotions are geared towards flights within Thailand because as I stated in the other thread currently on this forum, the promotional fares to China for 2 is 12,738 THB to 16,950 THB - that's having to either come back in 6 days or wait 3 weeks to come back to get those prices. The former is just as pointless as the latter and those prices are hardly a bargain in my opinion. But it's good that people are getting such good bargains within Thailand. I always take the train or bus when I travel within Thailand.

As I mentioned on the other thread

CNX-KL then KL to London Stanstead 8,576 baht including tax, For April 2011 isn't bad

As I mentioned on the other thread

CNX-KL then KL to London Stanstead 8,576 baht including tax, For April 2011 isn't bad

Yep, I'm doing that journey late April 2011 and I'm breaking the journey for a couple of nights to stay with friends in KL.

For me, 10 K from Chiang Mai (seat with extra legroom) - Stanstead, is a steal and it's also very convenient for Cambridge UK.

I've done the journey before (and cheaper) and it was perfectly fine.

Reading comprehension helps.

These deals are always worded in a way that makes them impossible to trace... "from" 99 baht - doesn't mean anything. The reason I never get them, and have actually stopped paying attention to them is the "fly on" and "book on" clauses. Usually, there's limited seats, and you have to fly on a date that's many months from now, and book within 2 weeks of the offer. With my schedule, that's completely impossible. And I am sure they're banking on many people booking long in advance, then not showing up. I had a 1000 baht flight to HK at some point - amazing. But by the time I was supposed to fly, I couldn't. So in the end, wasted money.

The airlines keep statistics on this kind of stuff, and I am sure they know full well that a relatively large percentage isn't going to show when booking 6 months in advance. There must be a curve.... people who book the same day will show up 100%, people who book tomorrow, probably 99%, and so on, all the way down to 6 months in advance. This then determines the level of overbooking the airline can engage in. It's all math.

Anyway, the super great deals are just airline marketing. Not a scam.

A Scam?

I have booked tickets next May to Kuala Lumpur - Bali - Hong Kong - Bkk for 2 people and the total sum is 3500 x 2

Thats 80% cheaper than standard fares so Im very happy :lol:

I booked CNX-BKK-RGN return for 914b and paid through my SCB acct , so no extra charge. I added the baggage (1 bag per flight) for 828b once the departure date came closer. I booked these flights months ago. I do understand that some peoples lives can be very busy such that they can not make plans in advance. A friend said to me "how can you book so far in advance, I don't know what I will be doing that far in the future." I replied that if they bought a plane ticket then they would know what they are doing on that day in the future.

The latest scam is their free hotel rooms from AirAsiaGo.com. I got 14 "free" nights and those buggers charged me 10b per night. They did goof on one though and I only paid 1.18b, so I guess I got even in the end.

I am looking forward to my trip to Phuket next week 732b for airfare and hotel. I love those buggers!

I booked CNX-BKK-RGN return for 914b and paid through my SCB acct , so no extra charge. I added the baggage (1 bag per flight) for 828b once the departure date came closer. I booked these flights months ago. I do understand that some peoples lives can be very busy such that they can not make plans in advance. A friend said to me "how can you book so far in advance, I don't know what I will be doing that far in the future. I replied that if they bought a plane ticket then they would know what they are doing on that day in the future.

The latest scam is their free hotel rooms from AirAsiaGo.com. I got 14 "free" nights and those buggers charged me 10b per night. They did goof on one though and I only paid 1.18b, so I guess I got even in the end.

I am looking forward to my trip to Phuket next week 732b for airfare and hotel. I love those buggers!

Can't argue with logic like that.