Lack Of Customer Service In The Land Of Smirks

IAMSOBAD

Today I took an ad to Foodmart on Thappraya Road to post on the outside board. The security guard told me the board was full. The day before the cashier told me the requirements to place the ad and said bring it we will post it. So I asked to speak to the manager. All of a sudden I was surrounded by 2 guards and a rude and screaming manager. He told me...you are Stupid Farang. He said the guard told you.....NO! I told him the cashier told me to bring it! He tried to get in my face with his 2 back up guards and called me Stupid Farang again. I asked who is your boss and he said he is Australian and you cannot talk to him. He also refused to tell me his name. I have spent thousands of baht in that store. Never again! Anyone know the true owner? Also ...Villa and Friendship gladly posted my ad.

Ever since the red shirt riots. I have seen so much hatred toward very friendly and polite farang in BKK and Pattaya.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you and that sounds crazy. I don't like Foodmart anyway, the prices are outrageous compared to Pattaya stores. They are milking the market as they know they don't have any competition in Jomtien. We really need a more credible food market in Jomtien, Friendship would be great, Foodland also, even Tops would beat Foodmart by a mile.

I had a milder experience last week, but still funny bad. At the movies at Central, an usher was checking tickets for some reason upon entry with a flashlight. I sort of waved it at him long enough to see it was for the correct time and show but kept moving. So he screamed after me loudly and rudely HEY FARANG WHERE YOU GOING? Didn't bother to stop or answer as it was pretty obvious where I was going. At first I was angry to be treated rudely that way, especially the FARANG part of it which objectifies us as something other than full human beings, but then I felt how funny that was. He sounded upset, getting upset in return only gives credit to that kind of idiocy.

Edited by Jingthing

Think you need to calm down.

No big deal.

Go back, ask how to do and wait, yes wait.

They will try and help you.

All will be fine.

Getting pissed off gets you what you want, real quick, !!!!! Not :jap:

I have to say , having been involved in the service side of the tourism industry for many many years that in the places that deal with many tourists (ie pattaya, samui etc) you are going to find that the bad mannered rude SOBs who treated the guy like dirt before you got there has tainted the good feeling that these people once held towards foreigners.

Edited by sbk

in the places that deal with many tourists (ie pattaya, samui etc) you are going to find that the bad mannered rude SOBs who treated the guy like dirt before you got there has tainted the good feeling that these people once held towards foreigners.

EXACTLY!

17577-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Grumpy-Old-Caucasian-Man-Leaning-On-A-Cane-And-Flipping-Someone-The-Bird.jpg

What is Foodmart?

I can't share those very negative experiences but in general ppl are not as friendly compared with 10 yrs ago. Customer care was never a strength in Thailand. Once you paid the games is over! In msny cases the bad service is not done intentionally but purely because people are lazy and do not want to deal with problems.

I have to say , having been involved in the service side of the tourism industry for many many years that in the places that deal with many tourists (ie pattaya, samui etc) you are going to find that the bad mannered rude SOBs who treated the guy like dirt before you got there has tainted the good feeling that these people once held towards foreigners.

So may we take it that the training for those in the Thai service or tourist industries is that if a foreigner p1sses you off you take it out big time on the next ingrate that shows his/her face?

If a Thai p1sses him off would he go on a rampage against all Thais?

It is tough working for the general public in any way, shape or form (I couldn't do it so I am not in that business) but the kind of behaviour reported in the OP is unacceptable. Yes people in that business snap, take the case of the American airline steward this week, but there's no excuse for it.

So may we take it that the training for those in the Thai service or tourist industries is that if a foreigner p1sses you off you take it out big time on the next ingrate that shows his/her face?

I think that she was talking about multitudes of nasty, rude farangs. There may be "no excuse" for it, but who can really blame them after lots of constant abuse?

You should report this to Stephen the proprietor - he is Australian and a very reasonable guy. His office is in the back though it is often he's not there. His Thai wife/gf is always there - but I'm not sure if she'll respond to your complaint.

If the owner is your typical "true blue" Aussie he won't be very happy to hear what happened. Aussies are normally very friendly people.

I think that she was talking about multitudes of nasty, rude farangs. There may be "no excuse" for it, but who can really blame them after lots of constant abuse?

Now now UG, don't ruin his fun. While it seemed pretty clear to me and to you that was what I was saying its much less interesting than willfully misinterpreting my post. ;)

Edited by sbk

Customer service is lacking all around. I lived in one of the LK properties and had awful service. It is a big company, so I was quite surprised with the total lack of service.

1. Receptionist tried to steal 11,000 baht upon checking in by taking the deposit money and not recording it properly on the receipt.

2. One week later, same person told me that she was single and looking for a farang boyfriend. Later, I witnessed her kissing and massaging her Thai man/boyfriend motorbike man and eating

together daily. (Entrapment, Lying and trying to take more money).

3. I was tossed out of the fitness center and told to get out rudely. This was a sister property that allows residents of other LK properties to use their facilities free of charge.

Overall, very upset with service in Thailand. But, my friend told me to lower my expectations to zero and that would help to offset any future issues. There is a feeling that the more you pay, the better the service will be.

However, in Thailand, this is not true. Don't expect better service or good service and then if you do receive good service, you will be pleasantly surprised and appreciative.

I had a milder experience last week, but still funny bad. At the movies at Central, an usher was checking tickets for some reason upon entry with a flashlight. I sort of waved it at him long enough to see it was for the correct time and show but kept moving. So he screamed after me loudly and rudely HEY FARANG WHERE YOU GOING? Didn't bother to stop or answer as it was pretty obvious where I was going. At first I was angry to be treated rudely that way, especially the FARANG part of it which objectifies us as something other than full human beings, but then I felt how funny that was. He sounded upset, getting upset in return only gives credit to that kind of idiocy.

why didn't you let him inspect it?..............instead of just waving it at him.

sounds like the trigger for his short fuse.

why didn't you let him inspect it?..............instead of just waving it at him.

He had enough time to see the ticket. The ticket was already fully checked and torn at the original entry point. I see your point, perhaps I should have humored this petty enforcer, but there was no rationale for shouting HEY FARANG at me, a paying customer. That is all.

in the places that deal with many tourists (ie pattaya, samui etc) you are going to find that the bad mannered rude SOBs who treated the guy like dirt before you got there has tainted the good feeling that these people once held towards foreigners.

EXACTLY!

17577-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Grumpy-Old-Caucasian-Man-Leaning-On-A-Cane-And-Flipping-Someone-The-Bird.jpg

Ahhhh hugh gee, ur a crunny funt. Now come and clean the coffee off my keyboard :lol:

What is Foodmart?

I can't share those very negative experiences but in general ppl are not as friendly compared with 10 yrs ago. Customer care was never a strength in Thailand. Once you paid the games is over! In msny cases the bad service is not done intentionally but purely because people are lazy and do not want to deal with problems.

when we lived in Jomtien, we used to refer to foodmart as Harrods

its just as pricy and the staff are equally testy

they don't deserve to have any business

Edited by timekeeper

What is Foodmart?

when we lived in Jomtien, we used to refer to foodmart as Harrods

its just as pricy and the staff are equally testy

they don't deserve to have any business

I totally agree, but if they were starved out of business other more legitimate markets may be discouraged about the potential in Jomtien for a real supermarket.

Now now UG, don't ruin his fun. While it seemed pretty clear to me and to you that was what I was saying its much less interesting than willfully misinterpreting my post. ;)

Funny how the word "misinterpretation" gets used in so many defences. All I did was to point out one interpretation, just because you disagree does not make you right.

People enter into public service all over the world and have to deal with ar5eholes sometimes on an hourly basis, like my sister at the Job Centre. They are trained to deal with awkward customers politely and firmly not that, according to his version of events, the OP was awkward. Don't forget many on this forum consider the farang word to be the equivalent of n*gg*r especially used in the context as set out in the OP.

I can only say.. if you can't stand the heat.. stay out of the kitchen.

If it really happened how this guy described then its real bad. If the guy was obnoxious / rude ect then such a response might be warranted ( i still think its bad but I would not let someone walk all over me but then again i would not take a job in the service industry).

Phil, its my post, I am not "interpreting it" in my way, I am posting what I mean to say. You misinterpreted what I said. You can choose your interpretation all you want, that doesn't make it correct.

Fact is people get burned out in the service industry due to an endless supply of rude, overbearing, demanding people. And unfortunately, its often the less awful ones that bear the brunt of that frustration. And while its easy enough to tell them to get another job its not necessarily so easy to do since service jobs are rather more available than other jobs.

And yes, I agree, if you can't deal with people in a polite way then you shouldn't be in the job, but I also know that everyone has bad days. And not everyone is completely honest about their behavior.

Edited by sbk

Fact...I shopped at Foodmart at leAst 4 times a week for the past 12 months.

Fact...I was polite and not rude but was called stupid farang by the manager and was cornered by him and 2 guards. All of this Outside of the store. Many witnesses. In fa t one Russian lady told me she was so upset by the Thai manager and guards that she was scared to shop there now.

Fact...i have lived in Bkk 4 years and Pattaya 1 year. I have tons of Thai friends who told me they also see a visible growing of hatred of farang since the political riots by a certain color ...shirt people who consider farang the same as Bkk elite! That is my point of telling what really happened. Foodmart lost a loyal customer because of their manager and his thugs.

I have tons of Thai friends who told me they also see a visible growing of hatred of farang since the political riots by a certain color ...shirt people who consider farang the same as Bkk elite!

I'm completely surrounded by them in CM and they are as polite as ever. :whistling:

He had enough time to see the ticket. The ticket was already fully checked and torn at the original entry point. I see your point, perhaps I should have humored this petty enforcer, but there was no rationale for shouting HEY FARANG at me, a paying customer. That is all.

The way you waved the ticket at him could have been interpreted as an arrogant gesture. The fact you're a foreigner didn't help matters. Not everyone doing a badly paid job has a high tolerance for being disrespected. Management is responsible for giving these staff a particular job to do, so they don't have a choice in the matter.