Thaivisa To Issue Thailand Expat Gold Card

Dear Valued Thaivisa Members,

Thaivisa is in the first stages of designing a special Thailand Expat Gold Card with VISA/MasterCard functionality.. Your input is requested as this card/program will offer as many features possible for you (membership cost is to be determined). This is not an attempt to duplicate the Thailand Elite Card, we want it designed by the Expats for the Expats of Thailand.

Here are some features, members please add to the list, feedback and comments appreciated.

1. SMS messaging worldwide from the forum

2. SMS Thailand News Alerts option (breaking news)

3. 1000 MB [email protected] email account  POP3 and WebMail

4. Private access to Card member information website, newsletters and forum

5. Travel and Airline discounts (THAI Airways, Bangkok Airways etc); Royal Orchid Mileage Plus

6. Restaurant Discounts

7. Hotel Discounts (Special Member World-Wide Hotel Booking Online)

8. Real Estate Sources

9. Visa & Business Consultations (Sunbelt Asia)

10. 24/7 Emergency Law service hotline (Sunbelt Asia Attorney)

11. Business/Work Permit/Startup Packages (Sunbelt Asia Attorney)

12. Health Care/Dental/Insurance Discounts, VIP service (BUPA, AIA)

13. Golf/Fitness Discounts

14. VISA/Master Card/Bank/ATM/Commerce Services

15. Car/pickup/motocycle rental discounts <added>

16. Internet access (Dial up/ADSL/Satellite) <added>

17. Discounted mobile/telephone call packages <added>

18. Sports activities, bowling etc. <added>

19. Currency exchange services, bank services (internet banking, on-line statements etc) <added>

20. Preferential rates with Indo-siam.com, SunbeltAsia.com <added>

...  And much more... Please post your ideas!

Thailand Expat Card sample:

card3.jpg

Note: No Thai work permit required - No credit check ups - No credit reporting

Some of the mentioned sponsors and partners are still under negotiations. We reserve the rights to change card functionality, design etc.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some quick suggestions...

EGV - Grand Cineplex ticket discount or a deal for snacks.

Thai phone-based translator

Discount for your children at an International School, 1rst 3 months or something.

Issue an expat guide / book / calender or newsletter with the card.

Reserved seating, waive cover charge at CM2 Disco.

Is there a mobile Car wash and detailing service you can strike a deal with.

Laundry / dry cleaning pick-up and return service?

Is there a popular chain of barber shops? Free shampoo rinse or manicure with haircut. Extra 30 min of massage at a Thai traditional massage place.

A psychiatrist specializing in expats?

It might be worth thinking about a silver card for "beginners/tourists" and a gold card for long-term expats. This might help to sort out the apples from the pears in many ways.

Visa levels

-------------

standard - entry level

gold - pretty standard aswell these days, dont need a high income, just a steady income, a few more perks available ie: trael insurance

platinum - high salary individuals,business travellers, higher limit, more perks etc..

infinite - high net worth invididuals , invite only etc...

It might be worth thinking about a silver card for "beginners/tourists" and a gold card for long-term expats. This might help to sort out the apples from the pears in many ways.

Visa levels

-------------

standard - entry level

gold - pretty standard aswell these days, dont need a high income, just a steady income, a few more perks available ie: trael insurance

platinum - high salary individuals,business travellers, higher limit, more perks etc..

Great ... we can all stoke our ego's.... :D

Don't take this the wrong way... but it's a stupid suggestion.. :o

totster :D

It sounds like a good idea. However, I have been living here for about 10 years now and presently have an AMX and a Thai MAstercard. For my purpose I require that somehow the use of the card whether against pre-paid funds or on loan allows me to establish a good credit standing. I would like to purchase a house here someday but will need a loan and / or mortgage to make things happen. Will the card allow me to establish credit through it's use?

T. Rossetti

Huski,

I worked briefly with the govenment sponsored organization that developed the Elite Card concept. Despite adding benefits up the ying yang...from 5 year visit visa's to free daily massage, the consumer offtake was way under target (i.e., tens of thousands rather than hundreds of thousands). The Elite card does not offer any credit facility and perhaps that's where it begins to fail.

My suggestion: card benefits can get old real quick low interest rates are likely to make the card popular for longer. Marketing by committee can sometimes leave you with the preverbial Camel. An ecconomical Expat credit card with quality benefits is in itself a fine idea for Thailand and beyond, be careful not to kill the fatted "Camel."

Making the card non-baht currency will make the discounts on baht-priced services/products loose most of their value.

Discounts on USD-priced services/products, such as flight tickets, will still be useful.

Same currency prolems with charging the card.

So.. if my income is in baht -

- I am charged forex comission when I charge the card

- I am charged forex comission when I pay for baht-priced service/product

What will be left of the discounts, I wonder? :o

Edited by ~G~

Hi George

Great idea. The list of potential features is very impressive. In a practical sense restaurant discounts and maybe gym membership or insurance would be the main thing I'd get stuck into, but having access to emergency legal services etc is a great idea...

Just one thing - could you please change the name to something with a little more zing? I suggest it should be called the 'Thailand Elite Gold Card'.

Visa levels

-------------

standard - entry level

Great ... we can all stoke our ego's.... :D

Don't take this the wrong way... but it's a stupid suggestion.. :o

totster :D

Those are the VISA International's current card levels that are available to issuers......not my suggestion, just passing on existing information.

Besides, if it was my idea, I'd need to include the VISA "recycled cardboard" level to accomodate all foreign expats in LOS. :D

Edited by penelope

One problem with "debit type credit cards" issued by banks under the Visa, MC, and other names, is, you are not covered by loss/fraud laws of many countries, as is the case with regular credit cards, which require the card company to assume any fraud loss. Some issuers of debit type cards do indemnify you, but they are not legally required to do so.

More food for thought. :o

I haven't researched this, so I'm just passing something along I read a couple weeks ago in the news media. Somewhere I saw a story saying that the U.S. Congress passed a bill limiting a debit card holder's liability to US$500 or some such. Not as good as *credit* card protection, sure, but if that's correct and a U.S. institution is used, at least there will be some protection.

One problem with "debit type credit cards" issued by banks under the Visa, MC, and other names, is, you are not covered by loss/fraud laws of many countries, as is the case with regular credit cards, which require the card company to assume any fraud loss. Some issuers of debit type cards do indemnify you, but they are not legally required to do so.

More food for thought. :o

I haven't researched this, so I'm just passing something along I read a couple weeks ago in the news media. Somewhere I saw a story saying that the U.S. Congress passed a bill limiting a debit card holder's liability to US$500 or some such. Not as good as *credit* card protection, sure, but if that's correct and a U.S. institution is used, at least there will be some protection.

Thanks for heads up regarding the consumer protection. I will check this up ASAP with the people we are having a dialogue with.

Cheers

Fantastic. What are the qualifications? Seems like you are taking on a lot even before you are out of the gate. May want to start with a smaller wish list and add services as membership grows. The bank is important. Please keep the details coming.

I'd be happy if it had a paypal THAILAND type service option also...not sure if this was brought up already :o

"pay online now with ThaiVisa"  :D

Added to the wish list! I think it will work if you have the card registered at Thai address, not sure. Will revert regarding this. Checking it up with Paypal.

I am very interested in being a card user BUT what banks will we be able to pay the account at ? as this could restrict who can use the card.

- Via SWIFT, TT or ETA at any bank office worldwide (incl. Thailand)

- Via your internet banking in Thailand or elsewhere (if your internet bank allows international transfers)

- Send a US dollar check via registered mail.

- Western Union and similar institutions could be an option

You have a winner here George,

especially if you can get the Thai gov to sign in as well.

Then the card will work at the VISA desk in the airport (immigration). :o

I'd be happy if it had a paypal THAILAND type service option also...not sure if this was brought up already :o

"pay online now with ThaiVisa"  :D

Added to the wish list! I think it will work if you have the card registered at Thai address, not sure. Will revert regarding this. Checking it up with Paypal.

Just a suggestion George, for several of our clients we use ThaiEpay.com for online payments. They're based in BKK and we've never had any problems with their service! Very similar to Paypal but the advantage of being based here!

I think expat members of TV should offer a discount for whatever services they offer to card holders, be it restaurants, office work, accountancy, recreation...whatever.

It's easy to take, take, take but we should also give something back.

I know that I would certainly be happy to offer a discount on web design via our company (First-One Media Ltd.) as a kind of "sponsor".