Thailand'S Worst Drivers

which vehicle causes the most concern  

110 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I see your a city boy. :lol: Where is the Iron Buffalo. Number one transport in the country.

Yeah but those guys don't bother me much. They go what? about 20kmh

Which isn't bad during daylight, but at night on an unlit road, they are the most dangerous thing on the road.

Very true

• Like 1

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Volvos..... The mind set of someone who buys them is already distinctive and then it is applied once on the road.. Always slower and overly cautious...

That's a strange reply don't quite know what you mean.!!!

Before I retired one of my company cars was a T5 estate, fantastic fast, any speed freak would love it even today.

The only problem was forgetting who was in the car and having to scrap the dog and the kids off the back window.

Not strange, was that here in Thailand? Different case, different models, different drivers and mentality but still there's more drivers that purchase them with that 'safety first' mindset and who are overly cautious as that is how Volvo's have been promoted, then there are of your mindset..

Thai drivers of both bikes and cars etc I can forgive and in some way understand as they do not know any better. The ones that get my hackles up is the Farang driving like the worst Thai you have met. They have no excuse for their actions. I was getting a lift off a friend of mine when a big fat Farang in his Fortuner stopped at the junction of the side road to turn right, looked at my mate coming towards him and just pulled in front of him. After slithering to a stop he just looked again and drove off. My mate turned the bike around, followed him till he got out of his car at Tesco and

just walked up and sparked him straight out.

Now I am not condoning violence in any way but in that instance they guy got exactly what was coming. I bet he thinks twice before doing the same thing!

sorry i need a translation.

Volvos..... The mind set of someone who buys them is already distinctive and then it is applied once on the road.. Always slower and overly cautious...

Volvo T5 estate, 150 MPH and 0 - 60 MPH in under 6 seconds. Think there will be a lot of Scandinavians and me that would argue your assumption .

Not surprising since you'd argue the sky is blue if I quoted it regardless how wrong you'd be or foolish you'd look.. But still the post stands on it's merits since we are talking generally here about Thailand and not specific models offered in other parts of the world. Is that model readily available in Thailand? Or is it mostly older 240/260's get it??

Also just because a car can perform to such heights has no bearing whatsoever on the driver driving it. How many Ferrari, or even Trans Am owners ever use them to their real potential rather then own them just to say they do and show them off?? My vast experience says the majority of owners don't drive them to the performance levels they were designed is the real answer and Volvo owners are high up in that majority, it's more a status car driven to work and with family to the mall or out to dinner..

Before I retired one of my company cars was a T5 estate, fantastic fast, any speed freak would love it even today.

The only problem was forgetting who was in the car and having to scrap the dog and the kids off the back window.

Not strange, was that here in Thailand? Different case, different models, different drivers and mentality but still there's more drivers that purchase them with that 'safety first' mindset and who are overly cautious as that is how Volvo's have been promoted, then there are of your mindset..

Rubbish, some of us had them cos they are fast, quick and safe, thats why UK police use them as highway chase cars. :rolleyes:

AND Volvo owners don't need or want to angle grind their brake pads.

More mindless tripe. The UK police drive them because they're safe and small they have little need for really fast cars as most of the cars in the UK are also small bore and tight restrictive roads. They did a head to head comparison with an American State trooper Crown Vic and the Volvo got stomped in pace what an idiot remark to make but only slightly less so then the one about brake pads :rolleyes: ...

I can see you driving a Volvo though that completes the perception and quite proves my point...

BTW again was that in Thailand??

Edited by WarpSpeed

I'm done with you T/A you're a fool and I'm not going to be goaded into another shit slinging, thread trashing argument with you just because you're bored with your pitiful life and have nothing better to do but troll..

No it was in the UK. I can see where you were going now. :jap:

Be lucky.

This tread seems to be fast running off the rails. :unsure:

Anyway I have found the worst drivers are usually in black Vigo and Fortuner fourwheel drives.

The only real case of road rage I have seen in thailand was recently when a Vigo late in the evening nearly collided with another car that pulled out wide off a u-turn and the toyota driver swerved to miss him,immediately stopped in the middle of the road,jumped out and tried to stop the other car.I estimated the Vigo to be doing about 80Kmh.

This was on the Moat in CM where there are a lot of motorcycles and sidecars with whole families aboard doing 20 Kmh.

Absolute stupidity and probably drivers of both vehicles inebriated.

You two aren't old pals turned enermies by any chance.............Warpspeed and Transam Pleeeeeeassssssee. stop.

Why don't you two sort it out on the drag strip, shake hands and have a beer after.

I would say, you are both very knowledgeable about car engines etc, so just agree to disagree.

Me I only drive now don't know how to fix em anymore tooooooo !!! complicated.

Gone are the days of the starting handles, full on heavy steering, triple SU carbs and twin choke webbers, distributor points, air controlled windscreen wipers,

adjusting the tappets, mechanical clutches, getting ye old grease gun out and !!! when did you " last " have to change the gearbox oil and the backaxle oil.

I bet the ladies miss ye old choke button to pull out as well, no-where to hang the handbag.

The young whipper snappers of today got it easy, they no nothing except driving around in computer control semi-plastic bullets.

Be lucky buddies.

For my part, as I said, I'm done and well the instigator is obvious..

Never a drag racer but while I get your suggestion it's nothing new as I've already offered something similar and more equitable as a solution but you know it's much easier to sit behind a key board and throw childish flames then to risk being shown the way...

Preferably I'd like it if he'd just put me on ignore or whatever and respond to others but he has this fetish with me wherever I go. Under other circumstances it might be cute but it grows tiring as I don't swing that way..

BTW those days aren't gone, just more exclusive..

Edited by WarpSpeed

The results of this survey do not surprise me and coincide with my observations (4 years of self-driving, mostly Bangkok, but also upcountry).

The most intimidating drivers are found in the Fortuner. They scare the sh*** out of me when they drive so close behind me that I don't see their headlights anymore in my mirror, knowing that their brakes are just awful (mostly still drum brakes). I turn on and off my rear foglight 3 times, that usually helps. I am not a slow driver, I just try to keep a distance to the car in front of me (2 sec on the motorway).

One poster noted the arrogant behavior of drivers of expensive cars. I agree. Seems like the driving manners are inversely proportional to the car's price: the more expensive the care the ruder the driver. One reason why I would not want to drive/own a Mercedes-Benz. I wonder if the people at Mercedes are aware of their bad reputation.

On the motorway I have a hard time passing all the vans on the right-most lane. They wouldn't budge, even if no car visible in front of them.

It seems to me that for some drivers here it is a question of social prestige to drive on the right-most lane.

But the most dangerous vehicles on Thailand's roads and streets are certainly the small motorbikes. In Bangkok at least most of them no wear a helmet, but - just back from Phuket - that's not so in other provinces. Bangkok is bad for motorbikes, but Phuket is crazy!! Also many farangs without helmet, sunglasses and - sadly - no brain.

I blame the Police for most of this chaos. They couldn't care less about what's going on on Thailand's roads. How many times have we seen the Police just ignoring dangerous situations, not intervening, not correcting, not assisting...

transam 32 minutes ago Thailand'S Worst Drivers

MoonRiverOasis Today, 19:25 Thailand'S Worst Drivers

Like I said, childish cronyism... So now you want to start doing childish things like sending negative reputation just out of spite? Received any of those from me have you? So who was that instigator again??

Edited by WarpSpeed

Like I said, childish cronyism... So now you want to start doing childish things like sending negative reputation just out of spite? Received any of those from me have you? So who was that instigator again??

No cronyism from me, I simply disagree with the way you conduct yourself here at times.

• Like 1

^^Yeah I always offend those with whom I reject being their door mat and telling people straight like it is without blowing smoke up someone's tail pipe it's often offensive to those who are doing the blowing..

Still childish response on your part is no less offensive just more childish. A mature person would just rise above it instead of stooping lower like you do..

It's no wonder there is only about 3 or 4 regular posters here as the cronyism is enough to chase away any original well versed and open minded thinkers, who wants to contribute with such antagonists lurking..

I think I'll just send PM's from now on to help people privately who appreciate it, the whole purpose for open advice and discussion is squelched and polluted by a few 'favored' member "experts"..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Nothing to do with spite. The reputation stuff is there for a reason. PERHAPS that might sink in more than me getting annoyed with your constant narssistic remarks. Not just to me.

Give me a neg if l am wrong, if l have slagged someone off, given naff info, thats OK with me and it will show the guys where l went wrong, cool.:)

There are those here that are far more restained than l am, and l apologise for my loss of temper at times but this is a forum and what l think is right will always prevail.

As a spectator this time, I feel happy to add to your postive reputatiion Trans Am. As a reader of this thread, I feel equally happy to give Warpy a negative for showing off his bad attitude so bluntly. As Trans Am said, that is what the stuff is there for

What a bizarre little piss match.

I think Volvo can handle being called safe and potentially fast and they don't really need any defense.

I doubt however there many people in Thailand buying Volvo's for their performance. But I also doubt Volvo drivers quite make it as being the biggest problem on Thai roads.

My vote is for the idiots who drive half the posted speed limit and 1/3 the safe speed on 2 lane highways and force everyone to pass them. (Mostly screwed up old pick up trucks) They are more of a hazard than the speeders. I live close to Highways 332 and 331 near Ban Chang, and I've lost count of the number of passing accidents I've seen on these 2 lane roads.

There is also something about the Fortuners, they seem to be driven as if they are immune from accidents.

Edited by Bobr

Does the Motoring Forum have any marriage guidance counsellors ?

Alternatively, perhaps a couple of this forums more prolific contributors should lube up and get a room.

Nice one but something tells me there not like that !!! Distributors at ten paces would be more like it.

Rather than having any use to do with driving this post only goes to show the limitations of the poster's perceptions and driving abilities.

Firstly if you decide a particular type of car is driven in a certain way every time you see it you will reenforce that perception but you don't realise that you are not "seeing" all the other tyopes doing the same.

the usual comments are something like.........

"Look at that...and its a Fortuner AGAiN" - you're actually looking for justification of your own prejudice.

Surly one must admit that if you feel the need to deride other drivers and are permanently surprised or shocked by other road users the fault probably lies with yourself - you simply aren't a good driver?

I am simply interested in other peoples perceptions. In the west I have no preconception of vehicle type connected to driver type. Probably because of the lack of near death experiences. In Thailand however you really do take notice because it is dangerous. And when you are in an uncontrolled situation you begin to look for patterns that might keep you a survival edge.

For example On a motorbike it is dangerous to be in the left lane when a song tow is in the right lane. The reason: they jump to the left without warning. They also stop quick and pull back out of the left lane without warning. So do buses, but they often employ a lookout.

And I genuinely do think that Fortuners attract a certain type of driver that feel like they bought the rights to the whole road when they bought the SUV; and that they are entitled to weave in and out of lanes at high speeds to everyone else's peril. Kind of a overcompensation for a penile or status deficit.

I am simply interested in other peoples perceptions. In the west I have no preconception of vehicle type connected to driver type.

Nonsense - you've already made a list!

Probably because of the lack of near death experiences. In Thailand however you really do take notice because it is dangerous. And when you are in an uncontrolled situation you begin to look for patterns that might keep you a survival edge.

Nonsense - you should drive properly! - oyou are still relying on your own limited - perceptions but you don't seem to acknowledge this even to yourself.

For example On a motorbike it is dangerous to be in the left lane when a song tow is in the right lane. The reason: they jump to the left without warning. They also stop quick and pull back out of the left lane without warning. So do buses, but they often employ a lookout.

now you are trying to make up rules to compensate for your own lack of driving ability.

And I genuinely do think that Fortuners attract a certain type of driver that feel like they bought the rights to the whole road when they bought the SUV; and that they are entitled to weave in and out of lanes at high speeds to everyone else's peril. Kind of a overcompensation for a penile or status deficit.

So there you go QED!!!!

What Are ypu trying to say when at the end of your post you ADMIT it?!?!?!?

Edited by Deeral

I am simply interested in other peoples perceptions. In the west I have no preconception of vehicle type connected to driver type.

Nonsense - you've already made a list!

Firstly I said in the west I have no preconceptions. Secondly the list I made was of types of vehicles found on Thai roads, not just bad ones.

Probably because of the lack of near death experiences. In Thailand however you really do take notice because it is dangerous. And when you are in an uncontrolled situation you begin to look for patterns that might keep you a survival edge.

Nonsense - you should drive properly! - oyou are still relying on your own limited - perceptions but you don't seem to acknowledge this even to yourself.

How do you know how I drive, I have been driving for 31 years and never caused a collision, and that includes 7 years here. You are operating on severely limited perception, you've never seen me.

now you are trying to make up rules to compensate for your own lack of driving ability.

No I am paying attention and learning, you are the one making things up about how you assume I drive. Just out of curiosity what kind of car do you drive?

An one more thing; posting is a little like driving and if you don't do it right you screw things up for others. Next time Don't add colored text to my quotes, learn how to nest quotes so people can respond without making a mess of the conversation.