Thai Coins, Where Do They Vanish To?

contemplating

Just wondering, and trying to figure out why there is such a shortage of coins in Thailand. I have a minimart, and we are always out of coins, my neighbors are always out of coins, and yesterday, the bank was even out of coins. Seems that most of our customers only want to pay in bills, so by the evening, we are out of coins to give change. I thought I could go to the bank and get enough coins to last a week or so, but only got 100 baht.

Do Thai people just save the coins at home, and if they do, what do they do with them? My TGF hates it when I try to pay for something with the exact change. Maybe it looks like cheap charlie?

If someone has an idea why this shortage of coins, I would like to hear, but please dont tell me to go back to my own country, if I dont like it here! That seems to be the standard answer for every post.

I put mine in a big bowl. When full, I bring to the local 7eleven and I take back a 4/5000 Baht.

I had roughly the same amount in coins and the bank didn't want them when I took them there. I taped them into bundles of ten and took them to the local 7-11. I was apprehensive at first but they couldn't have been happier to receive them. Now I do it all the time and the message from them is "keep 'em coming".

So, to suggest an answer to the OP I would say that these coins are sitting around in people's homes and if the reaction I got from the bank is a common one it would suggest that it would prevent a lot of coins from re-entering circulation.

Edited by Hardback

I'm upcountry and we're always needing coins.

The provincial Governors building has a bank where we can buy as many coins as we want.It's not your usual commercial bank, more like a reserve bank. They also accept bags of coins if you need to empty your piggy bank.

There must be a place in Pattaya that does the same.

So, to suggest an answer to the OP I would say that these coins are sitting around in people's homes and if the reaction I got from the bank is a common one it would suggest that it would prevent a lot of coins from re-entering circulation.

I would suspect there is some truth to this. I haven't seen many banks that have any coin processing equipment, such as scales or counters. Nor have I seen any coin packaging materials, such as coin tubes. For a bank, coins would be a real headache to process.

Most Thai coins emigrate at the slightest chance.

Always finding them in a handful of Singapore $ coins when at the shops.

They seem to knock about with Malaysian Ringits a lot too.

27 August 2010 Last updated at 00:01 GMT

Share this page

Years of saved pocket change buys van in China

_48886656_jex_790899_de27-1.jpg Extra staff were brought in to count the money

A man has paid for a van in China with 100,000 yuan ($14,700; £9,500) in pocket change he gathered over years, state television reports.Mr Zhao, a businessman, dropped bundles of notes, none worth more than one yuan - about $0.15 - at the dealership in Jining, in northern Shandong province.Extra staff had to be brought in to work shifts to count it all, a clerk at the dealership said.Mr Zhao received the notes from customers at his printing business.Finding a dealership to accept the notes, many of them stained and torn, was not easy, he said."I held onto the money waiting to see if they would accept it so that I could buy the car. The manager of this dealership decided to accept my cash, so that was really helpful to me," he said.After hours of counting, the staff at the dealership confirmed he had provided exact change."Our finance department originally had three or four people counting the money, but that was certainly not enough," said Chen Ying, a cashier with the dealership."So we added some colleagues from the sales department, they came in the morning and worked all day, and then we added another shift. We finally finished counting all of the money."

Considering this topic I thought this article on the BBC news today might be of interest.....Cant see anyone in Thailand accepting this though, can you????????????

Petroleum products! :blink:

If you need coins, go and change them at your local service station. For some reason, when the price of fuel is expensive (opposite occurs when fuel is cheap :huh: ), many customers use coins to pay for their petrol.

We currently collect over 20,000B per week in coins at our service station.

Like others I throw all mine in a bowl, wooden in my case, been throwing them in for over ten years, can barely pick the bowl up now, would have to be pretty bored or skint to start counting them!

I use them to pay the Motorway toll. Small denominations (25, 50 Satang and 1 Baht) I collect in a small box until they reach 30 Baht - the amount to pay at the toll booth.

So what is the going rate at toll at the basjke exit these days :whistling:

I use them to pay the Motorway toll. Small denominations (25, 50 Satang and 1 Baht) I collect in a small box until they reach 30 Baht - the amount to pay at the toll booth.

So what is the going rate at toll at the basjke exit these days :whistling:

Some stories spread fast these days, don't they....:huh: