Gps

cdmtdm

Hey Guys , what is the best make of GPS and model suitable for Thailand ?? to fit on a touring bike ..... and then where in everyones opinion is the best place to buy it , i am in Phuket but will travel to Bangers no problems

Cheers

If you want water proof then its the Zumo. Or save many dollars/baht/pounds and get a cheap nuvi200 and a waterproof case. google gps waterproof case and choose.

this is the one i got.

post-62652-090655800 1283356776_thumb.jp

You can get them here for 990b.  I'm sure eagle will have them.

Depends what you want it for..

Nuvi line are cheap and great for in car and basic navigation.

60csx, more rugged, easily clips on a belt, does worse for the pretty car nav screen but has loads more options, tracks, much better waypoint operations, geo-tagging photos, altimeter, etc etc.. Its more than just a vehicle GPS but does double duty on that front. Theres a new one of these 6x series but not read up on its features yet. Plus I get 18 - 20 hours out of a couple of easily findable batteries. Seen some others start failing after 4 - 6 hours.

Zumo is the bike dedicated one.. I wrote it off instantly as it has no battery, only works wired in to the bike, and I want something thats more portable (its a big funny block shape).

I too settled for a low level Garmin 200 series and saw them recently at Carrefour for 4-5000 baht, including a Thai "street guide."

However, mine, a 205, cannot do many things. For example, there is no realistic way for the rider to bring oral directions up into the helmet (via cell phone, whatever). On the other hand, it is fine for determining real speeds, trip distances, locating coordinates, figuring legs and trips, and stopping when needed to check out progress, as it scans out and in. If it has begun to spit rain or it's clear that rain's coming, I hide it safely. Driving in the rain with reference to a GPS is something few would attempt, not even me.

In fact, I've never once seen anyone here advocate driving and using a GPS regularly on a bike, unless maybe you're driving a Fino or PCX uphill. (Tony's offer might well be ideal because while it is second hand, you know its provenance. If you want the features of that model (many); it is about as useful to him as rear view mirrors, less.)

More information than anyone here is likely to offer is available on a ThVi BPS forum! Software is important too, of course.

CMX, I think that riding in the rain is one of the times that my Zumo gets used the most. It's real handy finding the nearest petrol station....basically if it's on ESRI's maps there's a really good chance that there's an overhang that you can hide under.

Perhaps I'm not advanced enough of a rider. Or perhaps I'm just too stupid (probably this reason).

dave_

Thanks.

So far, I have just either "rain-suited" up and searched, or searched in the wet. I do have ESRI, happily. Waterproofing would be particularly important if I had purchased one of the models allowing for voice commands.

I guess a plastic sandwich bag won't quite do the job of rain proofing either. When it comes to setting up a new bike, it is just one (fun) decision after another.

Of course, one of my problems in deciding about a GPS is the extraordinarily intense attention required in driving a powerful and rocket-fast machine like a Tiger 250RS. So much to do, so little time to do it.

Edited by CMX

dave_

Thanks.

So far, I have just either "rain-suited" up and searched, or searched in the wet. I do have ESRI, happily. Waterproofing would be particularly important if I had purchased one of the models allowing for voice commands.

I guess a plastic sandwich bag won't quite do the job of rain proofing either. When it comes to setting up a new bike, it is just one (fun) decision after another.

Of course, one of my problems in deciding about a GPS is the extraordinarily intense attention required in driving a powerful and rocket-fast machine like a Tiger 250RS. So much to do, so little time to do it.

You're going to fast. Zoom in, find those nice little side roads that pique your interest and explore! Your bike is much better suited to that than mine so don't be afraid.

Yes, Dave -

your notion about sideroads raises a terrific GPS question: Are the GT-Rider maps better for exploring side roads, or ESRI mapping? I'm sure of GT-Rider's accuracy, for a number of reasons, but with regard to lesser traveled options, haven't yet even tried the GPS.

As for fears, you are not wrong. I've discovered that at least some of the resorts listed on the GT-Rider maps, even some at lower altitudes, are without air-conditioning! Clearly neither a GPS nor the best of maps can replace pre-trip planning. For all I know, ESRI maps suggest places with hammocks and mosquito nets. I am a complete innocent among Dengue and Malaria and Japanese elephantiasis.

Yes, Dave -

your notion about sideroads raises a terrific GPS question: Are the GT-Rider maps better for exploring side roads, or ESRI mapping? I'm sure of GT-Rider's accuracy, for a number of reasons, but with regard to lesser traveled options, haven't yet even tried the GPS.

As for fears, you are not wrong. I've discovered that at least some of the resorts listed on the GT-Rider maps, even some at lower altitudes, are without air-conditioning! Clearly neither a GPS nor the best of maps can replace pre-trip planning. For all I know, ESRI maps suggest places with hammocks and mosquito nets. I am a complete innocent among Dengue and Malaria and Japanese elephantiasis.

Guys thanks for all the very helpful info , i am new to GPS systems please explain ESRI and Gt Riders maps etc bit confused , how and where do you buy the software at what cost etc ?? and Tony i met you with GR in Samui Bike Week CDM ...PM me with the price you want for your GPS and is yours portable ???

Yes, Dave -

Guys thanks for all the very helpful info , i am new to GPS systems please explain ESRI and Gt Riders maps etc bit confused , how and where do you buy the software at what cost etc ?? and Tony i met you with GR in Samui Bike Week CDM ...PM me with the price you want for your GPS and is yours portable ???

Oooh, a two-fer.

CMX, I have never used GT-Rider's maps so I can't compare them vis-à-vis to ESRI's. I do know that there's karaokes and snooker halls in the middle of nowhere according to ESRI. However it does have all the petrol stations I've came across (even some the larger ones that weren't affiliated with any big oil company) and is pretty good on the food side also. Since I'm a hyper-miler I usually make it home at the end of the ride and can't comment on the hotels.

cdmtdm, GT-Rider have their own maps available here. ESRI is an (the only IIRC) authorised dealer of Garmin products and software in LOS. You can buy the unit through them (helpful if you have warranty issues) or do what I did and bring it in to the following address:

100/38-39 SATHORN NAKORN BLDG 22ND FLOOR

NORTH SATHORN RD

BANKOK 10500

Phone: 2 6368421

Fax: 2 266 9944

Unfortunately I forget what I paid for it; but you get one free upgrade.

OP,

Golden Triangle Riders is a motorcycle group that among other beneficial activities publishes maps for riding in the north. They are wonderfully detailed and are durable, the best traveling maps that I've found up in the North.

GPS units themselves have many possible features and manufacturers are adding to them all the time. Of course, with added features, the cost goes up. Motorcycle models are often very expensive, as they are specially resistant to vibration and rain and may feature bluetooth connections to helmets and/or cell phones..

The software maps are a matter of some contention here in Thailand. Many of us believe that the ESRI maps, which are almost always, these days, inserted as simm cards onto the GPS device, have the best mapping here in Thailand.

I must alert you to the fact that these suggestions come from that GPS Forum here on ThVi that I mentioned above, information gathered haphazardly via the Internet, and from using some models of GPS devices in cars. I have not tested anything here in Thailand other than my own purchases. The reason why some have suggested that you go to a supplier or dealer is that understanding the options (and prices) come more easily in person.

Let me add that the software (maps) are usually offered (included) with the GPS device.

Edited by CMX

In fact, I've never once seen anyone here advocate driving and using a GPS regularly on a bike, unless maybe you're driving a Fino or PCX uphill.

Riding / touring with a GPS is such a much more relaxing experience.. No sweating roadsigns or wondering how far to the destination, no fear of going the wrong way, no worrys about petrol locations.. Arriving to a city and finding the most direct route through it without hesitation is worth the price alone.

Never without on on roads I dont know.

Yes, I certainly was unclear.

I meant to say that few riders, or none that I knew, believed in using a GPS much while doing any riding that involved attention. I agree that pulling over at quiet points in the country is reassuring and immediate and can save time and worry.

Also, the models that broadcast into one's earphones are terrific in cities - nothing better.

Useful otherwise as well. But as I indicated, I find studying a map (for country riding) in the morning pretty good for orientation as well.

Geocaching aside, it's also fun to know that if I follow a road just anywhere, I can find my way from there to my destination without much effort.

Edited by CMX

• 4 months later...

Have anyone her usded  TomTom Urban Rider gps in Thailand. Bought one yesterday (paid 10 000 baht in norway for it), just finished installing a thai map on it.  Looking forward to have a gps on my next bike trip (nothing beats a 1 houer trip in the wrong direction (in rainy-season), becasue you misread your map.

Have anyone her usded  TomTom Urban Rider gps in Thailand. Bought one yesterday (paid 10 000 baht in norway for it), just finished installing a thai map on it.  Looking forward to have a gps on my next bike trip (nothing beats a 1 houer trip in the wrong direction (in rainy-season), becasue you misread your map.

• 4 weeks later...

Have anyone her usded TomTom Urban Rider gps in Thailand. Bought one yesterday (paid 10 000 baht in norway for it), just finished installing a thai map on it. Looking forward to have a gps on my next bike trip (nothing beats a 1 houer trip in the wrong direction (in rainy-season), becasue you misread your map.

I was planning to get a new GPS for my bike... I started using the TomTom iPhone App in Malaysia while I was there recently, so I grabbed the Thailand version as well. The flexibility of using my phone gps is great in theory, and so I just installed the TomTom car kit on my 650 Ninja. (Power not connected yet, and still need an elegant solution for waterproofing, though I used a removable mount.)

The convenience factor of using the iPhone rather than a separate unit is great, but I am no thrilled with the TomTom maps. I imagine the maps used in the iPhone app are from their same source maps.

It has routed me in some wierd places, and missed several flyovers. It also doesn't differentiate the through Soi's from the minor Soi's. (My Garmin GPS in my car clearly shows the main Soi network.)

I'll persist for now, and TomTom's Mapshare allows users to make corrections to their maps, which is a great concept, but there's a lot of correcting to do, from my limited experience.

For the Garmin units, I have been using a Garmin Nuvi in my car for more than 2 years, and the mapping has been perfectly reliable.

As for GPS use in my car (and I intend to use that also on my bike) I have always used my telephone (WM) with GPS and with some software. I did just read that Route 66 has a free to use Route 66 maps, works same like Nokia Maps.

And a little piece of "GPS Cycle Computer" software makes KML files for me (so I know where I have been).

I now use a RAM-mount both for my car & bike, great things (strong & steady).

The only thing is .... indeed my phone will not be water-proof (or small stone proof although it is behind the wind-screen). I do not intend to look on the screen when driving with the bike.

Chang Noi

Have anyone her usded TomTom Urban Rider gps in Thailand. Bought one yesterday (paid 10 000 baht in norway for it), just finished installing a thai map on it. Looking forward to have a gps on my next bike trip (nothing beats a 1 houer trip in the wrong direction (in rainy-season), becasue you misread your map.

For the Garmin units, I have been using a Garmin Nuvi in my car for more than 2 years, and the mapping has been perfectly reliable.

Hi,

I am using the Garmin nuvi unit as well on my Ninja 250, has workld like a charm for the past year, running one clean waterproof line from the battery to the unit. I believe the GPS store 2ns flr in fourtune mall on ratchada rd. is now selling the waterproff covers for the gps unit for 1000bht.

J

:jap:

Many people have a PDA-phone, so am I, so it was the most easy way to install a GPS software on my phone (for Thailand NaVnGo I GO 8) .

I put it in my tankbag or in a pocket of my jacket with an ear plug.

The second advantage is that you only have to carry one piece with you (as you normaly always have with you)

The latest ESRI 11.0 maps come with junction view, that allows you to understand complex junctions better as you come up to them. Might be worth buying a higher spec Garmin which supports junction view for this? Just loaded up 11.0, but havn't had a chance to try it out yet (or compare against 10.2).

Myself I use a Nuvi 205. Basic. I find the charging to be a little troublesome, to the point that I have tried to use it without power a couple of times to find it dead (and I thought it had been charged).

I did use it in Bali with some free Indonesia maps, and it was pretty useful (we hired a Mio and explored the whole island)! I also use it in the UK, but I find an Andriod phone is more useful (since you are pretty much near a base station anywhere in the UK). I am hoping to load up maps of Laos in the Nuvi when we go there next month in the pickup.

Tomtoms are popular in the UK, but if you want truly international coverage I think you need to buy a Garmin.

Andriod phones have Google Maps, which are also pretty good. There is a number of programs that allow you to save the maps offline, so you can use them when you are in the middle of nowhere away from mobile phone base stations. I am not sure how good these are; however its definitely the way things are going. Whether you love or hate Google they have a habit of worming their way into your life one way or another! Mind you the points of interest on ESRI takes some beating even of the Garmin interface is starting to look a bit dated!

GPS works well in a car, but I find with biking I like to stop and check where I am from time to time. Kind of takes the enjoyment away from biking if you are constantly looking at the gps rather enjoying the ride or scenery?

Has anyone tried a bluetooth gps with a bluetooth headset in your ear? Strikes me as a good way to get directions without looking at the gps all the time? Especially if you are in Bangkok and have a specific route you want to follow? Would be interested in anyones experiences.

Edited by MaiChai