Red Shirts To Hold Mass Rally In Chiang Mai Sept 18

webfact

Red shirts to hold mass rally in Chiang Mai Sept 18

The red-shirt movement will hold two-day rally in Chiang Mai on September 18 and 19 to mark the 4th anniversary of the 2006 coup.

Somyos Prueksakasemsuk, the leader of the June 24Group, said the red-shirt people will hold a procession on June 18 and will hold a rally in the evening from 5 pm to 11 pm.

The rally will continue on September 19.

They will also release flying lanterns as a symbol to light up the country, Somyos said.

He said the red-shirt movement cannot hold a rally in Bangkok because the capital remains under the state of emergency.

But some 50 red-shirt bicyclists will ride on Bangkok streets to the Rajprasong Intersection at 1 pm to tie red cloths at the Intersection sign.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-03

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But some 50 red-shirt bicyclists will ride on Bangkok streets to the Rajprasong Intersection at 1 pm to tie red cloths at the Intersection sign
.A question that begs to be asked. After they tie the red cloths, will they BURN them? Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

What happened to reconcilliation?

Reconciliation may start with recognizing the truth, both the part you like and the part you don't like. Some (and not only reds) are still in the 'glow' of the first.

One of the few remaining places they may get a mass to gather.Be interesting to see what support they actually have.

As for the cyclists in Bangkok I assume that would constitute a gathering contrary to the emergency laws and they will be subject to arrest?

One of the few remaining places they may get a mass to gather.Be interesting to see what support they actually have.

As for the cyclists in Bangkok I assume that would constitute a gathering contrary to the emergency laws and they will be subject to arrest?

In the name of reconciliation the cyclists will probably be 'tolerated' although they shouldn't stay too long blocking the crossing, 19th is shopping Sunday. Mind you there will be groups condemning the government if they allow the happening; and other groups to condemn if they don't allow.

The govt will have its 2011 Budget passed within a few weeks. Before the PM said that was a "must do" in order to hold early elections. After that "must do" is water under the bridge I expect there will be more "must do's" which must be accomplished before an early election could be called. When the dust settles, the PM will call for early elections late next year, probably about 1-3 months before elections must be called due to end of their current term. That's about as early as it's going to get.

Edited by Pib

hold a procession on June 18 and will hold a rally in the evening from 5 pm to 11 pm.

The rally will continue on September 19.

June 18? Kind of late aren't they?

More incompetence from The Nation. I really hope no one here takes their reports as the only source of news. Not only is there bias, there are flat-out falsehoods be they intentional or not.

The govt will have its 2011 Budget passed within a few weeks. Before the PM said that was a "must do" in order to hold early elections. After that "must do" is water under the bridge I expect there will be more "must do's" which must be accomplished before an early election could be called. When the dust settles, the PM will call for early elections late next year, probably about 1-3 months before elections must be called due to end of their current term. That's about as early as it's going to get.

Off topic .

But was wondering why you think the Govt should hold early elections?

The MP's who are there now were elected by the people to govern the country for the full term.

Seems to me reasonable that they should do that.

Back on topic

Wonder if the reds really think they will do anyone any good be holding more rallys.

After all their parlimentry arm has just said they want to have peace talks.

But some 50 red-shirt bicyclists will ride on Bangkok streets to the Rajprasong Intersection at 1 pm to tie red cloths at the Intersection sign.

And they will sell Somtham Lao for only five baht one hit...........:ph34r:

At their last rally not under a state of emergency (SOE), they garnered 200

No SOE in Chiang Mai and a 500 turnout in Thaksin's home base. Seems they're getting further and further away from their purported turnouts of 1,000,000.

:rolleyes:

The "Red in the Land" is certainly getting to be a paler shade:

r267120238.jpg

Anti-government protesters from the Red Sunday group perform a skit during a rally in Chiang Mai province, north of Bangkok August 22, 2010. The gathering of about 200 people took place less than a week after the government lifted the state of emergency in the northern province of Chiang Mai.

REUTERS

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//100822/ids_photos_wl/r91707833.jpg/#photoViewer=/100822/ids_photos_wl/r267120238.jpg

=======================================================================

Sorry, I stand corrected. It was a massive rally of 200, not 500.

Let's say that it went the same direction as most of the budget and most other promises of the Abhisit government: Down the drain.

Unfounded remarks are allowed, but don't really help in a discussion forum. Such remarks can only go the same way: down the drain ;)

Edited by rubl

Off topic .

The MP's who are there now were elected by the people to govern the country for the full term.

Back on topic

Wonder if the reds really think they will do anyone any good be holding more rallys.

After all their parliamentary arm has just said they want to have peace talks.

Why should they possibly how early elections? For one reason the PM said he would if certain conditions were met (like passing the 2011 Budget), but there will always be a new condition. But with the govt finally getting the upper hand in the Red Shirt protests (thank goodness), I expect early elections like late this year or early next year is a remote possibility. The type of govt that Thailand has (basically a parliamentary system) can easily result in frequent/early elections since the PM can pretty much call for new elections "anytime" before the government's term ends; but usually this don't happen unless the party in power loses major political support and they feel an early election would be the best timing for their party. Bottomline, the next election timing is going to boil down to what the PM determines is in the best interest of the country "and his political party," which IMHO will be a few months before the term ends. One thing for sure, due to recent/ongoing events the next election is going to be a hotly contested one--much more so than a normal election.

Off topic .

Back on topic

After all their parlimentry arm has just said they want to have peace talks.

<snip>

Why don't you go take your medicine first.

The current government was put together by elected MP's following rules/regulations/constitution. They will call an election at least for November 2011 as that's the legal deadline. PM Abhisit may dissolve the house before, but doesn't have to. The government doesn't have to buy MP's, rats are aleady leaving the sinking ship they leaped on early 2000 when K. Thaksin bought them into the then TRT.

As for starving millions, do I really have to react on that.

Man, you really are a sick human being.

Edited by toptuan
Sweeping, unsubstantiated generalizations quoted in a removed post.

But some 50 red-shirt bicyclists will ride on Bangkok streets to the Rajprasong Intersection at 1 pm to tie red cloths at the Intersection sign
.A question that begs to be asked. After they tie the red cloths, will they BURN them?

<snip>

Also It is time to bring back the emergency order to Chaing Mai to stop these nonsense.

Edited by toptuan
Inflammatory comment removed.

Several inflammatory and trollish posts have been edited or removed from this forum. Please tone down the rhetoric a bit, and be reminded of the following forum rules:

4) Not to flame fellow members.

Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.

Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

6) Not to post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a false statement about another person, which causes that person to suffer harm. Libel involves the making of defamatory statements in a printed or fixed medium, such as a magazine or newspaper.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

As a business owner in Chiang Mai I am begging, pleading and groveling for the PM to re-institute the ban on gatherings in Chiang Mai. Our summer season was destroyed (about %40 of what it should have been) because of the political problems. What are these people thinking. When I saw the red shirts parading down the Sunday walking street market again my heart sank. I scraped by in hopes tourists would have forgotten about all this by winter and we could recoup some of our losses. Doesn't any body realize that travel plans will be made for winter travel in the next month? I am wondering why Thais will not become a voice to stop this before it starts. I know personally 30 businesses (that include Thais) that will close permanently if they don't get a good winter income. The amount of foreign owned businesses up for sale now are too many to mention and many more will follow and with sorrow that their love affair with this country is over will move on to another place to call home. I would love to continue to call Thailand my home (I have lived here 9 years now) but I cannot afford to lose any more money and live with no certainty of the future. I hope there is a place we business owners foreign and Thai can all can be a strong voice to the PM to pay attention to this major problem. We need to kill the monster while it is still a baby and not let this grow again to an unmanageable problem.

So I am begging to PLEASE BAN GATHERINGS again.

• Like 2

Don't forget what the reds did to Bangkok. They try to get even 50 smelly piss-drenched cyclists here in Bangkok, run the fuc_k them over with your cars.

Inciting violence is against the forum rules. Apart from that, let them cycle through BKK. If peacefully, route known by police, tolerate them. Why not.