18 Year Old Moving To Thailand?

kevbomac05

so im coming to Thailand on a one way ticket the 27th of September

i make a little money from the computer

what would you recommend for the rainy season

ill be traveling around all over and to other countries too

what backpack do you recommend

ill be staying in hostels so should i book online or is it best to bargian and go to the place and see the room and stuff?

never been out of the country from the united states

any advice would be appreciated?

also dont have a visa yet but i got the form any help on that would be great

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At least a Tourist Visa and/or flight out of the country pre-booked before the 30 days is up (or 60 days with visa) to satisfy immigration... don't need to use the flight. Air Asia can be booked online.

Send off for visa at Houston consulate - (713) 229-8733

Weather transitional at that time... the Gulf probably being the driest.

Berghaus do a good rucksack - get a non-flashy colour so you don't standout in a crowd so much. Roll clothes to minimize creasing / maximise packing space.

Pack light. Everything can be had here.

No need to book digs until December-February, and even then you could just turn up and check room first - many cheap digs won't have websites.

Have a hotel booked for first few nights, though.

Wikitravelis perhaps the best no-mess travel resource nowadays and has phone numbers of digs.

Don't wear a bumbag (you call them fanny packs).

Keep abreast of Thai Visa New Clippings for possible political unrest.

Firstly, I would recommend you book another ticket for a flight to a neighbouring country. Airport immigration giving you troubles (and maybe refusing entry) because you have no return flight and are essentially a tourist are not unheard of. For instances, I often book separate flights (OZ-BKK-OZ and BKK-EU-BKK) where the dates of arrival and departure exceed the 30 days on-spot visa. Several times I had to produce the itinerary of the second leg proving that I'd be leaving in time.

Secondly, I'd say go for it. It'll be a good experience and I have done it as well when I was your age. Just dont be too naive when it comes to visa regulations and abide by them. Familiarise yourself with the rules now, so that you wont get any nasty/ expensive surprises later.

I'm not sure if you even CAN come to Thailand on a one way ticket. I would take Guesthouse's suggestion and check all other sources. Coming from an ajoining country MIGHT be an option. In any case you will need to get an entry visa stamped after 30 days or you will be in the country illegally. Thailand has clamped down on that in recent years. The best option is to get a triple entry tourist visa and extend it three more times. But, that would require a return ticket. If you can Not afford a return ticket then you really can't afford to come to Thailand.

Technically, people are allowed to board on a one way ticket with a visa in their passport (I have done that). I would agree in the case of a young backpacker it may be prudent to have an air ticket out of Thailand to a neighboring country within the visa period, for example 60 day visa, leaving within 60 days.

Another comment. If the OP is actually serious about staying in S.E. Asia long term, Thailand is not going to be an easy or affordable place for that, visa-wise. A better option may be Cambodia.

Edited by Jingthing

From the very simple questions you ask l would suggest you cancel your Robinson Crusoe trip and just holiday for a few weeks. :unsure:.

Yeah, that too, but why listen to a bunch of old fogeys?

Gawd are you both really so old as you can't remember your youth? :P

Sure his money will run out and he'll likely go home at that point but what the hel_l tell him how to get the most value for his $$$.

I remember. I was a backpacker traveling abroad at age 15. I had a return ticket. No offense, but the OP sounds out of touch with what he is getting into. People, young and old, are going to do what they are going to do though. Next ...

Edited by Jingthing

I remember. I was a backpacker traveling abroad at age 15. I had a return ticket. No offense, but the OP sounds out of touch with what he is getting into. Next ...

The OP is doing it without the safety net.....woooo! :D

If he tries to leave in his current state, one way ticket, no visa, no ticket out, he won't even be allowed on the airplane. Big adventure that, go to airport, go back home.

Next ...

Edited by Jingthing

You have to show an exiting flight ticket when getting a 60 day tourist visa.

Depends on the consulate policy, but that's a good point. Probably needed. I did when I did my one way ticket flight here, I just bought a cheap throwaway ticket to Malaysia.

Edited by Jingthing

Depends on the consulate policy, but that's a good point. Probably needed. I did when I did my one way ticket flight here, I just bought a cheap throwaway ticket to Malaysia.

No doubt the OP having been unaware of this will be sorting it out and giving you a vote of thanks.....:whistling:

From the very simple questions you ask l would suggest you cancel your Robinson Crusoe trip and just holiday for a few weeks. :unsure:.

Yeah, that too, but why listen to a bunch of old fogeys?

Gawd are you both really so old as you can't remember your youth? :P

Sure his money will run out and he'll likely go home at that point but what the hel_l tell him how to get the most value for his $.

No, hence my post.

The stuff he's asking is stuff his mum usually sorts out, think she doesn't know about his permanent exit. :)

:lol: Its quite possibe I grant you that!

I believe that Thailand is waving the charges for tourist visas this year... same as last year. A triple entry is 3 separate 60 day options, but you have to leave the country after each 60 days is up. Then, after your 180 days are up you can apply for another 30 days. That brings to over 200 days with only 3 trips out of country. After 200 days he should have SOME idea of what the travel and accommodation is like. .. and what it costs. When he gets closer to making his trip we can offer him some more advice to save problems. I still say if you haven't a return ticket you are being foolish. And, being foolish in S E Asia can cost you your life. See the thread about the young man who was injured riding a motorbike.

He WON'T get a work permit, so financing his trip while here is NOT an option.

Dear kevbomac05

18 years old, and never been outside your own country?

Wow, I have to say, when you are doing it, you do it big.

Nothing wrong with that, but maybe a bit risky?

Why not a short trip to one the neighbouring countries first?

Just as a little test run.

Being far away, in a very different culture, on your own, at a relatively young age, is not always easy.

Wherever we are in the world, we will pump into bigger or smaller problems/challenges.

As more experienced a traveller becomes, as more he is prepared for these challenges.

Remote areas where the traveller and the locals do not share a common language, will of course represent the biggest challenge if a problem occurs.

I strongly suggest you do a lot of reasearch about this.

One member already suggested another web site as well.

This site is also good.

Keep reading, and asking.

:)

• Like 1

I believe that Thailand is waving the charges for tourist visas this year... same as last year. A triple entry is 3 separate 60 day options, but you have to leave the country after each 60 days is up. Then, after your 180 days are up you can apply for another 30 days. That brings to over 200 days with only 3 trips out of country. After 200 days he should have SOME idea of what the travel and accommodation is like. .. and what it costs. When he gets closer to making his trip we can offer him some more advice to save problems. I still say if you haven't a return ticket you are being foolish. And, being foolish in S E Asia can cost you your life. See the thread about the young man who was injured riding a motorbike.

He WON'T get a work permit, so financing his trip while here is NOT an option.

Good post. The question really for the OP is how much cash do you have for your holiday?.....and it will be a holiday no question just stretch the funds out as far as possible...

And as transam pointed out a quick call home and his parents can sort out the flight home......the joys of youth eh?

dont listen to all these scared little people here... nothing wrong with a little adventure..

thailand is pretty safe.. just make sure you have some money somewhere for an emergency if you have to leave or have a situation..take care of your visa (u can always do a visa run)

and maybe ask (if u can) for your parents or some family to keep that emergency money for you... always let somebody know where u are and you will be at no more risk than somewhere else

just a question if u never left the US why is your english so poor

• Like 1

Wrong!

I am just back from Belgium, with a -new- tourist visa, on a the second leg of my return ticket bought in Bangkok a month ago.

And I am doing this, at least once a year, for the last ten years.

Wrong!

I am just back from Belgium, with a -new- tourist visa, on a the second leg of my return ticket bought in Bangkok a month ago.

No, right actually. The OP is starting from the US. We are talking about the US Thai embassy and consulates.

Edited by Jingthing

Wrong!

Please go to either the Thai embassy in Singapore, Vietnam or Myanmar. You can either read on the wall or be told by the girl at the desk you MUST show an exit ticket.

Wrong my ass....